Why the Propaganda?

We have all witnessed it. People on this site, and out in the world, inventing lies about the Catholic Church. I just went a couple of rounds with someone over this very thing on another thread. My question is why? If the Reformation and being Protestant is so great, why do some Protestants have to lie to make their point? Is the arguement that weak? Where are the lies being taught?

Finally, have the Protestants on this forum, and out in the world, ever considered that if they are reading authors and hearing preachers that they respect tell them these lies…how can they then trust these authors and preachers with something as important as their salvation?

I think lie is a strong word and I honestly do not believe they are lying. Many people earnestly believe what they preach just as fervently as you believe in Catholicism.

I think it is more of a case of being blinded to the truth. I also think the only thing that will break this barrier is prayer.

Brad, there will always be lies told about Christians, by both other Christians and non Christians. (Catholics aren’t the only ones to suffer. On this site, there are beliefs, lies and half-truths told by Catholics about Protestants that just aren’t true, either.)

That is why I am here. To learn the truth about Catholics so that when I hear a lie, I can recognize it right away. Before I started seeking the truth on my own, my heart wasn’t exactly soft toward the Church. Now though, I hear my Protestant bretheren repeat what they’ve heard and I can gently tell them, “no, Catholics don’t really believe that way…”

What I don’t understand about some who attack the Church is that they insist that we’re lying about what we believe.

Example:

Anti-Catholic: Catholics worship Mary.
Catholic: No we don’t.
Anti-Catholic:You’re lying! Why don’t you just admit it?

I don’t understand their logic. If we really worshipped Mary (or insert random other anti-catholic lie), why would we deny it?

Protestants have good purpose, they trully believe in what they have been taught. Even some Catholics that eventually left the Church and joined one of these protestant movements, for the first time in their life trully seeing themselves walk with Christ vs walking through the traditional motions of the Church.

As a former Baptsist, I got caught up in this as well. I read Jack Chick flicks and was convinced that all Catholics were going to hell. Bottom line I was taught this, I did not read the bible and through my own interpretation come up with this idea in my head.

Over the years I became very unhappy, it was like there was too much burden on my heart and soul, I was convinced that if i did not do my job as a christion that you someone of a different faith would burn in hell.

I finnally got onto this site and others and read the bible from a different interpreatation, the only true interpretation, and truthfully the only one that would make me want to be a christian today.

Today I am a Catholic, I still have anger and resentment towards protestants, but my new Catholic Faith give me hope that they might recieve the gift as well, to see and understand all the contradictions and to see the truth with in God’s plan

I see that clearer now, but as a sinner I still struggle with that.

So why the Propaganda?

The devil work with you, even in your spiritual walk with Christ, only to confuse you from right and wrong, while many fundamental protestants have good purpose, they ghet caught up in trying to save people when they should know that Jesus Christ already went down that road for all of us, how hard must that have been on Him, I couldnt have carried all that burden.

I thank God today that I have His Church top fall back to, evertime i have doubt, or continue to think my way is the better way than His way.

I have the rock he set for the foundation of my faith.

[quote=sadie2723]We have all witnessed it. People on this site, and out in the world, inventing lies about the Catholic Church. I just went a couple of rounds with someone over this very thing on another thread. My question is why? If the Reformation and being Protestant is so great, why do some Protestants have to lie to make their point? Is the arguement that weak? Where are the lies being taught?

Finally, have the Protestants on this forum, and out in the world, ever considered that if they are reading authors and hearing preachers that they respect tell them these lies…how can they then trust these authors and preachers with something as important as their salvation?
[/quote]

Most Evangelical Protestants aren’t aware they are passing on misinformation nor are they aware of their anti-Catholic attitudes. They think they’re entitled to be anti-Catholic because they’ve been taught all their lives that the Catholic Church is a false religion that is leading millions to hell. So, they come at us Catholics, guns blazing, with what they think is a righteous cause.

There are those, however, who are so blinded by their bias and their need to be against the Church on principle–the principle that the Church must be wrong–who believe that the ends justify the means, so anything they might say or do that might get people out of the Catholic Church or scare them away from it is perfectly fine because they believe they are rescuing lost souls or are keeping their own people from being deceived by “Romish blandishments.”

I know it may sound funny to cradle Catholic, in particular, but that is how they believe–down to their core. And many an Evangelical, who has neither the time nor the interest to look into the Catholic Church for himself, just swallows what these die-hard types tell him because it reinforces his own prejudices or makes him feel comfortable where he is. And that is the simple truth of the matter.

Thanks all for your comments. Look forward to reading more.

The Catholic Church exists with or without the existence of Protestantism. But Protestantism is eternally in opposition to the Church. Protestant identity largely revolves around “not being Catholic”. The name Protestant bears witness to that fact. All Protestants seem unified on three general issues: Jesus is the Son of God - He died and was Resurrected, the Bible is the Word of God and the Catholic Church is abhorrent. As Catholics we agree with the first two ideas - the third is key. As we know some Protestants are more “like Catholics” than others. For instance, Episcopalians and Lutherans are much closer to Catholicism than Episcopalians and Lutherans are to Evangelicalism or Pentecostalism. Yet they are all unified by #3. In order to maintain this Protestant “unity”, manipulations of truth about the Church are all in a day’s work.

For the most part, most do not look into history or even question what they are told. Mormon, Catholic, JW all get lumped together as a cult. And if you don’t look at history, it is easy not to question things.

For my part, I firmly believe that the START of the lies was by Satan. And people just carry on the lies not knowing or questioning what they hear. *Gossip *in the worst form.

God Bless,
Maria

I don’t think many are lying per se’. I think many of the people believe every word they say is true. It’s dissapointing that if they put half as much energy into focusing on our similarities instead of our difference we would be much closer to becoming the one Church Christ wanted.

Some people are raised to hate Catholics. My brothers wife’s family are Southern Baptist and they boycotted their grandsons baptism because they don’t feel it’s right, and they don’t believe he should be raised Catholic.

I would wager only 10% of our critics knowlingly lie, the rest are just misguided, and repeating what they were taught.

I would consider it a sad day when fellow friends in Jesus would spread lies about each other and imply that just because someone comes on the board and speaks that they impart the ideas and feelings of the entire denomination. I dont like it when people stand up as Adventists and say, WE THINK THIS. Speak for yourself. And others should do the same. Don’t you agree?

[quote=SDAgirl]I dont like it when people stand up as Adventists and say, WE THINK THIS.
[/quote]

Can I assume then, that you don’t have a creed?

Hi All, I think a big part of the problem is a lack of critical thinking. In short, they believe every conspiracy theory that comes their way without questioning them. We are told that in the last days some will have “itching ears” – I understand those ears are referring to a lack of discernment and a lack of critical thinking. I think I am disliked by many “anti-catholics” because I try to understand both sides of an arguement and recognize merritt where I see it.

Hi SDAgirl, I think those of a denominational position should quote official documents like the SDA statements of faith or Catholic documents, followed by this is how I understand such and such. Does that sound more fair?

[quote=Eden]Can I assume then, that you don’t have a creed?
[/quote]

On the contrary we difinitely have a creed. What I mean is when individuals have an opinion about something, state it, and then say “All Adventists (or Catholics) believe as I do” on a certain topic. Dont you have contention on issues inside your own church? Does that mean there are seperate creeds or seperate opinions?

[quote=Daniel Marsh]Hi SDAgirl, I think those of a denominational position should quote official documents like the SDA statements of faith or Catholic documents, followed by this is how I understand such and such. Does that sound more fair?
[/quote]

I think that is a fabulous idea. I think it would lead to more positivity and less bickering about “who has the truth”

[quote=SDAgirl]On the contrary we difinitely have a creed. What I mean is when individuals have an opinion about something, state it, and then say “All Adventists (or Catholics) believe as I do” on a certain topic. Dont you have contention on issues inside your own church? Does that mean there are seperate creeds or seperate opinions?
[/quote]

No. We do not have separate creeds.

One can always find someone who disagrees, but the Catholic Church has the “official” teachings. Those are the teachings that should be debated, not what a friend of a friend who used to be Catholic says.

God Bless,
Maria

[quote=MariaG]No. We do not have separate creeds.

One can always find someone who disagrees, but the Catholic Church has the “official” teachings. Those are the teachings that should be debated, not what a friend of a friend who used to be Catholic says.

God Bless,
Maria
[/quote]

And our church has official teachings as well. I do not say that mine are more important or truthful than yours. I was just saying that if Hitler received Mass, not all Catholics should be called mass murderers. Do you understand the idea of one creed, but personal interpretation?

[quote=SDAgirl]And our church has official teachings as well. I do not say that mine are more important or truthful than yours. I was just saying that if Hitler received Mass, not all Catholics should be called mass murderers. Do you understand the idea of one creed, but personal interpretation?
[/quote]

Godwin’s Law already in effect… :rolleyes:

[quote=Mike_D30]Godwin’s Law already in effect… :rolleyes:
[/quote]

And please don’t interpret me as identifying Hitler with the CC. It was just a type. We have a set statement of beliefs and always have. My original statement so many lines ago was simply that I agreed with the CATHOLIC writer that the ADVENTIST should not make assumptions about the Catholic church based on one persons words. And then it got turned around on me. Is this what I can expect from your chat rooms?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.