Why the resurrection?

The Apostles creed ends with, "I believe in…the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

I got to thinking and wondering…Why the resurrection???

I wonder what purpose it serves in God’s plan. Since we believe that the soul that goes to heaven is already in the presence of God - and since Jesus teaches us that we will not marry but live like angels - eternally (hence no need for sex)…I just wonder what need is there for a bodily resurrection?

Peace
James

Because our souls are *meant *to inhabit a body. People are body AND soul. We will not be fully human until we have our glorified bodies.

I assume you’re speaking specifically of the resurrection of the dead at the end of time, and not at all of Jesus’ own resurrection.

With that assumption in mind, I answer thusly: God created humans as body/spiritual-soul unions. That is our nature. Death is an unnatural human state which was brought upon us as a result of sin. The resurrection of the dead restores us to our natural state, the state in which God created us.

I believe they will be our earthly bodies but glorified correct?

God has created us as composite beings to use the wording of Aquinas.

Being composed of the spiritual realm and material realm is intrinsic to our nature.

We can survive by God’s Grace in our spiritual essence but it is not quite according to our nature.

Believing in the resurrection is critical to us realizing and the early Christians especially that our lives do not end in death. Christ rose from the dead to show us His Plan for our lives! :slight_smile:

Yes, just like Jesus’ risen glorified body.

Because counter to popular wisdom, in being human, it is not “all about soul.”

The soul is the life, but is helpless without a human body to hold, express and move that life.

We need eyes to see, limbs to move, and a head to hold our mind in.

Oh, and skin, to hug our LORD and be hugged by HIM!

ICXC NIKA.

James, keep in mind that there is to be a new heaven and a new earth at the end of time.

*But according to his promise we wait for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. (2 Peter 3:13)

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. (Revelation 21:10)*

All of creation will be re-created anew.

***And he who sat upon the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” *(Revelation 21:5)

Scripture says that God’s will live with us physically in the new creation.

***"Behold, the dwelling of God is with men. He will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself will be with them; *(Revelation 21:3)

God’s “dwelling with man” harkens back to the way it was in the garden before sin and death entered the world. Remember that John’s first line of his Gospel echos the first line of Genesis - In the beginning. This is one of John’s themes, the re-creation of the earth the way it was “In the beginning.” Restoration… making all things new again.

Our first parents lived with God in their midst, they walked with God in the breezy part of the day and spoke to him face to face. That is what is to be re-created. The original design of God will be restored as it was at the beginning of Genesis.

-Tim-

Thanks for all the great answers…

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.