Why the reverence for Latin?

I’d love me some Olde Engish in the Mass!
Those Anglo-Saxons didn’t mess around. Men who were men and women who loved them.

Why Latin?

Many parishes are separated according to what language the Mass is said in—typically, English and Spanish, in the US. If you speak solely English or Spanish, you’ll probably never worship with the members of the parish that speak the language you don’t.

Greater use of Latin, the universal language of the Church, would bring people together who never worship together in Mass. This is the most important aspect of community: worshiping God together, being brought into communion with each other through the Church and the sacraments.

this is the best answer ive heard, and it makes sense. A friend of my son is first generation American, his parents were born in South Korea. They attend the Korean Mass only, so we never see them at mass. It would be nice to see them there, worship together, and converse after mass…but since they prefer to attend in their language (which I would too), we don’t see them.

I love Latin, but I’m not even sure why. I know others will give you the historical background, so I’m just speaking my personal opinion. I think it’s beautiful and ancient and almost other-wordly. It reminds me of the Apostles and the ancient monks.

Indeed, Latin for me is other-worldly in part because it is a “dead language,” not part of my everyday life, my secular life. It is a language associated with Roman Catholic prayer. Latin is a heavenly feast for my senses of hearing and sight, just as frankincense and myrrh are for my sense of smell and Rosary beads are for my sense of touch.

It’s the chanting of Latin that captures me. It fits in nicely with my monastic affections. Latin polyphony does not do much for me, but with plainchant I somehow feel a connection with the very earliest days of monasticism and it reminds me that I’m part of a 1500 year old monastic tradition that is the oldest order in the Church,.

This is so true about being a different person in another language. The feelings I have when I speak German are different to what I feel when I speak English. This is really hard to explain to someone that only speaks 1 language. Becoming fluent in another language is a beautiful thing, you find feelings that though they have the same label, feel somehow qualitatively different. You also gain a connection somehow to a culture. This applies particularly to the Church. Language unites a country. When you speak the same language as someone, it gives you a deeper level of understanding with that person. You can be kind to someone without speaking their language, but you can’t understand them or be close to them personally without sharing a language. If we are all supposed to be in communion with one another in one Church, it only makes sense that we should all share a language. That language would have to fit the purpose of making us feel and act in ways appropriate to the setting. In the case of the liturgy, for the majority of Church history Latin served this purpose beautifully and she still does so today.

I love the Mass prayers, at the very least, sung in Latin.

The first non-English language I learned the Rosary in, was Latin, and I am learning the Angelus and the Latin Gospel in Latin too. The Creeds are, of course, prayers as well, as is the Confiteor, and all are glorious in Latin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.