Why the Second Coming had to pass through a movie first

We say to ourselves, “We will just know it’s the Lord when we see him again.” But will we really?

We die. There are two men standing there. One is surrounded by lights and other human-shaped beings with wing-type things attached. The other man is in darkness, his face looking downward; he looks lonely and alone.

Now, which will we go to? Which one is the Lord? Will we believe that those beings with the wings are angels? Should we??

We will bring our predjudices with us to the other side; our blindnesses.

The movies we are choosing now are determining the afterlife we will love: Where our treasure is, there also is our heart.

Everything we choose now has a bearing on our afterlife, not just what movies we saw. And it is how we take all things into our lives and let them effect us that matters not the things themselves.

[quote=Pace]We say to ourselves, “We will just know it’s the Lord when we see him again.” But will we really?

We die. There are two men standing there. One is surrounded by lights and other human-shaped beings with wing-type things attached. The other man is in darkness, his face looking downward; he looks lonely and alone.

Now, which will we go to? Which one is the Lord? Will we believe that those beings with the wings are angels? Should we??

We will bring our predjudices with us to the other side; our blindnesses.

The movies we are choosing now are determining the afterlife we will love: Where our treasure is, there also is our heart.
[/quote]

We die. There are two movie theatres standing there. One is showing The Passion of the Christ. The other is showing Mulholland Drive.

Which will we go to? Which one will the truly faithful choose?

(actually, it doesn’t matter. When we die we go to be judged, not to make a judgement ourselves :slight_smile: )

Actually, come to think of it Pace’s original post sounds very gnostic…

[quote=Lazerlike42]Actually, come to think of it Pace’s original post sounds very gnostic…
[/quote]

I agree—there’s an implied dualism, an impersonal good versus an impersonal bad, and, instead of being judged based on our previous choices, we “bring our predjudices with us to the other side; our blindnesses”----in short, we’re still making choices at that point. This is very questionable theology, to put it mildly.

How much money do you get advertising these movies over and over?

So then Christ lied to us? He will come though a movie, second coming, then come physically, third coming, and then the judgement?

I don’t think so but even if He did, he would not use a morally offensive piece of trash.

[quote=Della]Everything we choose now has a bearing on our afterlife, not just what movies we saw. And it is how we take all things into our lives and let them effect us that matters not the things themselves.
[/quote]

I should have said that our personal favorite movie reveal what is already in our heart.

[quote=Lazerlike42]We die. There are two movie theatres standing there. One is showing The Passion of the Christ. The other is showing Mulholland Drive. Which will we go to? Which one will the truly faithfull choose?
[/quote]

This is precisely the point I am making. We have two movies here. Both claim to be Christ. They both claim to be ‘master’. Can we love and serve them both? Can they both be right? I don’t know what the final answer will be, but It is looking more and more like they cannot both coexist, because there seem to be two exclusive philosophies behind each.

[quote=Sherlock]I agree—there’s an implied dualism, an impersonal good versus an impersonal bad, and, instead of being judged based on our previous choices, we “bring our predjudices with us to the other side; our blindnesses”----in short, we’re still making choices at that point. This is very questionable theology, to put it mildly.
[/quote]

I didn’t mean that we necessarily will continue to make choices there, but only that initial choice. Or rather, perhaps it happens at that instant of death? But then again, is hell God’s eternal euthanasia?? Either way, I am convinced that ‘the movies’ (i.e. images) are able to go deeper than theology.

Here is the Kreeft article again:

peterkreeft.com/topics/love-sees.htm

[quote=Shinobu]How much money do you get advertising these movies over and over?
[/quote]

Shinobu, You sent me a PM and I didn’t recognize the name, so I think I erased it before opening.

I agree that He wouldn’t use something that (perhaps even for a moment) glamourised sin. I beg you to look again at the movie (for my sake, if I’m wrong about it) and see if you truly feel that sin is glamourised in any way. I only ask you to remember that the Gospels record that Jesus was not ashamed to be seen amongst prostitutes and other sinners.

[quote=Pace]I agree that He wouldn’t use something that (perhaps even for a moment) glamourised sin. I beg you to look again at the movie (for my sake, if I’m wrong about it) and see if you truly feel that sin is glamourised in any way. I only ask you to remember that the Gospels record that Jesus was not ashamed to be seen amongst prostitutes and other sinners.
[/quote]

Being seen amongst them yes, but not while they practiced their sin. He also admonished them for it.

He did not glorify it as this movie does.

Thanks to all who participated in this discussion.
This thread is now closed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.