Why was it God's Will that...?

European nations/peoples would be the peoples to colonize the entire world and spread their culture?

Hi, :slight_smile:

Was it God’s will? Or how much of it was God’s will, or God wrting straight with crooked lines! Self-interest was a good part of the reason to spread.The spread was partly due to a desire to obtain spices, gold and other treasures, and also to spread the gospel as Jesus commanded. Before His ascension, Jesus said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore, make disciples of all the nations; baptise them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teach them to observe all the commands I gave you. And know that I am with you always, yes even to the end of time.” [Matthew 28:17-20]

Many Irish left Ireland ffor the U.S. for a better life, Scotsmen also. My people came to settle in Australia as free settlers following the loss of lands to the English and the scattering of the clans following defeat at the hands of England at the Battle of Culloden. The spread of Christianity was a good outcome. It enabled countries such as yours and mine to establish a basically Christian constitution, which some lobbies seek now to erode. European culture was further carried to other countries following the various wars, by Europeans seeking a better life.

Regards and God bless you, Trishie

I think you will find that the nations kinda “hand off” to each other in batches. One moment it’s Jews spreading the Gospel, then Greeks, then Romans, then North Africans, then Irish or Armenians or Persians, then pagan barbarians like the English and Germans, and now the Africans are going forth to evangelize the whole world again!

I’m sure I’m missing a lot of the story here. Truly, God has sent forth missionaries to all nations, and called forth missionaries from all nations. I just read a wonderful story about a Mongolian lady who teaches religion and school to people with special needs, and whom herself was born with neither hands nor feet.

I just want to add, Jesus was an Asian, not a European!

Why not?
A more to-the-point question would be “Was it God’s will that various colonizers mistreated natives?”

Actuallly Jesus was a Jew which would have been Semite. Which included All the Arab nations and Israel. Not to be confused with The Indian and Chinese as that is more what is defined as Asian.

That is a silly question.

:confused:

Do you mean that because of their persecution, God has rewarded them with a strong christian base in Africa today?

I dont know what you are driving at?

Indeed, it is a silly question.

I read the OP to imply that there was something negative about European colonization. There were some negativities, as I vaguely alluded to, but also some positives, as you said.

:slight_smile:

Okay, I just was trying to figure it out! Thank you for explaining.:slight_smile:

Perhaps to spread the Gospel?

God Bless

Not really. I just noted one day that the majority of the nations with power in the world were once hugely influenced by Europe and show genetic links to it (her?).

America
Canada
India
the Middle East
Hong Kong
Australia
Central and South America (former Spanish colonies)

European-ism (if that can be a word just for the sake of conveying my idea :smiley: ) is so widespread throughout the world. I just wanted to know why Divine Providence allowed for that.
Was it really to make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?

Dubai is doing okay.

:smiley: what a beautiful understatement.

This is something I thought of when making the list, but i just considered it extraneous data since it doesn’t add to or really detract from my point. :slight_smile:

Actually ALL people in ALL countries have genetic links to Africa.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.