Why was it okay for Jesus to get mad and throw the money changers out of the temple?

Why was it okay for him to get mad at people and physically throw them out, yet if I took the same action toward a sinner it would be a sin? Just wondering.

Thats because they were defiling the temple which represents the House of the Lord.The temple also represents the Human body/soul which is supposed to be the temple of the holy spirit.if somebody sins..his body/soul is defiled by satan and this makes God extremely ANGRY.

Who says that would be a sin for you?

A lot of Catholics nowadays act like it's a sin to be angry, a sin to fight in wars, a sin to tell someone that they're a sinner... instead of Roman Catholicism, it's a mix between Barney the Dinosaur and the bookstore's "self-help" section. I'm OK, you're OK, there's no sin, no problem, just love yourself and do whatever you want. As long as you're not "mean" to people. That's the unforgivable sin.

If you read the Bible (as you are referencing), or read the history of the Church, the false teaching that is today peddled as "Catholicism" will be totally unrecognizable. That's not a problem with the Church... that's just a problem with some people in the Church who are more married to the prevailing culture than they are to Jesus.

Christ built an authoritative Church, with authoritative men to 'bind and loose.' That authority was not given to the multitudes.

Mat 5:22 But I say to you, that whosoever is angry with his brother, shall be in danger of the judgment. And whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council. And whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

That teaching was taught to the multitudes. Read the entire chapter for proper context.

[quote="WildCatholic, post:1, topic:324713"]
Why was it okay for him to get mad at people and physically throw them out, yet if I took the same action toward a sinner it would be a sin? Just wondering.

[/quote]

Because Jesus is literally God, and has the authority to punish those who defile a legitimate place of worship.

As a poster below pointed out, this power (to "bind and loose") has been handed to his successors (the Church); however, we are also cautioned to obey civil authorities, unless we are asked to sin.

And, of course, we are still permitted - no, required - to admonish sinners, though in a charitable spirit. It's one of the Spiritual Works of Mercy.

[/quote]

Jesus was a man! A man's man! When he saw wrong he took action. He didn't assault anyone but He objected to the blasphemy they were committing by desecrating the Holy Temple. So He upset some tables and spilled some coins, the means of committing the blasphemies. These were the filth tools of sinful men. I wish we were all more like him. We see wrong's all the time but lack the courage and convictions to stand up. We don't want to interfere with someone else's "right" to do what they choose even if it's evil. We are wimps!

The outer courtyard of the temple was meant to be the place where the Gentiles could come and pray. But that had been taken away from them so that the temple leaders could make money by cheating the poor! Jesus got mad. Praise Jesus!

Personally, I'm not going to question if or why God can do something. He is God and He has given me so much! Simply put, He was angry that His Father's house was being disrespected, and He had every right to do something about it.

[quote="Francoist, post:3, topic:324713"]
Who says that would be a sin for you?

A lot of Catholics nowadays act like it's a sin to be angry, a sin to fight in wars, a sin to tell someone that they're a sinner... instead of Roman Catholicism, it's a mix between Barney the Dinosaur and the bookstore's "self-help" section. I'm OK, you're OK, there's no sin, no problem, just love yourself and do whatever you want. As long as you're not "mean" to people. That's the unforgivable sin.

If you read the Bible (as you are referencing), or read the history of the Church, the false teaching that is today peddled as "Catholicism" will be totally unrecognizable. That's not a problem with the Church... that's just a problem with some people in the Church who are more married to the prevailing culture than they are to Jesus.

[/quote]

This is perfect, particularly the bolded :thumbsup:

People heavily tend to forgot that while God is love and forgiveness God is also Justice. Jesus as God is justice and to me this passage represents Jesus exercising Justice. Jesus words express very clear that his father's temple had been turned into a cave of thieves and Jesus is simply making justice. Very important part of religion that seems to be missed.

[/quote]

and The reason why you can't do it is because Jesus is our Judge he will judge us after death and he can judge people in earth. You and me are forbidden to judge. Now we have a duty to make judgments or discerning good from evil and a duty to take right actions but we can't pass final condemnation on anyone. Only Jesus.

Heb 10:30 For we know him that hath said: Vengeance belongeth to me, and I will repay. And again: The Lord shall judge his people.

Righteous anger. They were insulting God's house. It's kind of like asking "Why did God make it rain for 40 days and 40 nights?" or "Why did God punish the people of Sodom and Gomorrah?".

[/quote]

Would it be sinful for you to throw people out of your house if you found them disrespecting it?

[quote="sennincatholic, post:2, topic:324713"]

Thats because they were defiling the temple which represents the House of the Lord.

[/quote]

Who says that would be a sin for you? A lot of Catholics nowadays act like it's a sin to be angry, a sin to fight in wars, a sin to tell someone that they're a sinner...

[/quote]

[quote="Polycarp1, post:6, topic:324713"]

Jesus was a man! A man's man! When he saw wrong he took action. He didn't assault anyone but He objected to the blasphemy they were committing by desecrating the Holy Temple.

[/quote]

Seriously?! :eek:

If Burger King took advantage of its elderly customers and charged them an extra 50%, would you vandalise every Burger King location in sight? Unless you live in the power vacuum that is Somalia (not sure if Burger King is there), I hope you would bring the issue to court instead of taking retribution in your own hands.

Even if the merchants had been exploiting their customers, thereby making the Temple a "den of thieves," Jesus technically had no right to enforce the law on the public's behalf.

It appears to me that the Temple scene is meant to present Jesus as the divine judge who protects the poor and punishes those who exploit them (Exodus 22:21-23). How else did Jesus single-handedly "drive them all out of the temple" armed with only an improvised whip? You would expect, considering this episode occurs during Passover (John 2:13), that he would have been easily outnumbered by some angry, angry people.

[quote="sennincatholic, post:2, topic:324713"]

Thats because they were defiling the temple which represents the House of the Lord.

[/quote]

Who says that would be a sin for you? A lot of Catholics nowadays act like it's a sin to be angry, a sin to fight in wars, a sin to tell someone that they're a sinner...

[/quote]

Jesus was a man! A man's man! When he saw wrong he took action. He didn't assault anyone but He objected to the blasphemy they were committing by desecrating the Holy Temple.

[/quote]

If Burger King took advantage of its elderly customers and charged them an extra 50%, would you vandalise every Burger King location in sight? Unless you live in the power vacuum that is Somalia (not sure if Burger King is there), I hope you would bring the issue to court instead of taking retribution in your own hands.

Even if the merchants had been exploiting their customers, thereby making the Temple a "den of thieves," Jesus technically had no right to enforce the law on the public's behalf as man. Today we would have arrested him.

It appears that the Temple scene is meant to present Jesus as the divine judge who punishes those who abuse the poor (Exodus 22:21-23). How else did Jesus single-handedly "drive them all out of the temple" armed with only an improvised whip? Considering this episode occurs during Passover (John 2:13) he would have been easily outnumbered by some angry, angry people.

[quote="Bezant, post:15, topic:324713"]

Even if the merchants had been exploiting their customers, thereby making the Temple a "den of thieves," Jesus technically had no right to enforce the law on the public's behalf as man.

It appears to me that the Temple scene is meant to present Jesus as the divine judge who punishes those who abuse the poor (Exodus 22:21-23). How else did Jesus single-handedly "drive them all out of the temple" armed with only an improvised whip? You would expect, considering this episode occurs during Passover (John 2:13), that he would have been easily outnumbered by some angry, angry people.

[/quote]

Of course not. I would put on a purple dinosaur costume and begin spreading the gospel of friendliness. Someone please cue up "On Eagle's Wings".

By the way, I take it from your post that you do not think the episode in question actually happened?

[quote="Francoist, post:16, topic:324713"]
Of course not. I would put on a purple dinosaur costume and begin spreading the gospel of friendliness. Someone please cue up "On Eagle's Wings".

By the way, I take it from your post that you do not think the episode in question actually happened?

[/quote]

You realize the condescension speaks for itself?

yet if I took the same action toward a sinner it would be a sin? Just wondering.

[/quote]

I honestly don't understand why you reason this way.Read inbetween the lines!
Love is the key.If..out of love you reprimind or correct somebody who is sinning..how can this be considered a sin?

Jesus was a man! A man's man!

[/quote]

We are wimps!

Ah, the Gospel according to Iron John. :D

While I fully agree that we err too far on the other side sometimes, trying to recast the Son of God and the Saviour of Humanity as "macho, macho Jesus" is borderline blasphemous. :p

[quote="Bezant, post:15, topic:324713"]

Even if the merchants had been exploiting their customers, thereby making the Temple a "den of thieves," Jesus technically had no right to enforce the law on the public's behalf as man. Today we would have arrested him.

[/quote]

Sorry, bad analogy.

1.) Burger King is not a house of worship. It's a franchised restaurant.

2) Jesus didn't vandalize the temple, he forced certain people who were disrespecting it out of there.

1. In your example, Burger King itself is overcharging their customers. Now if there were solicitors outside Burger King trying to take advantage of the customers heading into Burger King, that would be closer to what was happening to the temple when Jesus was there. And the manager of Burger King would have every right to tell those swindlers to get off of his property. And that would not be worthy of arrest as you say.

And Jesus was the "manager" if you will, of the temple. So he had every right and duty to do that.

But imagine if there were thirty salesmen sitting in front of the Eucharistic Chapel at your parish and yelling and screaming over each other trying to sell their products to people who were coming there to adore Our Lord, you mean to tell me you wouldn't get outraged and force them out?? They're disrespecting the creator of the universe!:eek:

Jesus showed us here that we sometimes need to take action when there's evil around us.

He also showed us how to suffer wrongs patiently through His passion and death. It's not one or the other, absolute pacifism or absolute action, but both, whatever the circumstance calls for.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.