Why was Jesus baptized?

I have been having an interesting discussion with a Protestant brother about regenerational baptism, and he asked me this question: Why was Jesus baptized? Any thoughts?

We are to imitate Christ in all things, and he shows us the importance of baptism by being baptized himself. Also, he makes holy the waters of baptism.

Christ fulfilled prophecy by being baptised. I’m afraid I don’t have the scripture handy that fortells this event, but perhaps one my more learned bretheren can lend their expertise.

[quote=StCsDavid]Christ fulfilled prophecy by being baptised. I’m afraid I don’t have the scripture handy that fortells this event, but perhaps one my more learned bretheren can lend their expertise.
[/quote]

Perhaps Ps 40:7-8?

The CCC says this about Jesus’s baptism:

**537 **Through Baptism the Christian is sacramentally assimilated to Jesus, who in his own baptism anticipates his death and resurrection. The Christian must enter into this mystery of humble self-abasement and repentance, go down into the water with Jesus in order to rise with him, be reborn of water and the Spirit so as to become the Father’s beloved son in the Son and “walk in newness of life”:

Let us be buried with Christ by Baptism to rise with him; let us go down with him to be raised with him; and let us rise with him to be glorified with him.

Everything that happened to Christ lets us know that, after the bath of water, the Holy Spirit swoops down upon us from high heaven and that, adopted by the Father’s voice, we become sons of God.

John the Baptist baptised people as a sign of repentance of their sins. When Christ asked him for baptism, John correctly stated that Christ did not NEED it because he was sinless. However Christ used His baptism as a prefiguring of His own Death and Resurrection, to reveal Who He was (“This is My beloved Son”) and to institute Christian baptism as the sacrament of our sharing in His Death and Resurrection.

It takes two to make a covenant. Like when two boys decide to be blood brothers–both of them have to cut themselves. So it is with baptism. Jesus invites us into a covenental and familial relationship with him, and baptism is the means. One in which he actively participates in.

Scott

John tried to prevent him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and yet you are coming to me?” Jesus said to him in reply, “Allow it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed him. (Mt. 3:14-15)
To fulfill all righteousness: in this gospel to fulfill usually refers to fulfillment of prophecy, and righteousness to moral conduct in conformity with God’s will. Here, however, as in Matthew 5:6; 6:33, righteousness seems to mean the saving activity of God. To fulfill all righteousness is to submit to the plan of God for the salvation of the human race. This involves Jesus’ identification with sinners; hence the propriety of his accepting John’s baptism.

NotWorthy

[quote=NotWorthy]John tried to prevent him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and yet you are coming to me?” Jesus said to him in reply, “Allow it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed him. (Mt. 3:14-15)
To fulfill all righteousness: in this gospel to fulfill usually refers to fulfillment of prophecy, and righteousness to moral conduct in conformity with God’s will. Here, however, as in Matthew 5:6; 6:33, righteousness seems to mean the saving activity of God. To fulfill all righteousness is to submit to the plan of God for the salvation of the human race. This involves Jesus’ identification with sinners; hence the propriety of his accepting John’s baptism.

NotWorthy
[/quote]

Very good. That does make more sense. I was sure there was an Old Testament reference to Christ’s baptism, but I haven’t found it. It wouldn’t be the first time I was confused. :slight_smile:

This also reinforces for us the story of our creation - being “born again” into Christ.

Many examples in the Bible:

Genesis (first lines say how all that existed was water and the Spirit of God, then man was created)

Birth of the chosen people (Moses leads the people through the water of Jordan, while the Spirit, reflected in tongues of fire, are over them as they go)

Jesus’ baptism

The Bible is telling us the same thing that Jesus did, unless you are born with water AND the Spirit, you are not of Him.

To show humility to His Father as we should show humility to God’s Will.

On several occasions Christ would do things to foreshadow the same things being done by others.

As described, He was baptized to foreshadow baptism of others.

He scourged sacrificial animals to foreshadow His Own scourging. John 2:13-15.

He ate cooked fish to foreshadow others eating the Eucharist, His Own “cooked” flesh. Luke 24:42-43.

[quote=Atreyu]Why was Jesus baptized?
[/quote]

Because he was human.

Jesus was baptised to fufill prophesy-
Isaiah 11:2 says
"The Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him,
The spirit of wisdom and understanding,
The spirit of counsel and strength,
The spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD."
-NASB

In Matthew 3:16-17
(16)After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him,
(17) and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
-NASB
:thumbsup:

The baptism of Jesus also corresponds to the anointing of the Davidic kings.

Read section II .

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.