Why was the Nicene Creed changed?

I have compared the old Nicene Creed (pre-Vatican II) with the new Nicene Creed (post Vatican II). The new version seems to have removed the acknowledgement of the Incarnation of Jesus Christ. Why would that have been done? It seems confusing.

Dear Logan,

From the Baronius 1962 Missal (English):

The Credo

i believe in one God, the Falther almighty,
Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things, visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God.
And born of the Father, before all ages.
God of God: Light of Light: true God of true God.
Begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father,
by whom all things were made.
Who, for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven.

here kneel down.

And Became Incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary: and was made man.
He was crucified also for us, suffered under
Pontius Pilate, and was buried.
And the third day He rose again according to the Scriptures.
And ascended into heaven,
and sitteth at the right hand of the Father.
And He shall come again with glory to judge
both the living and the dead, of whose kindom there shall be no end.

And in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of Life, Who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
Who, together with the Father and the Son, is adored and glorified: Who spoke by the prophets.
And in one, holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.
I confess one baptism for the remission of sins.
And I look for the resurrection of the dead.
And the life of the world to come. Amen.

From one of my Parish’s (I attend NO on Sundays I work, and TLM on Sundays I don’t) Missalette:

The Creed

We believe in One God,
The Father Almighty
Maker of Heaven and earth.
Of all that is seen and unseen.

We believe in One Lord, Jesus Christ
The Only Son of God.
Eternally begotten of the Father
God from God
Light from Light
True God from True God.
Begotten, not made,
One in being with the Father.
Through Him, all things were made.
For us men, and for our Salvation

here all bow**

He came down from Heaven.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, He was born
of the Virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died and was buried.
On the third day, he rose again
in fulfillment of the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand
of God the Father, the Almighty.
He will come again in glory, to judge the living and the dead
And His kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord
the Giver of Life
who proceeds from the Father and from the Son.
With the Father and Son He is worshipped and glorified.
He has spoken through the prophets.

We believe in one, holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.
We believe in one Baptism for the Forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Where is this acknowlegment of the Incarnation of the Word of God removed?

In my missallette it reads:

. . .
For us men, and for our Salvation
He came down from Heaven.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, He was born
of the Virgin Mary, and became man.
For our sake He [suffered] was crucified[/size] under Pontius Pilate,
. . .

Here in Oz we mention it twice. ‘He became incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and was made man’ :shrug:

yes you are quite right…fast typing, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!!!

You don’t see it? Compare closely.

Also in the Missal of Pope Paul VI, in the Christmas Vigil Mass, the after Communion prayer is also worded to seemingly downplay the incarnation.

It says something to the effect of Jesus life on earth began at his birth. That is incorrect. His life began at conception (The Incarnation), remember St. John the Baptist was sancified in his mothers womb. For further reference see:

64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Xu-tqA4C02YJ:www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_29061943_mystici-corporis-christi_en.html+MYSTICI+CORPORIS+CHRISTI+Incarnation&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us
[LEFT]
31. But if our Savior, by His death, became, in the full and complete sense of the word, the Head of the Church, it was likewise through His blood that the Church was enriched with the fullest communication of the Holy Spirit, through which, from the time when the Son of Man was lifted up and glorified on the Cross by His sufferings, she is divinely illumined. For then, as Augustine notes, [39] with the rending of the veil of the temple it happened that the dew of the Paraclete’s gifts, which heretofore had descended only on the fleece, that is on the people of Israel, fell copiously and abundantly (while the fleece remained dry and deserted) on the whole earth, that is on the Catholic Church, which is confined by no boundaries of race or territory. Just as at the first moment of the Incarnation the Son of the Eternal Father adorned with the fullness of the Holy Spirit the human nature which was substantially united to Him, that it might be a fitting instrument of the Divinity in the sanguinary work of the Redemption, so at the hour of His precious death He willed that His Church should be enriched with the abundant gifts of the Paraclete in order that in dispensing the divine fruits of the Redemption she might be, for the Incarnate Word, a powerful instrument that would never fail. For both the juridical mission of the Church, and the power to teach, govern and administer the Sacraments, derive their supernatural efficacy and force for the building up of the Body of Christ from the fact that Jesus Christ, hanging on the Cross, opened up to His Church the fountain of those divine gifts, which prevent her from ever teaching false doctrine and enable her to rule them for the salvation of their souls through divinely enlightened pastors and to bestow on them an abundance of heavenly graces.[/LEFT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.