Why wasn't Mary given to Peter?

In another thread, a poster said this: “Mary was made mother of the Church when Jesus gave her to John to care for.” Which I understand. . . however, why wasn’t Mary given to Peter, if Peter was going to the Rock upon which the Church was built/founded?

I believe Peter was still suffering and hiding from having thrice denied the Lord at the time.

There’s three (3) logical reasons that I can think of:

1. St Peter didn’t hang around for the Crucifixion, but St John did, so Jesus’ only choice was that John be given to Mary and vice versa;

2. Jesus knew that St Peter was going to be busy traveling to and from Jerusalem, Antioch, and eventually Rome, where he would be martyred;

3. St Peter represents the head hierarch of the Church, whereas St John represents the laity and priests themselves, and Mary is Our Mother - the Mother of the Church, if you will.

Yes, it was only John of all the Apostles who stood with Mary at the foot of the Cross. And he was the ‘beloved’ too. Our Lady, not having other children, was given to this stalwart innocent soul. And with St. John being a priest, he would soon be offering the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass so that Our Lady would be receiving her Son in this manner. Our Lady would be as a mother to the infant Church.

Ave Maria!

All good answers, IMHO.

Well, Jesus could have waited, and given Mary to him later after he was restored…

I think it was because John was the only one who stuck it out at the cross, and John already had a special relationship with Mary, and John was going to live the longest of the Apostles.

then why didn’t Jesus build his church upon John instead of Peter?

S

I would beg to differ with the notion that Mary became Mother of the Church when Jesus gave Her to John.

Mary is Mother of the Church because She is the Mother of Jesus and the Church is His Body. There are many other ways to articulate this, but the bottom line is that Jesus giving Mary to John is not truly the reason She is MOther of the Church.

I think the question of why John is best explored by asking “what are we to learn from His perfect decision to do so.” One answer is that John, “the beloved disciple” became Her son (“Woman behold your son”) to indicate that all who call themselves disciples of Christ can also now consider themselves sons of Mary.

Thinking maybe Peter was going to be WAY to busy organizing the faithful and being the Earthly head of the Church to also care for our Blessed Mother and keep her safe.

What does one thing have to do with the other? One (Peter) involves a primacy of authority while the other (John the Beloved Disciple) can be see as having a primacy of love.

Why does everything have to be either/or, all or nothing with some people?:confused:

twosweetgirls;2495843]In another thread, a poster said this: “Mary was made mother of the Church when Jesus gave her to John to care for.” Which I understand. . . however, why wasn’t Mary given to Peter, if Peter was going to the Rock upon which the Church was built/founded

“When Jesus saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing near, He said to His mother, ‘Woman, behold your son’! Then He said to the disciple, ‘Behold, your mother!’ And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.” John.19:26, 27
The disciple whom Jesus loved is John but it also represents each of us as members of His Church and each of us are to take her into our home. On another level the “Woman” represents the Church. Ps. 137; 5,6, Isaiah 66:6-13, Mat.5:14 Lu.7;15 Heb.12:22-24, Rev.21:9-10 You should also read John 19 26,27 in light of the story of the “Widow of Nain”.Lu.7:11-15 Jesus raises from the dead, a man who was the only son of his widowed mother, at the city gates and gives him to his mother. That dead man represents us, the disciples whom Jesus loves, before our baptism. The widowed mother represents Mary and the Church, who are our Mothers. When Jesus gave His mother to His beloved disciple He was also giving her to Peter.

First of all, Mary wasn’t made the Mother of the Church by some kind of popular vote. The Church simply recognizes and venerates her as the mother of Our Lord. The mother of the king is typically the queen, which is why she has the title of Queen of Heaven.

Second, Peter had run away after denying Christ three times in His hour of need. Would you give your mother to someone like that? John stepped up.

Note also that Peter had not only the Church, but a wife to take care of (and probably a mother-in-law as well). I’d say his plate was pretty full.

Jeremy

Well, its true that John was the only one of the apostles who was there, but I am inclined to think that Jesus, knowing all things, was aware of the fact that all the other apostles were going to be martyred. John, on the other hand, lived to a ripe old age…So, logically, he would be the one who outlived Mary, thus giving her a home for the entire rest of her life.

Zooey: Well, its true that John was the only one of the apostles who was there, but I am inclined to think that Jesus, knowing all things, was aware of the fact that all the other apostles were going to be martyred. John, on the other hand, lived to a ripe old age…So, logically, he would be the one who outlived Mary, thus giving her a home for the entire rest of her life.

[quote]

I just had one of those “Wow, I never thought of that!” moments!

Thank you Zooey.

[/quote]

Mary is thought to have died at the age of 72, which would place her death around 55-56AD?

Peter is the first to see Jesus for who he is, the Christ. As Christ said this was revealed to him by the Father, not by flesh and blood.

One must also remember that God’s glory is more clearly seen when revealed through the weak, the ignorant and in this case even when it involves someone who will deny Christ publicly. Peter fit this mold.

Peter is the candidate and is chosen by God to fulfill this purpose.

Different gifts for different people.

But all the apostles outlived Mary. The story of the Dormition of Mary shows all of the apostles coming to her deathbed (except Thomas, who showed up later).

You guys rock! Thanks so much for the explanations. Oh, and Fidelis, in no way was I being “all or nothing”; I was simply asking for more information on the faith I love.

Understood. Thanks for the charitible clarification.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.