Why wasnt Mary the object of personal attacks by Pharisees?

The pharisees tried very hard to disqualify Jesus as the Messiah and such by saying he sat with sinners; his appostles did not observe the Sabath; he ate with defiled hands; his sisters are with us, and the list goes on. But consider why they never attacked her personally. There was no dirt to dig up, persay. Could it be they had nothing to blame her for! I believe this carries heavy wieght in the Catholic arguement!

Thoughts,

In Christ!

1. We don’t know that they didn’t.

2. Perhaps, as a woman, she was considered essentially irrelevant.

3. She was not a “public figure.”

In any case, it is a matter for speculation only.

JSA

Is it possible that the Pharisees remembered that Mary had lived much of her early life in the temple?

That her father had served in the temple as a priest?

That her mother Anne had consecrated her to the Lord at an early age?

That she herself had made a vow of perpetual virginity?

That she had married Joseph not as a normal husband and wife marry but as a protection for her vow of virginity?

That she herself was known to have lived a holy life made possible by the fact that she was conceived without sin?

Hard to say…:wink:

Is it possible that the Pharisees remembered that Mary had lived much of her early life in the temple?

That her father had served in the temple as a priest?

That her mother Anne had consecrated her to the Lord at an early age?

That she herself had made a vow of perpetual virginity?

That she had married Joseph not as a normal husband and wife marry but as a protection for her vow of virginity?

That she herself was known to have lived a holy life made possible by the fact that she was conceived without sin?

How much esteem would she have had to hold in the public eye to have all of this, plus have given birth to a boy who was concieved out of wedlock, and STILL not have been shunned, or ridiculed (that we know of).

I think in Nazareth when his critics were saying ‘is this not the carpenter’s son’ they were kinda dissing Mary as well.

In Jerusalem she probably wasn’t so well known, nor the story of his birth and early life, so maybe they didn’t have anything to bring up against her.

I suspect it would have been beneath their dignity to notice her.

Why would they attack her in the first place?

During Jesus’ walk on this earth, was it ever disclosed to the public that Jesus was born of a virgin before his crucfixion?

Wait a mintue, there was a claim made about her in late Jewish sources,

It is claimed in the Talmud, that Mary concieved Jesus with a Roman Soldier thus there is an attack on her virginity and on her character as a faithful Jewish woman.

google.com/search?hl=en&q=Mary+conceived+roman+soldier+talmud+Joseph+Pandera&btnG=Search

There is no known attacks during her lifetime on her character or on her virginity that we know of.

I am not sure about that?

According to Jewish custom, marriage took place in two stages: first, the legal, or true marriage was celebrated, and then, only after a certain period of time, the husband brought the wife into his own house. Thus, before he lived with Mary, Joseph was already her “husband.”

Becoming a Mother by the power of the Holy Spirit was the form taken by her gift of self: a form which God himself expected of the Virgin Mary, who was “betrothed” to Joseph. Mary uttered her fiat. The fact that Mary was “betrothed” to Joseph was part of the very plan of God.

Addressing Joseph through the words of the angel, God speaks to him as the husband of the Virgin of Nazareth. What took place in her through the power of the Holy Spirit also confirmed in a special way the marriage bond which already existed between Joseph and Mary. God’s messenger was clear in what he said to Joseph: “Do not fear to take Mary your wife into your home.” Hence, what had taken place earlier, namely, Joseph’s marriage to Mary, happened in accord with God’s will and was meant to endure. In her divine motherhood Mary had to continue to live as “a virgin, the wife of her husband” (cf. Lk 1:27).

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_jp-ii_exh_15081989_redemptoris-custos_en.html

Actually there is a kind of back handed attack on the Blessed Virgin from the Pharisees, its in John 839 They answered, and said to him: Abraham is our father. Jesus saith to them: If you be the children of Abraham, do the works of Abraham. 40 But now you seek to kill me, a man who have spoken the truth to you, which I have heard of God. This Abraham did not. 41 You do the works of your father. They said therefore to him: We are not born of fornication: we have one Father, even God. 42 Jesus therefore said to them: If God were your Father, you would indeed love me. For from God I proceeded, and came; for I came not of myself, but he sent me
From what I have been told, right here they were saying Jesus was born as result of “fornication.” Im not sure if this is the correct understanding of this passage but it sounds possible to me.

L I B Darn!

This would lend evidence to the issue that mathew’s account of Jesus denying Divorce based on fornication.

Thats right. And that was the issue at hand where I heard someone mention that Jn8 passage. I didnt want to derail this thread going into that issue though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.