Why we Catholics love Mary

I love Mary for the following reasons:

1. She brought for the Messiah, Jesus Christ the Word made flesh and during the first 9 months of Our Blessed Lord here on earth, Mary became a type of Ark for she carried the Word of God.

2. She is a model for all Christians through her obedience to God’s Holy Will.

Her words are inspiring:

Luke 1:38 “And Mary said: Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done to me according to thy word.”

She pure because Gabriel greeted her with these words, “Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.”

This is a unique title given to Mary, and suggests a perfection of grace from a past event. Mary is not just “highly favored.” She has been perfected in grace by God. “Full of grace” is only used to describe one other person, Jesus.

and her cousin Elizabeth also agreed.

Luke 1:41-43

41 And it came to pass, that when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the infant leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost: 42 And she cried out with a loud voice, and said: Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. 43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

The phrase “blessed are you among women” really means “you are most blessed of all women.” A circumlocution is used because there is no superlative in the Greek language. Note also that Elizabeth praises Mary first, and then Jesus. This is hyperdulia (but not latria which is worship owed to God alone). We too can go through Mary to praise Jesus. Finally, Catholics repeat these divinely inspired words of Elizabeth in the Rosary.

Rev. 12:17 - this verse proves the meaning of John 19:26. The “woman’s” (Mary’s) offspring are those who follow Jesus. She is our Mother and we are her offspring in Jesus Christ. The master plan of God’s covenant love for us is family. But we cannot be a complete family with the Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of Christ without the Motherhood of Mary.

Mary was also obedient to her son during the wedding at Cana. John 2:5

His mother saith to the waiters: “Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.”

Mary was there at the foot at the cross when Jesus Christ, and on the cross Jesus gave Mary, his mother to John, whom represented us so too that Mary will be our spiritual mother. She is the woman in Revelation 12:1 the woman clothed with the sun. The Queen mother of the New Jerusalem, and Her son, Jesus the King of the New Covenant.

1 Kings 2:18 - in the Old Testament Davidic kingdom, the Queen intercedes on behalf of the King’s followers. She is the Queen Mother (or “Gebirah”). Mary is our eternal Gebirah.

Rev 12:1 - the “woman” that John is describing is Mary, the Ark of the New Covenant, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. Just as the moon reflects the light of the sun, so Mary, with the moon under her feet, reflects the glory of the Sun of Justice, Jesus Christ.

I love her as my spiritual mother. I do not bring her above God because God is to loved first. I do honor because Fr. Corapi said this, “If she is good enough for Jesus, she is good enough for me.”

Yes, she is good in enough for me. A model of the first woman who accepted the Word of God, the Eternal Word, Jesus. Without her consent, Jesus would not be Word Made flesh. He could have chosen any other young Jewish girl, but God, the Father see fitting that Mary is the Mother of His Only Begotten Son, Jesus. She the Theotokos, Mother of God, Jesus, Second Person of the Trinity.

If you have a problem with my relationship with Mary, the Mother of Jesus, My Lord. You have a problem with Jesus. Because are we not call to imitate Christ? So my friends before you blast me and others with your Anti-Catholic Marian bias you better take a closer look at why we love her. We love her Because of Jesus. I keep my eyes on the Master.

because Jesus gave Mary to me, through John, as my mother when he hung dying on the cross. Woman behold your son. Behold your mother.

I love her because she brought Jesus to us, through her words ‘be it done unto me’, and brings us to him with her words ‘do whatever he tells you’ :love: :heart:

I love Her more when I came to realize two important facts:

1- my girlfriend had known her before she even knew Jesus. One day, she picked up a pamphlet at her school and learned how to pray the Rosary. Years later, she got baptized.

2- In the past, I had try to pray 10 Hail Mary’s per night. That was what my mom asked me to do. Of course, I prayed to God. After about 1 year, one night I decided to pray the Rosary. For the first time, I put my mind and heart to it. With God’s grace, it was the night, I had “the” conversion of my life. Something happened supernaturally that night.

It is Her that we both get to know Jesus more and more each day.

PS: uh, but is this topic in the right forum? :slight_smile:

We Protestants love Mary too, Manny.

Why would Your Friendly Neighborhood Methodist become a rosary maker, if she didn’t love her mother, Mary, so much???:slight_smile:

I actually mentioned you to friends today while driving to a Nursing Home to pray the rosary with some elders there - I talked about how much you enjoyed making the rosaries knowing that others love to pray the rosary and how active you are in the Praying Request forum. :slight_smile:

I have no doubt Protestants love Mary. A lot of the love we Catholics have for Mary has be distorted by some Protestants who think we put her the same level as God which we do not.

You can agree that our love for Mary is because of Jesus. Pure and simple. :smiley:

:yup: :yup:

Hail holy queen, mother of mercy. Hail our life our spirt our hope. To you do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To you do we send up our sighs mourning and weeping in this veil of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thy eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile show us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Oh clement oh loving oh sweet Virgin Mary. Amen.

I think I said it right. I’m trying to memorize it so I don’t have to read after I finish saying my rosary.

Because she submitted herself, wholly and unconditionally, to the will of God. Because she was worthy of becoming the Mother of Christ. Because she gave birth to Him, educated Him, and saw Him die. Because She led me to Christ.

Because St Stephen, the first king of Hungary, offered her the crown of the country which she accepted, taking Hungary into her protection.

Regina Hungariae, Ora Pro Nobis.

I love her because she was the first Christian and because she made it possible for me to be saved by Jesus Christ by saying yes to God the Father and the Holy Spirit.

I love her because she is the mother of God.

I love Mary because she intercedes for me when I ask her to pray for me.

I love Mary because we all need to be more like her – humble, obedient and trustworthy.

I love her because she is my mother.

Hi
Except for a few changes I have made in the above quote; there is no harm in respecting Mary, mother of Jesus one of ProphetsMessengers of GodAllahYHWH, one of PerfectMen and ChosenOnes of GodAllahYHWH. GodAllahYHWH did not choose Ladies as his ProphetsMessengers but He chose them as their mother, that is very fine indeed.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

It is primarily that Mary is Mother of God that she has a dignity higher than any woman and is so highly favoured. I understand though why the guest from the Ahmadi denomination should have a problem considering the Islamic doctrine. Personally speaking though I find devotion to the Blessed Virgin has provided me and my family with many blessings and most of all peace.
Prayerfully

I love her dearly as a son would his own mother. Mary, received you son.

I love Mary because she is beautiful inside and outside. :heart: :heart: :hug3:

Hi
I also love Mary being a pious lady with whom GodAllahYHWH had conversatoion and angels talked to her, she was a mother of a ProphetMessenger, ChosenOne and one of a PerfectMen called JesusYeshuaIssa. Mary was never a wife unto GodAllahYHWH, she could never be as such as that brings blemish to GodAllahYHWH, Who is exalted from the creatures. Those who hold such belief by mistakes should correct them.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

Troll :rolleyes:

Of course she wasn’t a wife of God. She is often term as “Spouse of the Holy Spirit” but those are to understood as symbolic terminology not to be take literal…

I love Mary because it’s a blessing to be reminded that earthly families may mess up, but my Heavenly Mother holds me in all my joys and sorrows. I will always be her child, and she will always want to love me and protect me from pain, and if she can’t protect me, at least I know she cries with me. Can’t get much better than that!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.