Why weekly mass?

Good evening everyone,

I’m not here to stir up any trouble…that’s not what I’m about. Just trying to learn a bit more of my religion.

Where did it come from originally that Catholics must attend mass at least once a week? Why isn’t daily mass required?

I know what the catechism says, but…where did that requirement find its origin? Is that a man made rule guided by the Holy Sprit in origins or was it handed down from Christ directly?

Hope that makes sense.

Merry Christmas everyone!

David

In the Book of Acts, the Apostles, and disciples gather in the first day of the week in the breaking of the Bread. It is also stated in the Didache.

Daily Mass is shorter than Weekly Mass. Daily Mass benefits to strengthen the faith. Most Catholics go to Daily Mass who want to received the Lord daily.

I know what the catechism says, but…where did that requirement find its origin? Is that a man made rule guided by the Holy Spirit in origins or was it handed down from Christ directly?

Hope that makes sense.Merry Christmas everyone!

David

Weekly Mass is one of the 7 Precepts of the Church.

Gather the first day of the week. Got it…but why weekly? Why not monthly, bi-weekly or even daily?

Thanks Manny. I began to attend daily mass during Advent in an attempt to get closer to Jesus. It’s working, but I’m also finding that it is generating MANY questions about our faith that I just wonder about.

Thanks for your input!

Incidentally (and please forgive my ignorance here…I feel like in some ways I’m starting from scratch…)

But, the 7 Precepts of the Church…I have read them, but are those all things/requirements that came out of various councils/popes, etc… and later organized or are the origins of those from one specific council meeeting?

That’s it for now. (Until the next burning question comes up in about 5 mins or so:D)

God commanded a weekly day of rest and keeping of the Sabbath. This encompasses more than just church attendance-- it includes resting from servile work and spending time with family and in prayer.

Christ’s death and resurrection transfer this command from Saturday to Sunday. The command remains, we keep holy the Lord’s Day.

Weekly because there is a first day of the week, every week. The letters of Paul tell us to never stop gathering together, and the early church did it every week.

Certainly anyone who can get to a daily Mass (or more often than just once a week) is encouraged to, but the example of scripture is weekly.

The 7 Precepts are very, very basica and have been around from the beginning. They all have scriptural underpinnings. I don’t know exactly when they were written in their current form though.

Wonderful that you have been getting to daily Mass! Keep it up! And if you don’t have a good Bible and a copy of the CCC, ask for them for Christmas, or buy them for yourself!

Didache 14,1.
On the Lord’s Day of the Lord gather together, break bread and give thanks, after confessing your transgressions so that your sacrifice may be pure. Let no one who has a quarrel with his neighbor join you until he is reconciled, lest your sacrifice be defiled. For this is that which was proclaimed by the Lord: “In every place and time let there be offered to Me a clean sacrifice. For I am a Great King,” says the Lord, “and My name is wonderful among the gentiles.”

The Didache was written before 140 A.D., – the writer (who is unknown) is likely a contemporary of the Apostles.

**Justin Martyr First Apology 67. **( - written about 150 A.D.)
On the day which is dedicated to the sun, all those who live in the cities or who dwell in the countryside gather in a common meeting, and for as long as there is time the Memoirs of the Apostles (NT canon was only set in 395 A.D.) or the writings of the prophets are read. Then, when the reader has finished, the president verbally gives a warning and appeal for the imitation of these good examples. Then we all rise together and offer prayers, and, as we said before, when our prayer is ended, bread is brought forward along with wine and water, and the president likewise gives thanks to the best of his ability and the people call out their assent, saying the Amen. Then there is distribution to each and the participation in the Eucharistic elements, which also are sent with the deacons to those who are absent. Those who are wealthy and wish to do so, contribute whatever they themselves care to give; and the collection is placed with the president . . .

For 2,000 years the mass has hardly changed. We just probably have the collection earlier in the Mass rather than at the end.

It’s of course rooted in the Ten Commandments, one day of Rest out of Seven. For the Jews it was the Sabbath or Seventh day of the week. For the Christians it became the Lord’s Day or the “Eighth Day”, each Sunday looked at as a “Little Easter”. The Apostles did meet daily for prayer and Christians are also encouraged to do the same, including daily Mass when possible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.