Why were the original Apostles not baptized?

This is a common objection to the dogma that baptism is necessary for forgiveness. Also, the New Testament has other examples of people whose sins were forgiven without baptism, or who received the Holy Spirit without baptism. Doesn’t this support the view that baptism is a symbolic act?

Where do you get the idea the apostles were not baptized?

[quote=Kristina P.]This is a common objection to the dogma that baptism is necessary for forgiveness. Also, the New Testament has other examples of people whose sins were forgiven without baptism, or who received the Holy Spirit without baptism. Doesn’t this support the view that baptism is a symbolic act?
[/quote]

No.

God is not bound by the sacraments. He can do whatever he wants. But he commands us to be baptized. As faithful people, we must do so. Now, the New Testament may say nothing about the original Apostles’ baptisms, but that can surely be implied from the text. It also says nothing about many of their deaths. Does that mean that they are still alive now?

The Holy Spirit almost always comes before baptism. The Holy Spirit moves a person to be baptized. The Holy Spirit also comes in Confirmation.

These are not mere symbollic acts. They bring about effects in the soul.

[quote=sweetchuck]The Holy Spirit almost always comes before baptism. The Holy Spirit moves a person to be baptized.
[/quote]

Or moves their parents to Baptize them.

Wait…Hold it…just a second here!

Though there is no explicit statement that the apostles were water baptized, the idea is certainly implicit in the Gospels.
Consider the following passages:

Matthew 3:16 And Jesus being baptized, forthwith came out of the water: and lo, the heavens were opened to him: and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him.

Luke 3:21 Now it came to pass, when all the people were baptized, that Jesus also being baptized and praying, heaven was opened;

Mark 1: 9 And it came to pass, in those days, Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized by John in the Jordan.

Matthew 3:13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to the Jordan, unto John, to be baptized by him.

John 3:22 After these things Jesus and his disciples came into the land of Judea: and there he abode with them, and baptized.

Now does it seem likely that if Our Lord was baptizing people that his own chosen twelve would’ve neglected this sacrament?!

I note with some surprise that this last and most telling passage is in the 3rd chapter of John. All the more reason to read all things in context and not stop at that 16th verse as so many seem to want to do.

As for a symbolism…that also fails to align with the Word of God:

Mark 1:4 John was in the desert baptizing, and preaching the baptism of penance, unto remission of sins.

Luke 3:3 And he came into all the country about the Jordan, preaching the baptism of penance for the remission of sins;

1st Peter 3:21 Whereunto baptism being of the like form, now saveth you also: not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the examination of a good conscience towards God by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Acts Of Apostles 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? Rise up, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, invoking his name.
Pax tecum,

The Holy Spirit almost always comes before baptism. The Holy Spirit moves a person to be baptized. The Holy Spirit also comes in Confirmation.

While I agree that just beacuse the bible makes no mention of the apostles baptisim, that it DOES NOT mean that they were not baptized. I have to say that it is Catholic teaching that we recieve the Holy Spirit when we are baptized. But I do agree that the holy spirit can move in an unbaptized believer. There are many examples of that in the Bible.

[quote=cristian84]While I agree that just beacuse the bible makes no mention of the apostles baptisim, that it DOES NOT mean that they were not baptized. I have to say that it is Catholic teaching that we recieve the Holy Spirit when we are baptized. But I do agree that the holy spirit can move in an unbaptized believer. There are many examples of that in the Bible.
[/quote]

Correct! The NT speaks of the movement of the Holy Spirit in the hearts of those yet to be baptised. Consider the story of Cornelius and his household…in Acts Of Apostles 10.

Thank you for the help. I think I just forgot about the passage that talks about Jesus Himself baptizing. In investigating the Catholic Church, my main strategy has been to go find some objection to the Church’s teaching and either refute it myself or bring it here to see how you all handle it. So far, it’s been very profitable for me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.