Why were there no miracles in the LDS Church?

If the LDS Church is the true church as Mormons claim, then why are there miracles such as marian apparations, bleeding statues, ect. happeneing in the Catholic Church? Yet there are no miracles happening in the LDS Church of course. Are there any miracles happeneing or stories of miraculous prayers being answerd in the LDS Church? I never heard any.

[quote=Chazemataz]If the LDS Church is the true church as Mormons claim, then why are there miracles such as marian apparations, bleeding statues, ect. happeneing in the Catholic Church? Yet there are no miracles happening in the LDS Church of course. Are there any miracles happeneing or stories of miraculous prayers being answerd in the LDS Church? I never heard any.
[/quote]

From what I understand they consider Joseph Smith and his revelations, the Tablets, and so forth to be at least what we would consider to be miracles, but I could be wrong. It sounds rather miraculous to me.
Also, not all bleeding statues and apparitions in the RCC are considered miracles. Many are considered simply hoaxes. Most miracle claims made by Catholics are never approved by the Vatican.

I never heard of these types of miracles occurring in any Protestant church. However, it is true that miracles of healing do occur in Protestant churches of a charismatic or pentecostal bent.

I’m LDS and have witnessed many miracles over the years. The culture is generally to consider such occurrences sacred and not broadcast them to the world where they will be belittled and mocked, but some are less restrained.

[quote=Casen]I’m LDS and have witnessed many miracles over the years. The culture is generally to consider such occurrences sacred and not broadcast them to the world where they will be belittled and mocked, but some are less restrained.
[/quote]

Like what?

[quote=iwonder]From what I understand they consider Joseph Smith and his revelations, the Tablets, and so forth to be at least what we would consider to be miracles, but I could be wrong. It sounds rather miraculous to me.
Also, not all bleeding statues and apparitions in the RCC are considered miracles. Many are considered simply hoaxes. Most miracle claims made by Catholics are never approved by the Vatican.
[/quote]

I don’t seee how these:

visionsofjesuschrist.com/weeping110.htm

I got to go bye

When I was growing up in the LDS church, we were told of some “miracles” (though they don’t seem very miraculous upon thinking about them later on.) only one remains vivid in my memory; I heard it when I was about 8:

The temple in St. George temple was due for repainting. The temple curator decided that he’d like to see the big dome cap at the top painted gold instead of its traditional silver. So he has the painters paint is gold. The next day, the paint is all gone and the dome is silver again! So they paint it and again, the next day all the paint just peeled off and fell to the ground. They repeat this one more time and don’t understand what’s going on. The curator contacts his higher-up and is told that the plans for this temple were handed directly down from God himself and that God wanted the dome top of the temple to be silver. From then on they never painted it gold again.

Not very impressive, huh?

There are many miracles, but as Casen says we consider them sacred and do not broadcast them for ridicule by the world. I myself have experienced many personal miracles and answers to prayer, but if I enumerated them here you would only laugh.
I will tell you one, and I have told it before. You probably would not consider it a miracle as there was no blood dripping, or Mary sighting.
I was driving back from Idaho, alone with 5 children many years ago and came to a railroad crossing in the Nevada desert. I stopped at the crossing and there was a train coming, there was plenty of time to cross safely, but I thought it would be nice for the children to be able to watch the train pass. We sat for a moment watching the approaching train, when I suddenly heard a voice in my mind, saying"Do not wait, go now" I hesitated and heard it again more urgent. So, I told the children we had to go and to watch the train from the rear window. As we watched the train, the next car came speeding over the hill and came to a screeching stop skidding sideways against the track just as the train got to the crossing. If I had not listened to the voice, we would have been pushed in front of the train. My children as young as they were, understood that we had been saved by the still small voice of the Holy Spirit, the messenger of God. I consider it a miracle in my life that I was saved by listening to the spirit.
I have had many such experiences, some more amazing than others, but all miracles to me and to my family who I share them with.
I am sure you all have had the same experiences and perhaps you don’t consider them miracles.

As far as the LDS Church, the miracle of the Seagulls is perhaps the most well-known. There are so many healing miracles you could not possibly enumerate them all. All are personal and perhaps have not been shared except within the Church and families to whom they mean the most.
Catholics and other religions would not believe our miracles, as they are not what Catholics or others would consider miracles. So, they would laugh to hear the stories of personal miracles.
I hope you are not laughing at the one I shared with you, as I have never told it except to my own children, grandchildren and husband, and now you. :slight_smile: BJ

weren’t there a couple of miracles related to the founding of Salt Lake City, one involving seagulls and another involving honey bees? any Mormons out there up to date on these stories?

[quote=puzzleannie]weren’t there a couple of miracles related to the founding of Salt Lake City, one involving seagulls and another involving honey bees? any Mormons out there up to date on these stories?
[/quote]

Just from memory, the crops were being eaten by locusts or crickets.  Seagulls did not exist so far away from the ocean in Utah at that time, but when the Mormons prayed to God to save the crops, the Seagulls appeared and ate their fill of  the locusts and spit them out in the Great Salt Lake and came and filled up on them again and again until they were gone and the crops were saved.  There is a statue dedicated to the Seagulls in Temple Square in Salt Lake City.  I was just there last week and heard the story related by a lady missionary from Tanzania. She was very charming in telling the story to the tourists and she pushed my husband's wheelchair up the hill for me to the conference center where we listened to a organ recital.    
I have never heard the one about honey bees, although Utah is called the beehive state.  I always thought it was just because bees are very industrious workers and so are LDS people.

If someone knows about honey bees you may jog my memory, but I can’t remember any miracles about them.
:slight_smile: BJ

[quote=BJ Colbert]Just from memory, the crops were being eaten by locusts or crickets. Seagulls did not exist so far away from the ocean in Utah at that time, but when the Mormons prayed to God to save the crops, the Seagulls appeared and ate their fill of the locusts and spit them out in the Great Salt Lake and came and filled up on them again and again until they were gone and the crops were saved. There is a statue dedicated to the Seagulls in Temple Square in Salt Lake City. I was just there last week and heard the story related by a lady missionary from Tanzania. She was very charming in telling the story to the tourists and she pushed my husband’s wheelchair up the hill for me to the conference center where we listened to a organ recital.
I have never heard the one about honey bees, although Utah is called the beehive state. I always thought it was just because bees are very industrious workers and so are LDS people.
If someone knows about honey bees you may jog my memory, but I can’t remember any miracles about them.
:slight_smile: BJ
[/quote]

Statue dedicated to the Seagulls? Better be careful B.J. Sounds very catholic to me.

[quote=Chazemataz]I don’t seee how these:

visionsofjesuschrist.com/weeping110.htm

I got to go bye
[/quote]

Erm, why was my post edited by one of the moderators and says: " MEDJUGORJE IMAGE REMOVED
" ? I don’t even know what a “Medjugorje image” is.

There have been reports throughout the years of various and sundry miracles in the LDS Church–mass visions, healings, speaking in un-learned languages, help in times of need, even unsubstantiated reports of resurrections from the dead. A lot of these reports fall under the rubric or ‘urban legends’, and the LDS Church does not document, investigate and substantiate claims of miracles as the Roman Catholic Church does, so it is always difficult to know whether or not to credit the claims of miracles.

The most famous miracle seems to have been the Miracle of the Seagulls, although ornithologists now tell us that the phenomenom is a natural occurence. The story, in case anyone is unacquainted with it, is that after a harsh ‘starving time’ the winter previously, the Latter-Day Saints were successful in irrigating, planting and cultivating their first crops in the Salt Lake Valley. Just prior to harvest time, a plague of locusts descended on the Valley and were laying waste to the Saints’ efforts. Brigham Young called upon the people to pray to God for a miracle and as these prayers were being completed, seagulls descended upon the land and began devouring the locusts.

As I say–this is now known to be a natural cycle–perodically, a troop of locusts descends upon an area, followed shortly thereafter by the seagulls which eat the locusts. Of course this was not something which was known to happen in the 1840’s and so it certainly seemed miraculous. Moreover–the seagulls arrived in a timely manner–just after they prayers of the Saints had ascended and in time to prevent too severe a havoc to be wreaked upon the Saint’s crops.

[quote=Chazemataz]Erm, why was my post edited by one of the moderators and says: " MEDJUGORJE IMAGE REMOVED
" ? I don’t even know what a “Medjugorje image” is.
[/quote]

I looked at your web site and the medjugorje was there, I showed it to my husband, so they must have remove it later. It was an image on film taken by a tourist in Turkey, in a Catholic mass. The image looked like a white ghost on the film and they claimed it was Mary, but only the tourist saw it, so maybe it was not official, so they removed it. So my understanding is that Catholics do not generally have personal miracles but only visions of Mary in various places doing nothing in particular miraculous. Just standing around looking like Mary, but never in detail. Kind of like looking at shapes in clouds. I think I could see Mary if I tried real hard. I read a book about a Mexican lady who saw Mary in the dirt of her oven door, and that was considered a great miracle, the whole book was about the vision on the dirty oven door. I do not mean to make light of what is very serious to you. But, do you realize that sounds even more absurd than Joseph Smith finding the Golden Plates? Sorry, BJ

[quote=BJ Colbert]I looked at your web site and the medjugorje was there, I showed it to my husband, so they must have remove it later. It was an image on film taken by a tourist in Turkey, in a Catholic mass. The image looked like a white ghost on the film and they claimed it was Mary, but only the tourist saw it, so maybe it was not official, so they removed it. So my understanding is that Catholics do not generally have personal miracles but only visions of Mary in various places doing nothing in particular miraculous. Just standing around looking like Mary, but never in detail. Kind of like looking at shapes in clouds. I think I could see Mary if I tried real hard. I read a book about a Mexican lady who saw Mary in the dirt of her oven door, and that was considered a great miracle, the whole book was about the vision on the dirty oven door. I do not mean to make light of what is very serious to you. But, do you realize that sounds even more absurd than Joseph Smith finding the Golden Plates? Sorry, BJ
[/quote]

Actually you do mean to make light of it. And you have done it repeatedly. You are an extremely clever lady. And you also act with quite a bit of hatred and contempt toward Catholics. At least we make an honest attempt to learn what you believe. All you do is act in an insulting, hateful fashion. Is this the type of charity you would like the world to know about Mormonism? I’m sorry the Virgin Mary bothers you so. Many are jealous of her immaculate conception, though. I will pray for you.

[quote=iwonder]Actually you do mean to make light of it. And you have done it repeatedly. You are an extremely clever lady. And you also act with quite a bit of hatred and contempt toward Catholics. At least we make an honest attempt to learn what you believe. All you do is act in an insulting, hateful fashion. Is this the type of charity you would like the world to know about Mormonism? I’m sorry the Virgin Mary bothers you so. Many are jealous of her immaculate conception, though. I will pray for you.
[/quote]

Actually, I have responded to you in the same vein you have used to me. Which has been disrespect for my true beliefs while spouting your own version of what Mormons believe. I am trying desparately to understand what you believe. It is all so confusing, and now my dear husband is becoming equally confused. I have been reading what you have written and he does not understand your version of Catholicism and worshiping Mary. When the other Catholics say they do not worship Mary, and I read those posts to him earlier this year. We are both confused now, and I am definitely not mad, just very unfamiliar with worshiping anyone but God. I am truely trying to understand. I do believe in the immaculate conception, but why would I be jealous? Are you jealous of Mary? That seems like a silly thing to say.
But, I will pray for my own understanding of what you are trying to say, and that you will somehow be able to explain more clearly to me, who is so unfamiliar with your beliefs, even after attending mass with my husband every week for six years. I thought I understood better than I do, but now with your posts, I realize I totally misunderstood everything everyone in these posts and your masses has said about worshiping Mary.
I was not trying to be mean, I thought that you did not worship Mary. :confused: I truely am sorry for offending you, I did not mean to, although I must admit you offended me greatly and I thought at first you were about 15 years old, because of the really mean things you said about Mormons. Oh well, I understand you don’t know anything about our religion and I forgive your insults if you forgive my ignorance and insult of your beliefs. :slight_smile: BJ

P.S. I don’t think your priests come to the house to bless the sick do they? If they do we would love to have them come. We have had the LDS church elders come and administer to my husband, that, plus our faith in God is what saved his life when he had brain surgery.
So far no one in the Catholic church even notices when he is not there, no one inquires about him and no one speaks to him at mass, except during the time they all hold hands and say peace be to you.
So if you know please let me know if your church has healing prayers where they anoint your head with oil and pray to Heavenly Father that you will be OK if it be the Father’s will. I think that would give my husband great comfort. He thinks they don’t really care about him as an individual. But, he has great faith still in the Catholic church, it is tradition for him and he will not waiver, even when I try to explain he doesn’t worship Mary. Now, I have go and tell him I was wrong, that he does worship Mary.

I looked at your web site and the medjugorje was there, I showed it to my husband, so they must have remove it later. It was an image on film taken by a tourist in Turkey, in a Catholic mass. The image looked like a white ghost on the film and they claimed it was Mary, but only the tourist saw it, so maybe it was not official, so they removed it. So my understanding is that Catholics do not generally have personal miracles but only visions of Mary in various places doing nothing in particular miraculous. Just standing around looking like Mary, but never in detail. Kind of like looking at shapes in clouds. I think I could see Mary if I tried real hard. I read a book about a Mexican lady who saw Mary in the dirt of her oven door, and that was considered a great miracle, the whole book was about the vision on the dirty oven door. I do not mean to make light of what is very serious to you. But, do you realize that sounds even more absurd than Joseph Smith finding the Golden Plates? Sorry, BJ

Well, first of all I was asking why it was removed. It was a photo of the dancing sun at Medjugorje. And why does the Blessed Virgin Mary appearing seem so unbelieveable to you? She has appeard many times before. Like at Fatima- to three Catholic children by the way. in Egypt millions witnessed her appearing on the roof of a Catholic church. At a chuch a few miles away from where I live, the eyes of a statue of her lit up. I saw it with my own eyes! Your Mormon faith is a strong and beautiful one. The LDS Church runs their churches the way they should be run. And the miracles- that is fantastic! I believe that Mormons will be saved as well. Anybody who follows Christ, even if it with a false teaching- will be saved.

[quote=BJ Colbert]Catholics and other religions would not believe our miracles, as they are not what Catholics or others would consider miracles. So, they would laugh to hear the stories of personal miracles.
I hope you are not laughing at the one I shared with you, as I have never told it except to my own children, grandchildren and husband, and now you. :slight_smile: BJ
[/quote]

Pray tell - What is considered a miracle for LDS and how is it different than the Catholic definition?

Hopefully some LDS can answer this for me. There have been several LDS on these forums who have made the comment that “such and such” isn’t discussed because it is sacred and people would just ridicule them about it (specifically with the whole miracle discussion). I wonder…what makes you think people would ridicule you? And why do you even care if people ridicule you?

Matthew 5:11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.”

This may sound derogatory, but I can’t think of any other way to say it…some almost seem paranoid about it.

[quote=tkdnick]Pray tell - What is considered a miracle for LDS and how is it different than the Catholic definition?
[/quote]

tknick: I assure you that the Latter-Day Saints have perfectly ordinary kinds of miracles–healings, ability to speak in unlearned languages, visions, prophecies, etcetera. The LDS Church does not attempt to ‘prove’ their miracles as a rule, but otherwise their miracles are in no wise remarkable when compared to Catholic miracles.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.