Why were we put here on earth

ok guys…umm to start off im a 16 and all my life i have always had a question bothering me… “why are we here…i mean why did God create us and put us here so that when we die
we will either Suffer in eternal hell or go in heaven?” ive cried plenty of times out of anxiety , fear and depression
that i even went crazy about this…i wanted to know what you guys think of my question
and help me out. thank you ,all and God bless

From the old Baltimore Catechism, circa 1963:

Why did God create us?

God created us to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and be happy with Him in the next.

Find a Baltimore Catechism, and read it through, and you will find most of your questions answered and be a lot less fearful. God really does love us. He wants what is best for us. Our goal is to get to Heaven. We can only get to Heaven by dying. But, we know from Jesus Christ that death is not the end, Heaven is the goal.

We can know that our God is God, because He left us a set of instructions (the Ten Commandments are just the beginning). We don’t have to guess what some pagan god might want–we know what our God wants. And He really doesn’t ask for anything that we cannot do.

I will pray for your assurance.

Greetings Unstopablefaith,

From the first paragraph of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

#1 God, infinitely perfect and blessed in himself, in a plan of sheer goodness freely created man to make him share in his own blessed life. For this reason, at every time and in every place, God draws close to man. He calls man to seek him, to know him, to love him with all his strength. He calls together all men, scattered and divided by sin, into the unity of his family, the Church. To accomplish this, when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son as Redeemer and Saviour. In his Son and through him, he invites men to become, in the Holy Spirit, his adopted children and thus heirs of his blessed life.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit

God created you specifically out of love and you are called by Him to love yourself, and Him and all those who He has placed in your path of life. I recall having these questioins and anxiety too when I was young, trying to “make sense” out of things I could not understand. You sound very bright so, use the gifts that God has given you to be a 16 year old who is learning how to find a true path that fits your gifts and talents and leads you closer to Him. You won’t understand everything anytime soon and some things not until you stand before God in Heaven. Meanwhile, try to relax and know you don’t really have to know the “whys” of life, just recognize that you have been given the gift of life and use it for good. God loves you completely and unconditionally.:slight_smile:

If we say God needed—or even if you hedge your bets and call it “wanted” someone to love/serve Him, then does that not mean that God is imperfect? He was “missing” something? He “wanted” for something that he did not have?

My two cents:

When God created the Cosmos, God also created the The Kingdom.

God sent us into the fiery furnace of the Cosmos to purify us from our faults, flaws, and selfishness, removing our impurities in the fiery planet called Earth, and to transform our very nature so that we will love Him with all our heart, Mind, Strength, and to love one another and bless one another, that we will by our new nature do the good that we were created to do.

And He will return and take us into the Kingdom that He has prepared for us:

Isa 65:17-25

"For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth;
And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind.
18 "But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create;
For behold, I create Jerusalem for rejoicing
And her people for gladness.
19 "I will also rejoice in Jerusalem and be glad in My people;
And there will no longer be heard in her
The voice of weeping and the sound of crying.
20 "No longer will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days,
Or an old man who does not live out his days;
For the youth will die at the age of one hundred
And the one who does not reach the age of one hundred
Will be thought accursed.
21 "They will build houses and inhabit them;
They will also plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
22 "They will not build and another inhabit,
They will not plant and another eat;
For as the lifetime of a tree, so will be the days of My people,
And My chosen ones will wear out the work of their hands.
23 "They will not labor in vain,
Or bear children for calamity;
For they are the offspring of those blessed by the LORD,
And their descendants with them.

24 “It will also come to pass that before they call, I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear. The wolf and the lamb will graze together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox; and dust will be the serpent’s food. They will do no evil or harm in all My holy mountain,” says the LORD.
NASU

When I read “For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth;” I wonder if after we are purified here on Earth, we advance to another planet in our universe, where the quality of the people and all life is far superior than here, but that is pure speculation on my part.

God didn’t need us, but Love by its nature wants to share. That does not mean He was lacking or that He needed to do anything. True love is not motivated out of necessity but out of self emptying.

However, does it not mean that he was wanting for something? Therefore, “not complete”?

:thumbsup:

Life is not so much a test but a source of opportunities to create, evaluate, investigate, appreciate, celebrate and radiate joy, love and gratitude for all that we are and possess…

Sometimes you want to do something, even though there is no need for you to do it. When we want something, it is because we need it to fulfill us in some way even if it’s not a strict necessity for us to survive. God is a being beyond being, we can only understand that He has no necessity in Him, yet He still choose to create to share His love. This is part of the mystery of the faith. God is beyond rational categories that we set up.

Indeed! Only those who are inspired with love fully appreciate the meaning of life… :slight_smile:

We are here to know, to Love and to serve God in this life and so be happy with him in Heaven for eternity.

i get that were supposed to love himand i do, but i just dont understand why make people go through this…which is what hurts my mind the most

1. There is a price to pay for everything.
  2. There is no such thing as a free life!
  3. Every advantage has a corresponding disadvantage.
  4. The more sensitive we are the more we can enjoy life - and the more we can suffer…
  5. Ultimately we all get what we deserve because every virtue brings its own reward and every vice incurs its own punishment.
  6. It is a mistake to judge life solely by what happens in this world.
  7. Jesus showed us that love cannot exist without suffering…

Creation is an effect of an eternal will to cause the effect. Being that the will is eternal, willing to create is part of His pure act and thus ever complete. The *per accidens *are not necessary nor do they not complete Him, but His will to create is per se and part of His eternal unchangeable thought. What is a result of His pure act is necessary by supposition.

Have faith and don’t be afraid. Death is just a new beginning like birth.

To be happy we must be persons.

To be persons, we must have free will.

When a baby is born, it has not used its free will and cannot yet because it has lots to learn.

God cannot force the baby to be born loving him, because this would be a denial of free will. The baby has to be allowed to learn to love God by its own choice as it grows older and gets more understanding.

And that’s why we’re on Earth.

There are some who say most be will go to hell. That’s nonsense. If it were true than the devil wins the contest for souls. :eek:

I believe the overwhelming majority of people will be saved. You have to be a pretty rotten human being to be damned. ( Which is not to suggest, however, that we souldn’t consider the possibility that we could be a pretty rotten person. One we step on the slippery slope of sin how do we know we won’t slide all the way down to the bottom? We don’t. It’s better to keep working at being good. )

Perfectly good question, in fact, the most important religious/metaphysical question an emerging mind can ask.

I began seeking its answer at your age, but could not find an adequate answer within the Church. I looked elsewhere, and finding nothing better in other religions or philosophies, I invented my own answer a few years later. After fifty years I have finally wrapped a book around it, but you are too young for its reading.

For now, consider this simplified version:

What you refer to as your “soul” is an entity capable of acquiring self-awareness. It has always existed, long before the universe came into being, but is unable to develop consciousness in its native state. Human bodies and their associated life support systems (galaxies) were developed for the purpose of forcing souls like yours and mine, often kicking and screaming, into consciousness.

Your brain-body system will feed you information until you become independently self-aware. This is a difficult process. You’ve started it for yourself by asking a question of profound importance, but that is only a beginning. Good luck on your quest. :slight_smile:

greylorn wrote this garbage ! :mad: :banghead:

I began seeking its answer at your age, but could not find an adequate answer within the Church. I looked elsewhere, and finding nothing better in other religions or philosophies, I invented my own answer a few years later. After fifty years I have finally wrapped a book around it, but you are too young for its reading.

For now, consider this simplified version:

What you refer to as your “soul” is an entity capable of acquiring self-awareness. It has always existed, long before the universe came into being, but is unable to develop consciousness in its native state. Human bodies and their associated life support systems (galaxies) were developed for the purpose of forcing souls like yours and mine, often kicking and screaming, into consciousness.

This is trash. There’s not a word of truth in it. It’s New Age nonsense, an attempt to explain the world without God as its cause.

Greylorn spent fifty years thinking these things over? He wasted his life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.