Why why why?!

:mad:

A Facebook friend posted a scripture and asked what we thought about it. I gave the Church’s view and she told me that she didn’t want to know my church’s view, but MY view. What?!:confused: Shouldn’t all Christians have the same view as their church? I just told her that my view was the Church’s view and left it alone. Did I do the right thing?

I put this here so I would know how to better handle these things when it comes up. I guess she didn’t get the answer she was looking for…or the argument.

Unfortunately, most people, many Catholics included, don’t care what their churches teach, but rather only care what they think. They make themselves the supreme judge of right and wrong, and it inevitably leads to mistakes and falsehoods.

You definitely did the right thing, rest assured of that.

:thumbsup: you did the right thing!

Yes you answered correctly. Our church is not outside us, it is us.

That’s a really pretty quote.

I’m glad I handled it the correct way. It just bothered me that she wanted my opinion and not that of the church I attend. It boggled my mind.

I find that some uninformed people really believe that Catholics are non-thinking brainwashed automotons walking in lock step with the Pope. They believe we parrot back what the Church tells us and that we have somehow lost our free will and our ability to think.You did a super job! Some people just don’t want to hear the Catholic viewpoint.

:thumbsup:

I don’t remember who said it but someone once said our transcendent duties shouldn’t be in conflict with our temporal duties.

You are kinder than I. I would have shot back, “The Bible isn’t a fortune cookie with passages taken out of context to suit my – or any – personal interpretation.”

Prov 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;

Prov 14:12 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof is the ways of death.

Judges 21:25 In those days there was no king in Israel: but every one did that which seemed right to himself.

And who does she think these verses apply to? “Surely not me, Lord! These words you had spoken by your prophets and wise men apply to others, but surely not me, who is perfect in my own understanding!”

I shouldn’t speak so caustically, but it does bother me a lot.

I think that’s the cafeteria Christian attitude. The idea that one’s personal opinion and the opinion of the denomination one belongs to don’t have to agree. And if the opinions of one’s current denomination no longer match one’s personal convictions, it’s possible to change denominations/faiths/beliefs.

Instead of learning more about the faith (Catholic or otherwise), people tend to switch faiths or not follow those teachings (as if someone said faith would be easy :shrug:).

You did the right thing.

It sounds like she is just engaging you in a dialog. I wouldn’t make too much about it. You didn’t say what the Scripture was or what your answer was. So I can’t say much more than that.

Why would you be part of a Church that you disagree with?

The Church is the Body; you are a member of the Body. If you reacted against the teachings, you would be a rebel, a tumor in the body. You definitely answered correctly.

My cousin is an evangelical and slammed me with the remark that when we are judged by Christ, it’s not going to matter what church we belong to.

I disagree. Christ has only one church and I think we should agree with it, as far as God’s gift of faith leads us. All churches are not equal or the same.

I would respond with the same answer, but perhaps using your own words, if they are true to the teaching of the Catholic Church. If this is a new subject area for you, this is your chance to study up on it, to deepen your understanding. Your response on Facebook is a form of evangelization that you can perform.

You can also tell her that your opinion is not evidence; what the Church teaches as far as faith and doctrine is, because it is from the Head, Jesus Christ.

According to:
catholic.com/quickquestions/are-catholics-free-to-interpret-bible-verses-without-the-churchs-approval

So far as the interpretations of individual scriptural passages go, keep in mind that the Church does not, as a rule, define how specific verses are to be taken. Instead, it defines doctrine, and that definition may eliminate some interpretations of particular verses. Ludwig Ott’s Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma should answer most of your questions in these areas about the Church’s teaching office.

Only seven passages of Scripture have had their senses partially—but not fully—defined by the extraordinary magisterium. These definitions were made by the Council of Trent (see “The Limits of Scriptural Interpretation” in the January 2001 issue of This Rock):
The reference to being “born of water and the Spirit” in John 3:5 includes the idea of baptism.
In telling the apostles, “Do this [the Eucharist] in memory of me” in Luke 22:19 and 1 Corinthians 11:24, Jesus appointed the apostles priests.
In Matthew 18:18 and John 20:22–23, Jesus conferred on the apostles the power to forgive sins; everyone does not share this power.
Romans 5:12 refers to the reality of original sin.
The presbyters referred to in James 5:14 are ordained, not merely elder members of the Christian community.

So depending on what she was asking about… she may have really wanted YOUR opinion.

It is still a Catholic view…she didn’t want that after I told her I am Catholic. She didn’t want a Catholic view apparently. lol

I’d just point out that they’re the same, and that she asked for your opinion and got it. :slight_smile:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You did good

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.