Why? Will our Lord "expire" within 7 days?

I know we all recieve the Holy Eucharist every single week (that is if you have no mortal sins).

This is a silly yet stupid question to ask. If I took my 1st Communion last Sunday the 20th, how long is our Lord going to “be in me”? Is that why we have to go every week to “recharge” our soul with the Lord? Does it last 6 days and then go back to Mass and get “fueled” up again or what?:wink:

In other words, I’m trying to say that if we don’t go, then we wont grow in spirit, correct? That’s why we need the Eucharist to help us if I’m understanding correctly?

God doesn’t need freshening up, we do. :wink:

you could receive once a day if you wished but IIRC the only obligation is the once a year Easter duty

Latin rite Catholic are required if not in mortal sin to recieve the Eucharist once a week. We need God. God doesn’t need us.
It could also be our daily bread.

[quote=MommaKat]Latin rite Catholic are required if not in mortal sin to recieve the Eucharist once a week.
[/quote]

That is directly contrary to my instruction and understanding. Do you have support for this statement? I twould be extremely helpful.

Does your body need daily nourishment to survive? Yes. And your soul needs nourishing as well, in the form of Eucharist. Now weekly is all that is required, but daily is amazing.

From the CCC

1388 It is in keeping with the very meaning of the Eucharist that the faithful, if they have the required dispositions, receive communion each time they participate in the Mass.[219] As the Second Vatican Council says: “That more perfect form of participation in the Mass whereby the faithful, after the priest’s communion, receive the Lord’s Body from the same sacrifice, is warmly recommended.”[220] 1389 The Church obliges the faithful “to take part in the Divine Liturgy on Sundays and feast days” and, prepared by the sacrament of Reconciliation, to receive the Eucharist at least once a year, if possible during the Easter season.[221] But the Church strongly encourages the faithful to receive the holy Eucharist on Sundays and feast days, or more often still, even daily.

[quote=MommaKat]Latin rite Catholic are required if not in mortal sin to recieve the Eucharist once a week. We need God. God doesn’t need us.
[/quote]

This is not accurate. Though we have an obligation to attend Mass on Sunday (or Saturday vigil) if it is possible, we are NOT required to partake in communion. There may be reasons why someone might not partake.

As for how long the Lord is in us: when the accidents of bread and wine are no longer recognizable, then the Real Presence ceases. This is a matter of minutes, not days.

[quote=MommaKat]Latin rite Catholic are required if not in mortal sin to recieve the Eucharist once a week. We need God. God doesn’t need us.
[/quote]

I think the operative word is “urged” and not “required”. Only attendance at Mass is required unless there are extenuating circumstances.

[quote=Orionthehunter]I think the operative word is “urged” and not “required”. Only attendance at Mass is required unless there are extenuating circumstances.
[/quote]

I agree with you and the other posters. It is not required to receive Communion every Sunday. Mass attendance every Sunday is required. Of course if someone is in a state of grace it doesn’t make much sense if they attend Mass and do not receive Communion so as you say we are urged to do so.

It is a law of the Church that Catholics confess their sins once a year, and receive holy communion at least once during the Easter season, it is strongly urged that these sacraments more frequently. Mass attendance every Sunday and holy day is also an obligation. The presence of Jesus remains as long as the “accidents” of bread and wine remain in the sacred species, that is, for as long as it takes for them to no longer have the recognizable attributes of bread and wine, so about 5-15 minutes after ingestion.

The Real Presence may only last a few minutes, but its effects can last and grow forever. Physically Christ comes and stays with us for as long as the accidents of bread and wine last, but spiritually, the grace that is given can keep going and going.

[quote=Paris Blues]I know we all recieve the Holy Eucharist every single week (that is if you have no mortal sins).
[/quote]

If you are not in a state of mortal sin, you can receive the Eucharist no more than once a day.

[quote=Paris Blues]This is a silly yet stupid question to ask. If I took my 1st Communion last Sunday the 20th, how long is our Lord going to “be in me”?
[/quote]

Don’t recall which Saint said it but I recall reading that Jesus remains with us physically for about 10-15 minutes – during that time, we are joined to Him both physically and spiritually. Spiritually, the Lord can remain with us longer or shorter … that really depends on us.

As was just said, Jesus is only physically present within us for about 15 minutes after we receive the Eucharist. When the accidents of the bread and wine (appearance, taste, touch) no longer remain, neither does Jesus.

Does Jesus just “go away” until the next time we celebrate the Eucharist? Nope. We still have the in-dwelling Christ, which is also very real within us. However, as with a husband and wife, although each is with the other at all times spiritually (“the two shall become one”), there is an intimacy that is shared in physical contact that renews the love between them.

So it is with our Savior.

Could there be a more wonderful gift? And people have the never to ask if Catholics have a personal relationship with Jesus…sheesh.

God Bless,
RyanL

[quote=Sir Knight]If you are not in a state of mortal sin, you can receive the Eucharist no more than once a day.

[/quote]

Hi Sir Knight

Thought id just point out that we can recieve the Eucharist twice a day, and possibly a third time should someone be in danger of death. :thumbsup: I am not sure if this is only applicable on a sunday.

In Christ.

Andre.

Magicsilence is correct. We can receive twice a day, and at least one of those occasions must be at a Mass. (Remember that a sick person can have the Eucharist brought to them, and there are also communion services wherein people receive the Eucharist, but is not a Mass.)

I’d like to see the documentation on the 2X per day… I was always under the impression that once per day was only allowed. This was one of the reasons that different priests celebrated different daily masses in order to avoid receiving more than once per day. I may be wrong and if so, could you please show me the documents?

From EWTN:

One of the significant changes for the faithful in the Code of Canon Law which was promulgated in 1983 was the permission to receive Holy Communion more than once per day. In the past the law set certain conditions, such as participation in a funeral, marriage or ordination Mass. The new canon, however, simply states, c.917 A person who has received the Most Holy Eucharist may receive it again (iterum) on the same day only during the celebration of the Eucharist in which the person participates, with due regard for the prescription of can. 921, part 2.

What it is saying is that if one attends a Mass after                     receiving Holy Communion previously that day, one may receive it                     again. If it is not a Mass, but a Communion Service for example,                     one may *not* receive again.

The rest of the article is worth reading. :thumbsup:

God Bless,
RyanL

Am I to understand that if I go to two masses in one day, I can receive twice? What about if I go to three masses? Can I receive three times? What about if I attend ALL the masses that my parish has on Sunday – can I receive at each mass?

Thank you Ryan, that enlightened me. I was still under the pre 1983 “rule” in this regard.

Sir Knight, this is a cut and paste from the document Ryan showed us. Basically ONLY a second time and not as often as we attend Mass that day. Also, any time if you are in danger of death, from what I am understanding.

**Doubt: Whether, according to canon 917, one who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist may receive it again on the same day only a second time, or as often as one participates in the celebration of the Eucharist. **Response: Affirmative to the first; negative to the second. AAS 76, (1984) 746]

[quote=Loboto-Me]Thank you Ryan
[/quote]

You’re quite welcome; as nothing is free, however, you have to sign up on the map linked in my signature!

God Bless,
RyanL

P.S.,
When it asks for your e-mal address, click “no thanks”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.