Why would God not wish all we need to be written down?

Good afternoon,

I was reading responses in the Apologist forum on a question concerning St. Paul’s lack of mention of Mary. The following quote is taken from one of the reponses:

“But what we have in the N.T. is what GOD wished us to have. Just because other things (sacred tradition) might NOT be in the Bible, or because some things simply aren’t KNOWN, doesn’t mean that they didn’t happen, or weren’t “worthy” or “approved” by God”.

This quote bothers me because why would God not wish us to have all we needed written down in the N.T.? Doesn’t that quote give credence to the Sola Scriptura theory–and everything not in the Bible is not really required by God? Also, what can I read with regard to Mary’s ascension and where Tradition comes from? Thank you very much, in advance.

Sherilo

Dear Sherilo,

Nowhere will you find in Scripture Jesus commanding anyone to write anything down. You will find Him commanding the eleven to “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.” (Mt.27:19-20) So if God required everything to be written down, there is no written evidence for it. For that, we have to rely on Sacred Tradition. Sacred Tradition is all we had until the New Testament was written and compiled (by the Catholic Church). It still guides us in our understanding of Scripture.

We are literate and feel comfortable with books. For centuries most people could not read. Even now Protestant missionaries have a difficult time evangelizing the illiterate because all they have is the written Word.

You mention Mary’s ascension. Mary did not ascend. Jesus did. To ascend is to go up by one’s own power. Mary was assumed—brought up—by God. She had no power to achieve such a thing on her own. For more on her assumption, see this:
[LIST]
*]Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary[/LIST] For more on Sacred Tradition, see:
[LIST]
*]Tradition[/LIST] Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.