DH came home the other day and said a friend of his from work has a dishwasher available for free. A year and a half old, in excellent condition, but he received another as a gift and likes the new one better. DH said he’d ask me if we wanted it.
My first impulse was HECK YES! But then the more I thought about it, I can only think of two benefits to having a dishwasher.
- Saves time washing & drying dishes and
- Saves my hands from getting dried out.
But I can think of a whole host of negatives.
- It’s hard on the dishes and shortens the life of glassware.
- It takes extra water and electricity.
- It takes special detergents that cost money.
- You’ve still gotta rinse the dishes so is it really saving time?
- If the cycle isn’t started or is in the middle somewhere, having to dig through the muck to get a plate in a pinch is kinda gross.
- If we forget to run it, we have no dishes ready when we need them.
Yet, it still seems like it would be dumb to say no to the offer. I mean, this is the year 2008, right? Shouldn’t I have one? I don’t want to tell him yes if I’m not 100% positive we’ll install and use it.
So, anyone out there have any pros I’ve overlooked? And those without dishwashers, would you ever get one?