Why would Mohamed (Pbuh) do that?

Many non muslims out of ignorance of not having read the quran,claim that Mohamed wrote the Quran. many claim that Mohamed (Pbuh) outrightly copied wholesale from the Old testament. Ask yourself, why, why would Mohamed (pbuh) copy from the OT if he was creating another religion, if he was writing the quran?What would it benefit him? He was arab,orphan and poor what would it benefit him to write whole chapters about Jewish Prophets? What would it benefit him to write the whole story of Mary and Jesus? Would itnot have been more beneficial to him to Write about his mother Aminah or his wife Khadijah as being great women.Would it not befit and benefit more to write about his father and his Uncle Abu Taleb who was very well known among the pagans rather than Praise Jesus , Moses and Jonah and Joseph and so on.
What would it benefit him other than that it was not written by him but all his was a revelation to him from a source who knew the truth about all this long before Mohamed (pbuh) was even created. The quran tells the story of Mary and how when she was a child she was offered to the Temple as an oath made by her mother Chapter 3 verses 35-44.

1. (Remember) when the wife of 'Imrân said: “O my Lord! I have vowed to You what (the child that) is in my womb to be dedicated for Your services (free from all worldly work; to serve Your Place of worship), so accept this, from me. Verily, You are the All-Hearer, the All-Knowing.”

2. Then when she delivered her [child Maryam (Mary)], she said: “O my Lord! I have delivered a female child,” - and Allâh knew better what she delivered, - “And the male is not like the female, and I have named her Maryam (Mary), and I seek refuge with You (Allâh) for her and for her offspring from Shaitan (Satan), the outcast.”

3. So her Lord (Allâh) accepted her with goodly acceptance. He made her grow in a good manner and put her under the care of Zakariyâ (Zachariya). Every time he entered Al-Mihrâb to (visit) her , he found her supplied with sustenance. He said: “O Maryam (Mary)! From where have you got this?” She said, “This is from Allâh.” Verily, Allâh provides sustenance to whom He wills, without limit."

4. At that time Zakariyâ (Zachariya) invoked his Lord, saying: “O my Lord! Grant me from You, a good offspring. You are indeed the All-Hearer of invocation.”

5. Then the angels called him, while he was standing in prayer in Al-Mihrâb (a praying place or a private room), (saying): “Allâh gives you glad tidings of Yahya (John), confirming (believing in) the Word from Allâh *, noble, keeping away from sexual relations with women, a Prophet, from among the righteous.”

6. He said: “O my Lord! How can I have a son when I am very old, and my wife is barren?” Allâh said: “Thus Allâh does what He wills.”

7. He said: “O my Lord! Make a sign for me.” Allâh said: “Your sign is that you shall not speak to mankind for three days except with signals. And remember your Lord much (by praising Him again and again), and glorify (Him) in the afternoon and in the morning.”

8. And (remember) when the angels said: “O Maryam (Mary)! Verily, Allâh has chosen you, purified you (from polytheism and disbelief), and chosen you above the women of the 'Alamîn (mankind and jinns) (of her lifetime).”

9. O Mary! “Submit yourself with obedience to your Lord (Allâh, by worshipping none but Him Alone) and prostrate yourself, and Irkâ’i (bow down etc.) along with Ar-Râki’ûn (those who bow down etc.).”

10. This is a part of the news of the Ghaib (unseen, i.e. the news of the past nations of which you have no knowledge) which We inspire you with (O Muhammad You were not with them, when they cast lots with their pens as to which of them should be charged with the care of Maryam (Mary); nor were you with them when they disputed.

as we see above in the verses quoted that this is not from the OT nor from the NT as a matter of fact neither OT nor NT devotes this type of information to Mary mother of Jesu nor Zakaria. and as we can see verse 44 GOD says clearly that Mohmed was not ther to witness this and many other things about other Prophet of the past and this proves that the quran could only have been revealed by non else than the One who made all this take place.The one and only GOD my GOD and your GOD.

To be cont…*

Cont…

Think about it, all this and every thing else in the Quran could only be a reveltion from the almighty creator.Read the Truth, read the Quran then decide if this could have been written by a mere man who was not present to witness any of it. why would Mohamed praise the competition i.e Jesus as a great man who performed miracles as the next verses mention, miracles that Christians don’t even beleiev in.

Chapter 3 verses 45-51

1. (Remember) when the angels said: “O Maryam (Mary)! Verily, Allâh gives you the glad tidings of a Word “Be!” - and he was! i.e. 'Iesa (Jesus) the son of Maryam (Mary)] from Him, his name will be the Messiah 'Iesa (Jesus), the son of Maryam (Mary), held in honour in this world and in the Hereafter, and will be one of those who are near to Allâh.”

2. “He will speak to the people in the cradle and in manhood, and he will be one of the righteous.”

3. She said: “O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me.” He said: "So (it will be) for Allâh creates what He wills. When He has decreed something, He says to it only: “Be!” and it is.

4. And He (Allâh) will teach him 'Iesa (Jesus)] the Book and Al-Hikmah (i.e. the Sunnah, the faultless speech of the Prophets, wisdom, etc.), (and) the Taurât (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel).

5. And will make him 'Iesa (Jesus)] a Messenger to the Children of Israel (saying): "I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, that I design for you out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, and breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by Allâh’s Leave; and I heal him who was born blind, and the leper, and I bring the dead to life by Allâh’s Leave. And I inform you of what you eat, and what you store in your houses. Surely, therein is a sign for you, if you believe.

6. And I have come confirming that which was before me of the Taurât (Torah), and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden to you, and I have come to you with a proof from your Lord. So fear Allâh and obey me.

7. Truly! Allâh is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him (Alone). This is the Straight Path.

Peace

Pbuh, and many people here will not know this, means “peace be upon him.” I am afraid that I have to tell you in all frankness that many here would say instead Mohamed (pfuy), where pfuy stands for nothing and means phooey.

Mohamed was the Joseph Smith of his time. He took an existing religion (actually two of them) and opportunistically cut a new one out of the whole cloth by writing his own book. And he did so because of ego and a personal sense of a very peculiar but very persuasive way to gain power. The pope may kiss the Koran, and of course in the deepest possible sense all people are brothers and sisters no matter what their convictions, but no, in my opinion, do not expect Christians in general to embrace what to us after all these centuries is still an upstart and unnecessary creed on the religious level.

The so-called religion he founded was simply a mixture of paganism, Judaism and Christianity. When he wrote the Koran what he didn’t understand in the scriptures of the latter two he omitted or just changed to suit his own needs. He was in fact a killer who spawned a religion of violence and embarked on conversion by coercion. Anyone who didn’t convert was put to the sword.

The words of Jesus come to mind here – “by their fruits you will know them.”

my opinion…
A hallucination. He wanted to be rich, start a religion that has some similar beliefs as the other two religions in that region(Judaism,Christianity). The human desire to be powerful.

Now, I did start reading the Quran, but I don’t find it to be the word of God. When reading the Quran, it gave me the impression that God wasnt merciful and harsh, and hates the unbeliever. Since I was the unbeliever that was mentioned in the Quran, I felt unwelcomed. Seriously, reading the Quran made me feel gloomy and unwelcomed and unloved

Look at these verses from the Quran:
Surah 002.006
As to those who reject Faith, it is the same to them whether thou warn them or do not warn them; they will not believe.
Surah 002.007
Allah hath set a seal on their hearts and on their hearing, and on their eyes is a veil; great is the penalty they (incur).

The first verse seems to be saying to give up on those 'who reject the faith’
The second verse seems to be telling that God has prevented the disbeliever from finding the truth (sealed their hearts,hearing; veiled their eyes).
And, those verses are not out of the context.

But when I read the Bible, especially the Gospels, I feel at peace, a sense of hope. Reading the Bible makes me want to do something good, to change my life for the better. The Gospels are truly the ‘Good News’ because they teach us God is merciful and always willing to forgive us, as long as we repent.

Also the Koran contains lies. It denies the Divinity of Jesus and talks about Jesus just being a creature.

lightofeyes,

What benefit did any of the Apostles have in declaring over and over and over again to all who would listen that Jesus was divine?

They died for telling this over and over.

So why would they do it if it wasnt true?

And so of course it is true?

So why would Mohammed say it isnt, if he was supposedly told the Quran by God??

When you read ALL of the Bible, along with the CCC and ECF writings, and then read ALL the Quran, logic prevails and leads you to the Truth.

I’m afraid I do not know the Quran well at all, but the quoted suras seem to me direct equivalents of Matthew 10:14-15:

Whoever will not receive you or listen to your words--go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet.
Amen, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.

I may be mistaken, but I thought Muhammed was raised by his wealthy uncle. He wasn’t poor…he was just illiterate.

This was not a revelation given to Mohammed. The Proto-Evangelum of James outlines this story of Mary and the Temple. It was rejected as Scripture by the Catholic Church long before Mohammed was born. The story continues to circulate even to this day. It is a pious story.

taken from the Arabic gospel of Infancy. Read it, and you’ll see why we reject such an absurd book…add to it that it was written in the 4th century. Did Allah inspire such an absurd book in order to quote it in his eternal Quran?

I have read none of the koran. My understanding is that it was written for Mohammed’s culture: I would not understand it.

Karen Armstrong’s book A History of God described Islam as the most beautiful religion, and that reading the Koran in its native language is a most beautiful thing.

Karen Armstrong is a former Catholic nun who “graduated” to Islam. She then proceeded to graduate to a “freelance Monotheist”, whatever the hell that is.

So, to ask the same question as Pope Benedict’s quote that cause such anger in the Muslim community around the world:

Does the teaching of Islam bring more love, peace, hope, charity to the table than Christianity brings?

Why would Mohammed not bring something superior to Christianity to the table?

I repeat…Islam festers upon the wheat that has been sown in christianity. Claiming its succession to the scriptural prophets and denouncing the resurrection of Christ and His deity.

THAT is as good as telling you that your religion is worthless, that Christ has NOT died for you, and your salvation is a VAIN.

And here we have people telling us about the K’oran that contains so much historical errors???

If allah can forgive muhammad for speaking up for the demon to the quaryish tribe, why couldn’t allah forgive the jews? NO…allah wanted them all DEAD because God said “I will show my steadfast love to you, my people (Jews)”. Allah told muhammad to make sure the divorced wives had sex with other men before they are allowed to be taken back by their first husbands. But what did God teach through Moses and His prophets in Deuteronomy 24 and Jeremiah 3 on this matter?

God said its D-E-T-E-S-T-A-B-L-E ! UNCLEAN.

I dont consisder it to mean the same thing, because in this verse he says not to force someone ( “(those) who will not receive or listen to your words” ) to listen or to accept the truth.

I think lightofeyes has something else in his eyes!

mohamed is a joke and I’m tired of seeing that Pbuh ****.

The question put forward in the OP is strange. There’s so many people who have claimed divine revelations. Why do any of them claim that?

Satan also is a work in the world. His work, such as the Koran is full of confusion.

Same here!

I am not an expert on the koran, but I know that Mo did not write the koran, as a matter of fact Mo’s so called revelations were written down about 150 years after his death, and yes those who wrote the koran did incorporate Judeo/Christian scriptures into their work of art.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.