Why would one give one's soul to a saint?

Greetings,
I recently stumbled upon a child’s prayer that in part said " Mary, Jesus, and Joseph, I give you my heart and soul." I can kind of see “giving ones soul” to Jesus - it belongs to him anyway - But why would someone want to give their soul to Mary, Joseph, or any other created person? Is that acceptable to God?

Also, what exactly does it mean to consecrate oneself to Mary? Why would a person want to Consecrate themselves to anyone other than God? I am a convert and still struggle with some of the more traditional Catholic devotional stuff. I think there is a good chance that it all boils down to semantics and I’m not understanding what is really meant.

Thanks,

Sonja

Hi Sonja,

The prayer goes: “Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I give you my heart and my soul. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph assist me in my last agony. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, may I breathe forth my soul in peace with you. Amen.”

The prayer is for a peaceful death in the company of the Holy Family. St. Joseph has long been associated with dying a beautiful death. Most likely, he died in the company of Jesus and Mary. Often Catholic cemeteries are named after him because he is seen as the patron of happy deaths. We acknowledge Mary and Joseph as holy people—people who are close to Jesus. Why would we not want them near as we meet Jesus face to face?

Since people often speak of giving their hearts to those they love, it follows that we would want to do the same with Mary and Joseph whom we love. Since they are such a part of Jesus’ life, they are also a part of ours.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.