Why wouldn't any of the authors of the New Testement mention anything about praying to ot venerating Mary?

Since the Virgin Mary so so important to our Catholic faith, why didn’t the Apostles or St. Paul write about devotion to Mary, or praying to and highly venerating her? Why doesn’t Mary have a much more prominent place in the New Testament? I’ve read the entire Bible and I didn’t come across anything that referred to her as Co-Redemptress, Immaculate Conception, Queen of Heaven or any of the highly exalted tiles given to her by the Catholic Church.

Let’s start off with the easiest one first. Immaculate conception. “Hail, FULL OF GRACE, the LORD is with thee”. Since when does everything have to be explicitly in the Bible? The word TRINITY is not in the Bible, but most folks that call themselves Christian belief in the Trinity.

You’re giving a bad answer to a good question. The word trinity isn’t used in the New Testament, but the concept is certainly there. The concept of praying to Mary isn’t. It does not logically follow that prayer to Mary is essential just because of the way the angel addressed her. There may very well be a good answer to the question, but when you give poor answers like this, you just add to the confusion and take credibility away from the Church.

I’m no expert

But I would think it’s bc Mary was alive then? And the apostles obviously had a lot of respect for her and she was with them when it comes to prayers. Would be kind of weird to be like “pray to this woman so she would pray for you”, although it probably happened. I mean, we ask each other to pray for us, so it would make sense that they asked his mother to pray.
I also wonder why it’s not stressed explicitly.

I would like to know the answer as well

Hi, Joe!
…perhaps you are reading too fast… :D:D:D

It was the Jewish custom that the queen would be the mother of the king–not the wife; hence, since Jesus is the King of kings, what would that make His Mom?

Here’s a couple of visions that may have escaped your thought as you read through Scriptures:

15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers;
he will crush your head,
and you will strike his heel.” (Genesis 3:15)

1 A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. 2 She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth. (Apocalypse 12:1-2)

The Battle is prophesied in Genesis where the woman that would bear the Messiah would be in enmity with the ancient serpent (Satan) and this Battle (spiritual) is unfolded in Apocalypse 12 where Satan’s impotence against the Child forces him to turn his wrath towards the woman’s other children (verse 17)… in this Vision of the Battle Mary is situated in Heaven in a majestic dress (attire) complete with Crown and all!

Remember that the intent is to exalt Jesus by honoring His Mom and to defend/present Jesus’ Divinity (never ceasing being God) and humanity (Incarnate by the Power of the Holy Spirit in the perfect vessel chosen by God).

Maran atha!

Angel

The primary purpose of the Gospels is to record the message of Jesus. In order that one may come to know Jesus. And as St.Paul put it (me thinks) milk before solid food.

Rewarding Mary’s intercession for us…the source is Jesus at the wedding feast of Cana.
His Mother was worried about the hosts’ feelings when she knew they were running out of wine.
She mention this embarrassing fact to Jesus, who at first brushed off her implicit request for His help
She knew what He could do, but He simply said that His time hadn’t yet come, it wasn’t yet time for miracles, He effectively indicated.

However, with trust in her Son, Mary told the servants to do whatever Jesus told them, and in response to her quiet intercession for the hosts, and her faith, Jesus performed the miracle of changing water into wine.

John 2:1-12…so you see, the seal of the fitness and efficacy of Mary’s intercession, even in matters that were not ‘life or death’ but in ordinary human matters, was set by Jesus Himself.

God bless,
Trshie

These articles and posts should help.

[LIST=1]
*] The Intercession of the Saints
*] Praying to the Saints
*] Saint Worship?
*]Is Mary’s and the saints’ intercession unbiblical?
*]What is the biblical reason Catholics pray to saints for intercession?
[/LIST]

Freeway Joe - if you parish doesn’t have a subscription to FORMED.org and/or Symbolon; I HIGHLY suggest that you purchase an individual subscription to FORMED.org and watch the Symbolon series for starters. FORMED.org is only $9.99 per month for an individual subscription and is like a “Catholic Netflix”

Symbolon was originally created for RCIA and is OUTSTANDING. Plus there are other programs on their, like “The Bible and the Virgin Mary”

Check it out. I know it will be a huge help.

Also, I recommend two books: “Behold Your Mother” by Tim Staples & “Meet Your Mother” by Dr. (Deacon) Mark Miravalle.

God Bless

She was still alive when those texts were written. The doctrines were implicit in the New Testament and in some Old Testament texts:

Co-Redemptrix: John 2 (the wedding at Cana, “they have no wine”)

Immaculate Conception: Genesis 3: 15, Luke 1: 26-38

Queen of Heaven: Psalm 45 (Vulgate 44), Revelation 12 (written by St. John who was entrusted with the charge of looking after Our Saviour’s Mother)

As with any Saint, the cult of Mary could begin in earnest only after their death (or, in Mary’s case, her Assumption). Most conservative dates for the New Testament books end at 70-90 A.D.

I would replace it with Intercessor.

Well, it begins there, but then if you factor in the greatness of Mary over the Saints, and her special place in the economy of Salvation, “Co-Redemptrix” isn’t too far away. :slight_smile:

The term Co-Redemptrix may be confusing because it insinuates she is a co-redeemer with Christ.

Which is probably why the Church downplays it a little in these days of relative theological ignorance. :slight_smile:

Heh.:smiley:

“Salute Mary, who hath laboured much among you.” - Romans 16:6

“And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints [this includes Mary];” - Revelation 5:8

“For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed;” - Luke 1:48

Is this really a reference to Our Blessed Mother? I never knew that.

Catholic Encyclopedia seems to think it’s a different person: newadvent.org/cathen/09749b.htm

The Haydock commentary has no notes on this.

Thank you for all your insightful replies! I will follow the suggestions and look into the recommended resources.

Co-redeemer goes a little too far for me. Without Mary’s fiat we would not have a Saviour, but we were saved only by the death and Resurrection of our Christ. Not by any other agent. Without Pilate Jesus would not have died, but we give him no such title.
Allow Mary to be the Mother, handmaiden, and our greatest saint, but she is only human. (No disrespect, my Mary.)

You gave a poor rebuke to a good critique. While I agree that the answer given may not have been a good way to answer the question, the concept of prayer to Mary is certainly in the New Testament. The wedding at Cana comes to mind.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.