Why You Can Disagree and Remain a Faithful Catholic

Has anyone read this book by Philip Kaufman? I just borrowed it from the library by chance. The title seems like an oxymoron if there ever was one.

I read it. Great book!:thumbsup:

I sure hope the book does not encourage/glamorize rebellion.

Ahimsa, glad to see the book gets a thumbs-up from you.

Hellisreal, that was my fear as well.

I loved this book! Every Catholic should read it, I think. :slight_smile:

What about it did you like?

I dissented with the Catholic Church for decades, but never was so ill-informed to think that doing so was congruent with being a "good" or "faithful" Catholic.

I read Philip Kaufman's book, and it is clear to me he is dillusional. Dissent with Catholic dogma or doctrine is not compatible with being a good or faithful Catholic. Those who dissent with dogma or doctrine (or act contrary to Catholic discipline) commit a grave sin, objectively speaking.

What the author proposed in his text is about as absurd as if I claimed to be a "faithful" member of the Amish community, yet rejected their teachings on baptism and drove around in my fancy clothing and Mustang convertible, thereby "disagreeing" with the Amish at the same time claiming to be faithful.

Dissident Catholics need to wake up from the fantasy world they seem to cling to. You can be a faithful Amish by dissenting with Catholic teaching. You cannot be a faithful Catholic by doing so. For some reason, there are some who unconvincingly want to claim unity with those with which they don't actually maintain or even desire to maintain unity. It would be just as convincing if they had a "faithfull Amish" bumper sticker on their Mustang convertible.

The Catholic Church teaches:
On the binding nature of discipline and government: "we cannot pass over in silence the boldness of those who "not enduring sound doctrine" [II Tim 4:3], contend that "without sin and with no loss of Catholic profession, one can withold assent and obedience to those judgements and decrees of the Apostolic See, whose object is declared to relate to the general good of the Church and it rights and discipline, provided it does not touch dogmas of faith or morals." There is no one who does not see and understand clearly and openly how opposed this is to the Catholic dogma of the plenary power divinely bestowed on the Roman Pontiff by Christ the Lord Himself of feeding, ruling, and governing the universal Church." (Blessed Pius IX, Encyclical Quanta Cura (1864), Denzinger 1698)

On the binding nature of doctrine and decision pertaining to doctrine:

"We do now declare and expressly order, that all are bound by the duty of conscience to submit to the decisions of the Biblical Pontifical Commission, both those which have thus far been published and those which will hereafter be proclaimed, just as to the decrees of the Sacred Congregations which pertain to doctrine and have been approved by the Pontiff" (From Motu proprio of St. Pius X, Praestantis Scripturae, Nov 18, 1907, Denzinger 2113)

Other statements regarding dissent:

"Both clergy and faithful, of whatever rite and dignity, both singly and collectively, are bound to submit to this [ordinary authority of the Roman Pontiff] by the duty of hierarchical subordination and true obedience, and this **not only in matters concerning faith and morals, but also in those which regard the discipline and government of the Church throughout the world. **[First Vatican Council, Session 4 (18 July 1870)]

"If one loves the Pope...one does not oppose to the Pope’s authority that of others, however learned they may be, who differ from him. For however great their learning, they must be lacking in holiness, for there can be no holiness in dissension from the Pope." (St. Pius X, allocution of 18 November, 1912, AAS vol. 4 (1912), 693-695. Selection from p. 695)

"t is beyond understanding how a member of a religious Institute ... presents himself as a "Defender of the Faith," and at the same time does not hesitate to attack the catechetical instruction proposed by lawful authorities...[being] *serious violations of his duties as a religious, a priest, and an ordinary member of the Church.... Therefore, let them who ***in grave peril* are ranged against the Church seriously bear in mind that after "Rome has spoken" they cannot be excused.... Let them realize that they are children of the Church...having heard the clear voice of their Mother, they cannot be excused from culpable ignorance, and therefore to them apply without any restriction that principle: submission to the Catholic Church and to the Sovereign Pontiff is required as necessary for salvation." [Venerable Pius XII, Letter of the Holy Office, August 8, 1949, against the dissent and disobedience of Fr. Leonard Feeney from the Archdiocese of Boston].

"It is sometimes reported that a large number of Catholics today do not adhere to the teaching of the Catholic Church on a number of questions.... It has to be noted that there is a tendency on the part of some Catholics to be selective in their adherence to the Church's moral teaching. It is sometimes claimed that dissent from the magisterium is totally compatible with being a 'good Catholic,' and poses no obstacle to the reception of the Sacraments. This is a grave error..." [Venerable John Paul II, Address to the Bishops of the U.S., September 16, 1987]

=TheGoodLife;2265148]Has anyone read this book by Philip Kaufman? I just borrowed it from the library by chance. The title seems like an oxymoron if there ever was one.

ah well ,we know they'll be reading by Natural Fire...........light. IF they buy this balonney.

It so much easier to say I'm a Catholic than to Be One! BUT God knows the difference.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.