Why?

According to Christian apologetics, four gospels are different angles of the same events. Can anyone combine these four gospels of the same events and make it into a scene as it happened in reality?

In the gospel of Mark (10:17-18. see Luke 18:18-19), a man is reported to have asked Jesus, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life? "Jesus § simply replied, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; You shall not defraud; Honor your father and mother.’ "

Look at the same event in Matthew. “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. …” (Matthew 19:16-17)

The exact wording on the cross was…
This is Jesus the King of the Jews (Matthew 27:37)
The King of the Jews (Mark 15:26)
This is the King of the Jews (Luke 23:38)
Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews (John 19:19)

A large stone was placed at the entrance of the tomb. When the women arrived…

They saw that the stone was Rolled back (Mark 16:4) They found the stone rolled away from the tomb (Luke 24:2) They saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb (John 20:1)

As the women approached, an angel descended from heaven, rolled away the stone, and conversed with the women. Matthew made the women witness the spectacular rolling away of the stone (Matthew 28:1-6)

Mary Magdelene first met the resurrected Jesus…

Mary and the other women met Jesus on their way back from their first and only visit to the tomb. They took hold of his feet and worshipped him (Matthew 28:9)

On her second visit to the tomb Mary met Jesus just outside the tomb. When she saw Jesus she did not recognize him. She mistook him for the gardener. She still thinks that Jesus body is laid to rest somewhere and she demands to know where. But when Jesus said her name she at once recognized him and called him Teacher. Jesus said to her, Do not hold me… (John 20:11 to 17)

Can anyone help me?

There are few statements in the Bible that I couldn’t understand, such as below.

Leviticus 12:1-8 God requires purification rites following childbirth which, in effect, makes childbirth a sin. (Note: The period for purification following the birth of a daughter is twice that for a son.)

Exodus 12:13 The Israelites have to mark their houses with blood in order for God to see which houses they occupy and “pass over” them.

Do God grieve or repent? Is ignorant that he may repent of his deed later? Check Genesis 6:6.

Is God limited in power? Check Judges 1:19.

Can God be jealous? Check Exodus 20:5, 34:14, Duet 4:24.

Do God deceive people? Check 1 Kings 22:21-23.

Do God confuse people? Check Genesis 11:9.

Can anyone help me to understand?

What do you not like about the answers you were given before about these questions?

If it is the same God as Mohammedans claim, the Koran has very similar verses that say allah leads astray whom he wills…and other such statements. How/why do you explain allah doing it, but question God from the OT?

You just don’t give up, do you? :yawn:

Vickie

Some more problems.

“Judge not, that ye be not judged” -Matthew 7:1

“Judge not, and ye shall not be judged, condemn not and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven” -Luke 6:37.

Why there is courts in Christian countries?

“And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven” -Matthew 23:9

Why there is fathers in Churches?

“You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you. I am the Lord”-Leviticus 19:28.

Whay many Christians have tattoo?

Why bastards can’t enter the Lord’s congregation? (Deuteronomy 23:2)

Can anyone help me to understand?

According to Christian apologetics, four gospels are different angles of the same events. Can anyone combine these four gospels of the same events and make it into a scene as it happened in reality?

No. The gospels were assembled from memories and oral traditions - there is no external description of the events to which one can anchor or order anything. The gospels weren’t written as biographies; they were each written with a specific theological purpose to explain who Jesus was - thus the order and exact wording was not important to the author. In addition, we don’t have anything close to original copies of the gospels - we have thousands of pieces and marked up parts so we are even further form the “reality”.

I wasn’t answered.

Khalfan, the questions you’ve asked are the sort of questions asked by someone who has a rudimentary familiarity with Christianity and the Bible. Full explanations would require more space than we have here.

There are many excellent books, especially some that I’ve read from the Protestant side of the house, that explore these apparent “contradictions” very satisfactorily. Most so-called contradictions arise in the mind because the reader is not reading carefully, or perhaps has a bone to pick, a point to prove, and is therefore superimposing a certain interpretation on the materials.

The guidence of God were given to all generation of mankind. If any of them still choose to lead sinful life and astray, God indeed leave them to be. God leads astar who he wills, becasue those people want themslef to be so. If there is anyone among them to be saved from astray, God help him too.

How do you explain, God confusing people?

I don’t think most of the Christians would agree with you. Specially the statements like,

“we don’t have anything close to original copies of the gospels”

"we are even further form the “reality”

I prefer an answer for atleast one question.

And you assume that because you know that Muhammad authored the Quran, it’s the truth and the word of God because he said it was!

Is this what you call proof? Do you consider someone’s “private revelations” to be completely trustworthy?? Has it never occurred to you that they could be fabricated? You stated in another post that you believed Muhammad was the last prophet because he said he was! Don’t you think that is pretty naive?

Vickie

OK, let me try. Let’s take the first “problem” you posed.

**""In the gospel of Mark (10:17-18. see Luke 18:18-19), a man is reported to have asked Jesus, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life? "Jesus § simply replied, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; You shall not defraud; Honor your father and mother.’ "

Look at the same event in Matthew. “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” "Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. …" (Matthew 19:16-17)""**

First, I’d like to note that your quote of Matthew 19:17 is not accurate according to my KJV. In my KJV verse 17 reads this way: “And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.”

So, based on this error in your transcription, I am forced to conclude that all three gospels are in agreement. Even if Mt 19:17 read the way you said it reads, there’d be no contradiction as far as I can see. Jesus is identifying himself with God. The man calls Jesus good. Jesus replies that, indeed, only God is truly good, which is equivalent to Jesus making the claim to be God, which he was. He then goes on to give the man his answer: Obey the commandments. This is the same answer given by God.

Actually, the original copies of all the written sources have completely disappeared. The oldest fragment of any portion of the New Testament dates from the 2nd century, 100 years after Jesus’ death. The next oldest fragments (of Matthew, Luke, John, and Thomas) date to about 200. The first complete copy of the Greek New Testament (Codex Sinaiticus) is from the 4th century. Thus, three centuries separate Jesus from the earliest complete surviving copies of the gospels.

The translations all of us use are not even from a single source - they are formed from about 5000 Greek manuscripts that contain all or parts of the New Testament.

The exact wording on the cross was…
This is Jesus the King of the Jews (Matthew 27:37)
The King of the Jews (Mark 15:26)
This is the King of the Jews (Luke 23:38)
Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews (John 19:19

In my own words. If you have a classroom of 20 or so people and a man runs in and steals a bag and then runs out you will have several different discriptions of the person. All 20 saw the same event and could say with accuracy that a theft took place but the fine details as to color of his hair, coat etc. will vary. The events in the bible were written by different people at different times. Details may vary but the main story will be the same.

You have asked too many questions in one thread. You need to ask one question at a time. it’s to hard to even follow the conversation if you list them all like that. Besides, you will get much more thorough answers if you ask one at a time.

So what one question do you prefer we answer?

Well, I will go with this one. This (like much of the rest of your questions), is part of the old levitical law, which has been replaced by the law of Christ.
But the word in the original is not “bastard”, it is “mamzer”. A mamzer is not someone who is born out of wedlock; it is someone who is conceived from a prohibited relationship.
The idea is to keep the Israelites from following the custom of the Egyptians, who routinely married brother to sister, or parent to child. It was never intended as a punishment for the child. It was intended to make it unattractive to continue that among God’s chosen people.
For starters, it was unhealthy. It perpetuated all kinds of illnesses & birth defects.

This is:thumbsup: :thumbsup: excellent advice!!

Khalfan, here is an advice from someone who is used to these same questions from Muslims time after time because muslims project their ideas on our scriptures. The gospels as you surely know by now are written by different people…logic follows that you will find different details about the same event Now if you believe that the author of the Quran is only one, then how come we find the same passages repeated many times with different details? did Allah forget the details the first time and had to “insert” them in another “revelation”? or was he learning history from someone?well the gospels are totally different…they were written by MANY and you are objecting to the different details yet your book was written by supposedly one and you raise no eyebrow as to why details vary if the author is one? reconcile the events in the gospels is all you need to form a general picture of what could have happened since they were not written so that you make a movie out of them but to preach to you about God’s love and salvation.

Let say we are police and want to make report of the same event. That 20 students can vary in details becuse they say what they saw. It can contain mistakes. For example, even if the theif had black hair, their may be students who said, it was brown or something else. Few students may say he was wearing ablack leather coat but few may say it was dark blue. End of the day we Police need a picture of the person to continue investigation. We cannot make a picture of a thief with brownblack hair wearing blueblack jacket. The bottom line is, we don’t have the true picture of the theif. Becasue the picture is supposed to come from the memory of the students which defenitly contains errors. Otherwise there wouldn’t be contradictions.

Isn’t it the same situation with the details of Jesus (pbuh) given in Gospels? We don’t get the true picture of Jesus (pbuh) from the details given in Gospels because it too made out of their memory which can contain errors.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.