Wicca

I am writing a paper on wicca and was wondering if the Church has ever officially declared this belief system to be a cult/false religion?

Firstly the Church doesn’t specifically need to declare something to be a false cult or false religion to make it so - the Church DOES declare what it believes, and it does declare that all faithful Catholics must hold to its teachings and nothing contrary. You can find loads of contraries in wicca, therefore it is incompatible with Catholicism.

You also might want to check out the Church document 'Jesus Christ The Bearer of The Water of Life: A Christian Reflection on the ‘New Age’ ’ (you can do a google to find it online).

I don’t think it names wicca per se but certainly condemns many different aspects of so-called ‘new age’ religion which would be pertinent to wicca.

“Wicca” as such is a modern construct, although it does hark back to a form of debased pagan belief system.

As a new “religion” I dont suppose the Catholic Church would formally declare it false anymore than they would formally declare shintoism false. Warnings against occultic and demonic practices often associated with Wicca are made however.

As a general rule, of course, all faiths that deny the redeeming truth of Jesus Christ are considered of necessity to be false.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.