Wiccan or Renaissance???

I am a 16 year old girl who is very interested in medieval and Renaissance type things. I recently went to www.renstore.com and found a beautiful circlet (a piece of metal that hold hair back or veil on) that had a waning moon, a full moon with a star in the middle, and a waxing moon. I was told that each moon represents the three stages of a woman: maiden, mother, and crone.

But now, I was reading through the thread called “Wiccan,” it had a description of Wiccan practices which had these three stages as a part of their movement. Is it wrong to want to buy it for Renaissance purposes?

In and of itself, the circlet is morally neutral. It is simply a metal hair accessory that depicts the moon in different phases. Wiccans may attach their own meaning to it, but that doesn’t mean that you accept such meaning by wearing the circlet. Throughout Christian history, Catholics have been open to “baptizing” the morally neutral aspects of paganism and imbueing them with Christian meaning. In this case, your hair clip can remind you of St. Francis of Assisi who is famous for singing hymns in praise of nature to the Creator. Here is a line from his Canticle of the Sun:

Be praised, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars; in the heavens you have made them, precious and beautiful.

**For further reading:

Is Catholicism Pagan?**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.