Wide-eyed children

Yesterday, I went to the Mall of America, in suburban Minneapolis, with my brother, before dropping him at the airport, for his flight home.

At the mall, we saw hundreds, if not thousands, of wide eyed children, enjoying the sights with their moms and dads. Many of the moms were pushing double strollers, with cute twins side by side.

Surrounded by the holiday displays and vast crowds of shoppers from around the world, the expressions on the children’s faces were priceless.

Surprisingly, to me at least, was that at least 90% of the children were exceptionally well behaved.

It was like Garrison Keiller’s Lake Wobegone, where all of the children are above average.

It all depends on what time of day you go often.

Early morning children are pretty well behaved. Then around lunch things get hairy. For a while things are quiet. Then naptime kids get cranky and parents ignore that. From 2-6 there's more or less peace and the after 6 kids are cranky and fall apart again.

But it's good kids were behaved. I so often don't see that.

Lego land there is the GREATEST! My son and I were there last week - he is almost 16 and loves to visit the MOA with mom!:D (Seriously, he does).

[quote="Magickman, post:1, topic:224240"]
Yesterday, I went to the Mall of America, in suburban Minneapolis, with my brother, before dropping him at the airport, for his flight home.

At the mall, we saw hundreds, if not thousands, of wide eyed children, enjoying the sights with their moms and dads. Many of the moms were pushing double strollers, with cute twins side by side.

Surrounded by the holiday displays and vast crowds of shoppers from around the world, the expressions on the children's faces were priceless.

Surprisingly, to me at least, was that at least 90% of the children were exceptionally well behaved.

It was like Garrison Keiller's Lake Wobegone, where all of the children are above average.

[/quote]

I thought this thread was going to be about those paintings of waifs with huge eyes that were so popular back in the 1960's.

:D:rolleyes:

Ha ha ha! So did I! Guess that puts me in the old category…though as a child back then, I thought those paintings were kind of creepy.

[quote="Magickman, post:1, topic:224240"]

Surrounded by the holiday displays and vast crowds of shoppers from around the world, the expressions on the children's faces were priceless.

It was like Garrison Keiller's Lake Wobegone, where all of the children are above average.

[/quote]

ack, you are making my homesick. I am going to have to stream MPR on my computer and get some feeling of home. :thumbsup:

[quote="Irishmom2, post:5, topic:224240"]
Ha ha ha! So did I! Guess that puts me in the old category...though as a child back then, I thought those paintings were kind of creepy.

[/quote]

I thought they were silly and ugly, but right now, I'm looking to buy one, to hang up so that when I feel like throwing myself a little Pity Party, I can look at it and remind myself that I'm not a waif and I don't need to try and play one on TV!!! :D

Actually the artist, Margaret Keane, is quite talented and she's done some nice work since then. I think what she produced in the 1960s fit that era and time in her life but she's done some happier paintings since.

keane-eyes.com/

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.