Widow sues church over refusal to install late husband's NASCAR-inspired headstone

**Does the I want what I want becau[size=2]s[/size]e I want it ever stop? This priest needs some support.

Widow sues church over refusal to install late husband’s NASCAR-inspired headstone

An Indiana woman who wanted to honor her late husband with a headstone that captured his interests in sports and the outdoors is suing a Catholic church for refusing to install it.

Shannon Carr spent $9,600 on the black granite headstone to mark the grave of her husband, Jason Carr, who died in an August 2009 automobile accident. The headstone is shaped like a couch and features images of a deer, a dog and color logos of NASCAR and the Indianapolis Colts.

The Rev. Jonathan Meyer, priest at St. Joseph Catholic Church, notified the monument maker that the headstone didn’t meet the cemetery’s standards and couldn’t be placed in the church’s century-old graveyard, The Republichttp://global.fncstatic.com/static/v/all/img/external-link.png reported. But Carr says in her lawsuit that the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis Properties Inc., which owns the cemetery, never produced any regulations for the plot until more than a year after she tried to have the headstone installed in 2010.

more…

Every cemetery has regulations. She’s a fool for spending that amount of money before checking.

I would love to have a certain type of monument for us where we will be buried - unfortunately it’s not allowed where we plan to end up. Oh well. :shrug: If it meant THAT much to us, we’d find another cemetery.

And yes – the “I want what I want because I want it” will sadly never end, this side of heaven.

~Liza

“fools” have a hard time thinking straight when they have lost the love of their life.

Well then, you told me, didn’t you.

:rolleyes:

~Liza

I hope the Church does not back down. It is the Catholic Church not the Church of sports and beer.

I want the following inscription on my gravestone: “I told you I was sick”

Just kidding. My son is buried in a 150 year old cemetery on our parish property. I was just glad that they allowed gravestones, instead of those brass plaque things you see in so many cemeteries.

If you read the story, the lady was told not to order the gravestone by the parish council, but she did anyway. She should have had the fight before the expenditure of $10,000 for the gravestone.

Don’t tell me that she’s suing that church for money in order to compensate for the expenses?

This is a weird story. I know of some classy multi-denominational cemetaries that wouldn’t allow a NASCAR Tombstone in their cemetary grounds.

Gee; what is the widow thinking of? No doubt she’s in a mental state of bereavement.
Too attached to this materialistic world.:shrug:

yup

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Seems to me most gravestone carvers keep a list of regulations for most local cemetaries? And if asked to make something so… errrr… creative, wouldn’t they have called the cemetary to confirm?

But oh, then I see it did get all the way up to the Parish Counsel and she WAS warned not have the stone made.

So, yes, it does sound like a grieving widow who has gone (hopefully, just temporarily) a little around the bend.

Shaped like a sofa? Did he spend a lot of time there? And his favorite teams and NASCAR? That’s his legacy? Not his love for his family and their love for him? His love of God? His big heart? His compassion or humor? She wants everyone visiting his grave to remember his favorite teams? Yikes!

I remember a headstone in the cemetery in Stone Mountain Georgia, that gave the man’s name and then below it “shot dead by” and gave the shooters name which I can’t remember. Creative?

No more crazier than themed caskets, whether it be Harley themed or your favorite sports team themed. Personally, just like the themed caskets, I don’t see anything wrong with the tombstone, but if she was told not to create the tombstone, and went ahead and did it anyway, that’s her problem.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.