Widowed at 49 with child

Praying. :console:

My mother lost her husband when she was 44. It’s been rough on all of us. I don’t think we really talked about him without crying for around two years. Losing someone very close to you is extremely hard, but we weather it and go on, knowing that we will be reunited with them in heaven.

I do believe that you will be reunited- you with your husband and me with my father. I don’t think such bonds simply evaporate when we die. I think that instead, we get to know the other believers a whole lot better. We’ll all have some kind of bond, by virtue of serving the same God and being stuck with each other for all eternity. :smiley:

hugs zenith

I’m so sorry for your pain. We all love you, and we will celebrate together after a little bit longer.

:crossrc:

Thank you. Is it wrong to want to see him again? I mean, obviously, the Beatific Vision should be and will be far outshining anything else in heaven, and that will be the focus of one and all in the company of God–but, is it wrong to want to see your lost beloved also? I mean, it may well be that once we get to Heaven, we won’t care a fig or anything else but seeing Him that made us, but right now I am till on earth and I care a great many figs whether I ever see my loved ones again

I thought there isn’t marriage in heaven because marriage is a sacrament to help sanctify two people so they can get to heaven. You don’t need that if you are already there! I read a great book once that used the phrase “heaven is not communistic.”. As in, every relationship there is not the same exact as the next in holy “equality” or something, What comes to mind is John, “the disciple Jesus loved.” When we hear this, do we think Jesus loved others less than He loved John? Impossible. But there was something special about their friendship leading to that title. So why can’t there be special relationships in heaven that are even better there than on earth bc all sin is gone and the two can glorify God together?

Zenith,

First off I am so sorry for your loss. I pray that God grants your strength and peace. Yes; Jesus said that there is no marriage in heaven (Mark 12:25). But that does not mean we lose our love for those we have known here in this world. Our focus, love, and devotion all turn to God – in my opinion at least.

For your husband being baptized and receiving an Apostolic Pardon; could be thought in the parable Jesus told about the “Workers in the Vineyard” (Matthew 20:1-16). Where a farmer hired workers in the morning, then more later in the morning, still more in the afternoon, and yet even more in the mid-evening. When the workers were paid for their labor, each one of them was paid the same amount regardless of when they started working. Some complained and farmer stated each worker was paid exactly what was agreed upon so they should have no issues with what he pays to someone else.

The reason I bring up this parable is that I take it to mean that regardless of when we choose to accept God into our lives and repent of our sins, we also will be paid (accepted) into Heaven. No matter if we were lifelong believers (the morning workers) or later in life believers (near the end of our day as the workers).

It does not lessen the pain of loss but it may bring comfort that your husband accepted God – just like the workers.

May God bless and keep you.

Winter

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.