Widowed Father Discerns Religious Vocation

My mother passed away a year ago and my father is now thinking about entering into a religious vocation - priest, brother, deacon, etc. He is retired Army, has a few medical problems, and has 5 grown-ish children. We are all very supportive of this decision because he had been in seminary before joining the Army. However he wants us to be weigh all the pros and cons and think deeply on how this will affect us and our families. Not knowing much about religious orders I’m not really sure what all the pros and cons are. Any information about this to help us make an informed decision would be very helpful.

God Bless!

[quote="Pix, post:1, topic:305699"]
My mother passed away a year ago and my father is now thinking about entering into a religious vocation - priest, brother, deacon, etc. He is retired Army, has a few medical problems, and has 5 grown-ish children. We are all very supportive of this decision because he had been in seminary before joining the Army. However he wants us to be weigh all the pros and cons and think deeply on how this will affect us and our families. Not knowing much about religious orders I'm not really sure what all the pros and cons are. Any information about this to help us make an informed decision would be very helpful.

God Bless!

[/quote]

Oh I so hope he pursues this, we need men that can lead a more saintly life and older men should be less prone to fall to temptation.
Plus he brings a lot of experience that to a priest would be a boon!

I'll pray for him!

My mother passed away a year ago and my father is now thinking about entering into a religious vocation - priest, brother, deacon, etc. He is retired Army, has a few medical problems, and has 5 grown-ish children. We are all very supportive of this decision because he had been in seminary before joining the Army. However he wants us to be weigh all the pros and cons and think deeply on how this will affect us and our families. Not knowing much about religious orders I'm not really sure what all the pros and cons are. Any information about this to help us make an informed decision would be very helpful.

God Bless!

[/quote]

If he becomes a diocesan (secular) priest or deacon, it would really no affect your family much at all. He could remain in the same area, and can keep all his property and pension.

If he becomes a religious, a lot could change. He would likely have to give away all his property or turn it over to the order, and could be assigned anywhere it the world.

Practically, most religious orders don't accept late vocations, because they guarantee financial support for life, and too many older members would burden the community.

Diocese are much more open to older vocation b/c the diocese doesn't promise to support priests and deacons. They get a salary and benefits, but also can draw on their own savings, pensions, etc.

May God Bless your father's vocation abundantly!

[quote="JerryZ, post:2, topic:305699"]
Oh I so hope he pursues this, we need men that can lead a more saintly life and older men should be less prone to fall to temptation.
Plus he brings a lot of experience that to a priest would be a boon!

I'll pray for him!

[/quote]

Amen!

If my wife died, I would seriously discern the priesthood.

God Bless

This could be wonderful for both your father and the Church. Many older widowers seem lost and die young. A religious vocation could give your father a new lease on life. The Church certainly needs priests. This could be a real blessing for the younger members of your family.

As others have noted, there is a significant difference between being a member of a religious order and a diocesan priest.

God Bless!

[/quote]

Pro's/Cons
You'll have to call him Father Father! One thing to consider that once ordained the whole parish will become the family he is responsible for so he may not have the same time available to be Dad or Grandpa that he would otherwise. It would be great having a priest who loves and prays for you all the time!

I remember hearing a story recently about someone (a celebrity or athlete, maybe?) who was married in the Church, and the celebrant was his grandfather. Similar situation where the grandfather had kids and grandkids, and after his wife passed, he felt called to the priesthood. I think it is such a blessing for the family!

God Bless!

[/quote]

Sorry, no firsthand experience with a family member.

Although where I used to live, we had an older priest who was widowed. He had retired and was starting Deacon formation when he wife died so he switched tracks or whatever and became a priest. Still wore his wedding ring, and would occasionally mention his wife or his children in his homilies, which would get visitors stirred up! He got quite sick for a while, and got anointed. There was a lot of talk about him then - he had undergone all seven Sacraments. There's not many men who can claim that!

Whatever seminary he enters, trust them to help him discern.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.