Widowed under 40

I lost my husband of 21 years to a very sudden heart attack about 9 months ago. It was very unexpected. I have relocated to the Houston area to be closer to family and have joined a local catholic church. The church is very large and I am trying to find out where there might be others, like me, who might share their experience of losing a loved one. I am under 40 and am having a hard time trying to fit in anywhere. Everyone is either married and busy with family or single and very young. If anyone out there knows of a good catholic based ___???support group, let me know.

Sorry about your situation. My mother was widowed at 39 and that was tough. But rest assure there is a place for you and all you need to do is keep looking for it and be patient. God cares for the widowe’s and orphan’s. I will keep you in my prayers.

God Bless
Kathleen

First of all, please accept my condolences on the loss of your husband. May God rest his soul in peace.

Not to be in any way flippant, but why not call the parish office and ask if there are any widowed support groups in the parish or your area? I’ll bet you there probably are.

It sounds like you’re looking for a bereavement support group. I googled and came up with the Texas Catholic Herald online, seemingly out of Houston, which has published something you might be interested? It appears to have started yesterday but I bet if you call they will welcome you immediately.

RSVP - a 10-week support program in English and in Spanish for persons in the initial stages of separation, divorce or the death of a spouse, begins Tuesday, March 7 at the Cameron Retreat Center at St. Dominic Archdiocesan Center. Life patterns change and the process of adjustment can be very difficult if one has to go through it alone. The trauma, pain and agony that accompany a loss can be made bearable and the grief process worked through more effectively with the assistance of others who have had a common experience. For more information and/or to register, contact Carmen Saucedo at (713) 741-8730, Tommy Black at (281) 543-4641, or FLM at (713) 741-8710.

This was taken from the Archdiocese of Galveston/Houston website, not sure if it’s close enough for you, but emailing couldn’t hurt and they might put you in touch with someone:

*BEREAVEMENT - Support group every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month from 7 to 8 p.m. at St. Clare of Assisi Church, 3131 El Dorado Blvd. For information, call Kathy Flinn at (281) 488-0732 or email kathyflinn@sbcglobal.net .

The best bet is to call your church or look in the bullentin. I don’t know what side of town you are on but you can always look go to the arch diocese web page and search just for bereavement…

archgh.org/FamilyLife/bereavement.htm

or

My mom, Step dad and all the kids went through a program like this years ago when dealing with the divorce. Very good program…

THE BEGINNING EXPERIENCE, a special weekend program for those who have lost a spouse through separation, divorce or death, will be held Friday evening through Sunday afternoon, March 3-5, at St. Dominic Archdiocesan Center. It is designed to help make a new beginning in life through a powerful, intense and positive experience of hope. The program also will be offered June 23-25. For more information and/or to register, call (281) 568-3418. See www.beginningexperience.org .

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.