Will all of our good and bad deeds be revealed in public on judgment day?

What is the Catholic position on this subject?

I believe so. Jesus said that what is done in secret will be shouted from the rooftops, if memory serves. The only thing that makes me feel a bit better is that everybody will be hearing the same sins many billion times over, hopefully they won’t be paying too much attention to mine…

Seriously though, there is the initial judgement when you die, and you meet Christ. Then there is the final judgement, and all indications seem to point to it being a public affair. Kind of sucks, doesn’t it.

“For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.” (Luke 8:17)

“Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.” (1 Corinthians 4:5)

1039 In the presence of Christ, who is Truth itself, the truth of each man’s relationship with God will be laid bare. The Last Judgment will reveal even to its furthest consequences the good each person has done or failed to do during his earthly life:

All that the wicked do is recorded, and they do not know. When “our God comes, he does not keep silence.”. . . he will turn towards those at his left hand: . . . “I placed my poor little ones on earth for you. I as their head was seated in heaven at the right hand of my Father - but on earth my members were suffering, my members on earth were in need. If you gave anything to my members, what you gave would reach their Head. Would that you had known that my little ones were in need when I placed them on earth for you and appointed them your stewards to bring your good works into my treasury. But you have placed nothing in their hands; therefore you have found nothing in my presence.”

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P2P.HTM

Yes, all will know why we are where we are in the end.

“For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more.” (Heb 8:12)

Will God also reveal those sins which he says he will remember no more? Or will he reveal only what is unrepented of?

Of course we can only speculate. It may be those sins committed, repented of and forgiven will be revealed as such.

Bottomline! does it really matter? does it affect our Salvation?

We may be able to Rejoice for a moment at the Good that God brought about by our thoughts, words & deeds. Then Lament those deeds we did or didn’t do perhaps as a final act of Purgation before we embrace the Fullness of JOY that is our uniting with God.

Bathed in the Holy Light of His Divine Presence will it matter to us then? Hopefully we will get the opportunity to find out. Perhaps we should refrain from trivality and focus more on hearing “His Voice” and properly responding.

I know I need to up the count on the “good side” of the ledger… How about you?

Regards,

Bad news: all will be exposed
Good news: your bad deeds will be burned up; your good deeds purified
Best news: all your sins will be buried in the sea of forgetfullness never to be remembered anymore

My personal view point is that it will be “one-on-one”, like a reconciliation. God will show us our life as we lived it, with all the bad and good, all the triumphs and all the mistakes and failures. We will see, through His grace, how whatever we did affected others, and understand the right and wrong, the postive and negative of everything we thought and expressed and did. We will realize what it means to be perfect as God is, and see the many times we were far from that perfection, and the few times we almost achieved it.

There will be no “public” involved (meaning all people or souls) but rather the souls of those with whom we interacted in our lives (which will be many more than most of us realize), and as we are “shown” our life we will see and feel the impact we had on each of them. So if we helped them, loved them or cared for them, we will feel those wonderful emotions. If we hurt someone, or hated them, spurned them, or scorned them, we will experience those feelings as well. In either case, we will see how it affected them.

Whatever we were, whatever we did, God will “play back” for us and we will fully understand the impact of what we did (or didn’t do). It will be a personal revelation as to how we responded to the will of God.

Again, that is my personal view, and not that of any church doctrine that I am aware of. It is something that I feel internally, and cannot link it to any particular teaching of any specific faith.

I think your viewpiont is sound and makes sense from a spiritual manner.

My only question for you would be how can the “public” not be involved?

Let’s face it, reading the bible all the evangelists met scorn and most of them death at the hands of the Public.

Wouldn’t Jesus also want healing for the entire “public” in what is called the church, which I have also heard called a hospital for sinners.

The Holy Mass is not a private affair either. That too is “public” in a manner.

I would disagree, for the same reason I tend to disagree with the protestant viewpoint of Jesus in general. Jesus is a corporate saviour. Jews had no concept of an individualized messiah. I tend to think the Final Judgement will be public. And I don’t really care. Everybody sins, mine are really bad. God knows my heart better than I do, and I don’t answer to the people watching. Their turn’s coming anyway.

But won’t that be contradicting God’s assurance that he will not remember our sins any more?

I like the careful wording of the Catechism:

1039 In the presence of Christ, who is Truth itself, the truth of each man’s relationship with God will be laid bare. The Last Judgment will reveal even to its furthest consequences the good each person has done or failed to do during his earthly life:

I notice that the judgment will reveal the good which we have done or failed to do, but not the evil that we have done. Because if all our evil deeds were made public, we would be put to shame, but the Bible says that no one who believes in Jesus will be put to shame (Rom 10:11).

That’s an interesting point, Wesley. My response would be that the NT does not distinguish between sin and lack of good works e.g., James, so that may not apply.

However that is an interesting point you made about not being put to shame, and is worth further reflection. I may have to look more into this and brush up on Revelation a bit, as this may shed some light into the issue.

Hey brother, it doesn’t affect our salvation! :slight_smile: But what’s wrong in investigating? :slight_smile: There are a lot of things in Christianity which do not affect our salvation, but that doesn’t mean we don’t investigate!

I think in light of Romans 10:11, the “good that we fail to do” as mentioned in the Catechism, could not be referring to sin. Jesus told the parable where some people give 100% fruit, others 60 and others 30. I think Jesus will show us on that day what could have happened if we had given 100% instead of just 60 or 30.

It may depend on how you define “public”. In my vision, many people (or as I prefer to say, souls) will be “involved” in the process, but not all of humanity, together at the same time. It does not make sense to me that everyone who has ever lived would take part in God’s review and judgment of each and every individual. For what purpose? You and I aren’t helped by hearing what sins Johann in Austria committed in the 19th century. It is our own behaviour that matters.

My “public” consists of all those with whom we have ever interacted, from our immediate family to the street person who asked us for a dime (I’m dating myself here). We will realize how everything we did affected someone in some way, whether it is our own self or any number of other people. We will see how our actions and words (and inaction and silence) contributed to the good and evil that existed in the world, and how it followed the will of God, and how and when it didn’t. It will be a true revelation.

The same process will occur for each and every one of us, so that you will see the result of your interaction with all those you have come into contact with or affected in some way (and based on my construct, anyone reading this and especially reacting to it has now interacted with me, and what I have written has affected them in some way; so what we have written and the affect it has on the other will be part of my review and judgment, and of yours). So in that respect the “public” IS involved.

So I don’t see this as us standing before God and having a list of our sins read off. I see the process as a cleansing and enlightening of our souls, so that we may be truly worthy, once it is complete, of being in His presence.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.