Will all souls have been released from Purgatory by the time of the Great Judgement?

Hello my friends,
Forgive me if my question sounds rather silly but it is something that has piqued my interests. As the title says, will all those souls currently in Purgatory be released by the time of the Great Judgement? Any clarification on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much for reading.
God bless you.
:thankyou:

Hello my friends,
Forgive me if my question sounds rather silly but it is something that has piqued my interests. As the title says, will all those souls currently in Purgatory be released by the time of the Great Judgement? Any clarification on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much for reading.
God bless you.

St. Augustine said that “temporary punishments are suffered by some in this life only, by others after death, by others both now and then; but all of them before that last and strictest judgment”. It is between the particular and general judgments, then, that the soul is purified of the remaining consequences of sin. So at the time of the General Judgement, there will no longer be a Purgatory and all of the souls there will be released.

Your question brought to mind a similar question that I thought about this year. Let’s say a soul dies and is sentenced to Purgatory but the very next day Jesus comes for the second and final time for the General Judgement. I was thinking, “Wow, that soul really lucked out by only spending 1 day in Purgatory”. Then I watched an interview/program on EWTN that really put my question in perspective. First of all, Purgatory is not bound by space and time like Earth. Secondly, all God’s actions are good, just and done with love so every soul is judged correctly and will be purified correctly in this life, in Purgatory or both. No soul will “luck out” by spending less time in Purgatory than need be. Basically what the man was saying in the program is that God is infinitely wiser than humans and every soul will be judged correctly, purified correctly (if need be) and will not enter Heaven until they “have paid the very last copper” (Luke 12:59).

God Bless

On that “lucking out” part I was reading about a mystic who was told that for those souls who don’t have the time between death and the final judgement that their purgatory will be more intense so as to purify them more quickly. Interesting either which way…

I am sure God can increase the suffering a soul must endure so that they will be purged of all stains of sin, even if it means lessening their time in purgatory,

After the Final Judgement there will be no more Purgatory but the Church does not know or teach that Purgatory will be empty before the Final Judgement.
Only God knows. No point in speculating.

Time is not a factor once we die though, I dont think we can even speculate about these kinds of things, mainly because we are only familiar with time in the way we know it, things happen, time passes, time is required for things to happen, etc.

Our lowly human brains are just not capable of comprehending an existence where there is no time, when someone says ‘eternity’ we think of this as a VERY VERY long time, billions of years, but its probably nothing like this at all, not even close.

In short, going from the time we know in our world, and the way it ‘feels’, to an eternity, no matter where we end up will likely not ‘feel’ anything like what we are used to, or what we think it will feel like.

I beg to differ because, by definition, all created beings exist in time. Only God exists outside of time.
Purgation is a process, processes by definition involve change, and change by definition involves time.

We exist in time before death. Time after death may not be the same.

So you are saying time exists in purgatory?

USMC_Convert

On that “lucking out” part I was reading about a mystic who was told that for those souls who don’t have the time between death and the final judgement that their purgatory will be more intense so as to purify them more quickly. Interesting either which way…

I read that too. Very interesting.

Private revelation. Not taught by the Church. The Church doesn’t even claim that there is any “time period” in purgatory. It may be an instant of purgation. There are many mystics that contradict each other. That is why the Catholic Church ignores private revelation in it’s teachings.

Once again we have untrained people trying to be theologians. Why doesn’t somebody quote Catholic teaching rather than their own beliefs.

I just love the Fatima claim that one 18 year old will be in purgatory until the end of time. If an 18 year old has committed such serious sins in her short life that she has earned almost eternity minus the end…what chance do the rest of us have? Again…this is personal and not the teaching of the Church. To assume otherwise is to believe in extra-church teaching that could very well be wrong. Actually probably is wrong.

Thank you Thistle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.