Will Billy Graham go to heaven?

Assuming Billy Graham continues to profess his current beliefs without a conversion to the Catholic Faith, do you believe he will go to heaven?

I am looking for an apologetic argument for or against.

Thanks!

going to Heaven or not is God’s decision. The Church don’t say only Catholic will go to Heaven.
What do you think God will do with him if he brings people come to know God. I am sure many people did not know God and come to know Him by Graham’s preaching.

I have no idea. I cannot read hearts. Here’s a relevant tract though:

catholic.com/library/Salvation_Outside_the_Church.asp

I believe without a doubt that Billy Graham will go to heaven.He is sincere in what he says and has spent 60 years of his life presenting the good news to people.God put a desire in his heart to do this and Billy obeyed.I know catholics believe it’s up to God to decide and ultimately it is but It says very clearly in the Bible that you can be certain of who you belong to and your final destination.If you only hope so what assurance is that?So up till your death bed you hope for dear life you make it to heaven and not end up in hell after a lifetime of commitment to God?If you believe in 'FAITH" there is no hope so maybe so.Billy has no doubt in his heart he’s going to heaven.You can know so!I feel sorry for those who don’t.It’s almost like playing a lottery.Being a catholic or protestant doesn’t save you but being a follower of Jesus Christ does.Let’s not forget that.

In other words, you are reading his heart? :slight_smile:

I am not talking about Billy, but there are people out there - on the outside they are the most devout Christians, but in their private, secret lives, there are things you don’t want to know.

He’s baptized, clearly penitent about his sins and believes in Jesus, his savior. If you don’t think he will persevere until the end, even with flawed, but still very Christian theology, then there is little hope for anyone.

But as another poster said, God decides.

Mel

Ok… you are all taking the easy way out of the question. Maybe I should rephrase the question to… “Is it likely or unlikely that Bill Graham will go to heaven?”

I am not asking anyone to be the final authority here… I am just asking for an apologetic viewpoint. Perhaps if you are not able to answer the question above, maybe you can clarify if whether what Billy Graham and his Ministry does has Mortal Sin consequences to it.

The question was do I believe Billy is going to heaven and my answer is yes.It says in the Bible you will ‘KNOW’ they are christians by their love.Is mother Theresa in heaven?Pope John Paul?The final decision is of course up to God but you can know where you’re going.Billy has his faults like the rest of us but when he tells you of his convictions I have no choice but believe what he says and not question him as long as what he says falls in line with the Bible.He’s no false prophet but he is a sinner like us all.

The thread should be something like this:

“Will non-Catholics Christian go to Heaven”…Graham is just an example of non-catholics.

That is up to God to decide…not me

Mt 7:21 - not everyone saying “Lord, Lord” will inherit
Mt 24:13 - those who persevere to the end will be saved
Rom 11:22 - remain in his kindness or you will be cut off
Phil 2:12 - work out your salvation in fear and trembling
1Cor 9:27 - drive body for fear of being disqualified
1Cor 10:11-12 - those thinking they are secure may fall
Gal 5:4 - separated from Christ, you’ve fallen from grace
2Tim 2:11-13 - must hold out to the end to reign with Christ
Hb 6:4-6 - describes sharers in Holy Spirit who then fall away
Heb 10:26-27 - if sin after receiving truth, judgment remains

While we can have an assurance that God will keep his promises, we cannot always predict our response to or our rejection of God’s grace.

So, if he somehow in the future commits a mortal sin, and he’s dead before confessing, will he go to Heaven?

I read what Defide asked me to see off of the CA website, and it states:

"However, for those who knowingly and deliberately (that is, not out of innocent ignorance) commit the sins of heresy (rejecting divinely revealed doctrine) or schism (separating from the Catholic Church and/or joining a schismatic church), no salvation would be possible until they repented and returned to live in Catholic unity."

We know out of fact that BIll Grahaham knew and understood what the Catholic Faith stands for… he has even spent time with many (hundreds I would gather) official Catholic Officials and Popes from around the world. In fact, he even has honory degrees from Catholic Colleges. He clearly is not ignorant. Does he most likely pass the above test?

It’s really between him and God.Only they know the certainty of your question but I trust that he is sincere in his faith.If you’ve spent the time to follow his life you would know he’s not showy or glitzy,he’s kept a clean record and if you can’t see sincerity in his preaching who do you trust?He presents the saving message as simply as he can and that is that we come to the cross,repent and ask Him in to your heart.

There are many people outside the Catholic Faith that are the same way… in fact, people like James Dobson and many others. But, according to Catholic doctrine, is what you said above most likely going to be good enough?

We know what’s going on in his head and in his heart? How? He may innocently hold some erroneous idea that is keeping him from the Catholic faith through no fault of his own.

catholic.com/thisrock/1999/9907chap.asp

There was a murderer on a cross beside Jesus.He asked Jesus to take him where he was going.Jesus told him,“today you shall see paradise”.It was not the catholic ways that saved him but his faith alone.A guy who spent all his life in sin was saved in his dying last days.You think that because Billy hasn’t converted to catholisism that he hasn’t a chance of being saved?How naive.I believe Mother Theresa is saved simply by the love she showed others and her confessed faith in Christ.So she’s catholic.What difference does that make?

Are you asking for our personal opinions? Because really, what else can we offer you? It’s already been stated that only God, who knows a person’s heart, decides who goes to heaven.

But if you want a personal opinion, mine is yes. I feel very good about him going to heaven.

One thing that drives me nutty about some Protestants are the web pages claiming to know who is in heaven and who isn’t. The truth is, unless a person is declared a saint, we can’t know.

Now if you ask me is it possible for a good man who isn’t a Catholic to go to heaven then I would say yes. Everything that I understand about Billy Graham says that he is a good man and Christian, so I can make a tentative guess and say that he will be in heaven but I can not know for certain.

Really, I don’t like these sort of questions.

Please correct me if I’m wrong here, you’re not asking specifically about Mr. Graham are you? You mean any seeming good Christian who loves his Lord Jesus the Christ?
It seems, from an initial impression, that you misunderstand the Catholic Church teaching about salvation outside of the Catholic Church. Is that what you want to know?
You need to remember there are different meanings to the word “Catholic Church”
The Catholic Church is the building in town where Catholics meet, usually daily, to celebrate the Mass. It is also the parish, the people who belong to that Church. It is also the diocese to which the parishes belong. It is also the Church headquartered in Vatican City, in present day Italy. It is also all of the believers who follow the teaching of the Pope and Magisterium. It is also those of the eastern rites. It is also those who have lived and died in the faith and have passed from this human existence and are either in heaven or purgatory awaiting heaven. It is also the body of Christ and as such encompasses every Christian past present and future. Here is what the “official” teaching is fro the Catechism:

[quote=http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm] "Outside the Church there is no salvation"
846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:
Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336
847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church: Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337
848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338

[/quote]

Basically every single human born is born into the Catholic Church. Christ came for all, not just a few, but for every man. Now after birth those who are brought up living the teachings of the Catholic Church, the one headquartered in the Vatican, would stand a much better chance of salvation. Please note I said “living the teachings”, not simply being a member of an organization. Those who do not live these teachings, either within the confines or outside of the confines of the Catholic Church may or may not be saved. How far from the teachings could you go before God says no, that’s too far? Only God knows, which is one reason the Catholic Church is extremely hesitant to say any individual is in either in heaven or in hell.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.