Will Cardinal Sean O'Malley Preside at Ted Kennedy's Funeral?

Given the tragic death of Senator Kennedy (I would not wish brain cancer on anyone) do you think that Cardinal O’Malley will feel compelled to celebrate Kennedy’s funeral at Boston’s Cathedral?

An interesting reflection that includes some discussion of whether the Church should have a Funeral Mass for Ted.

firstthings.com/blogs/theanchoress/2009/08/26/ted-kennedy-healthcare-purgatory/

As noted on a thread in ‘back fence’, and as remembered by me, the Catholic church has denied Catholic funeral services in very limited situations, usually when the deceased was a notorious criminal offender. This decision has never been made as to political differences, to my knowledge, and can only be made by a bishop.

So now we have a sitting US senator who has died. For comparison, the cardinal concelebrated the funeral service in Chicago when the Protestant **mayor **died in office. When you think about it, it would be inappropriate for the cardinal not to preside under the circumstances.

A bit off topic, but the following from the article struck me. It was by C.S. Lewis.

“Our souls demand Purgatory, don’t they? Would it not break the heart if God said to us, ‘It is true, my son, that your breath smells and your rags drip with mud and slime, but we are charitable here and no one will upbraid you with these things, nor draw away from you. Enter into the joy’? Should we not reply, ‘With submission, sir, and if there is no objection, I’d rather be cleaned first.’ ‘It may hurt, you know’ – ‘Even so, sir.’”

No it wouldn’t.

And such candor coming from a Protestant at that. Had Lewis lived 5-10 years longer, no doubt he would have converted to Catholicism or Orthodoxy.

Not a news article

There is a discussion about Sen Kennedy passing in the Politics 2009 forum

thread closed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.