Will Cuomo be refused communion now?

Now that NY has passed a gay marriage bill, and Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s efforts have obviously been fruitful in this regard, will he be denied communion? Add to this the fact the he is openly living in sin and scandal with a woman…

I have always wondered why the church seems to move a g l a c i a l pace when it comes to this sort of thing. In my opinion, instructions should have been given from Timothy Dolan straightaway to withhold communion.

His actions have made me so sad and angry at the same time. It certainly could make anti-Catholics look at the Church with even more disdain. I think it raises the idea that the Magisterium is a bunch of fuddy-duddys and enlightened Catholics are like Cuomo. (I have heard that argument within my family.) I sincerely hope Communion WILL be withheld from him. It would be scandalous to allow him in a Communion line. I wonder if anyone has the courage of their convictions to do it? But I wonder if Cuomo is actually even going to Mass...does anyone know?

I pray for this country. We are near the holiday that celebrates the creation of this great country, but our country may not survive if it continues down this path...

IHMO, he should be denied, but he probably won’t be. I don’t even know if he is a practicing Catholic. And I tend to think, like father like son. :shrug:

I pray he is refused, and more importantly, that he might repent.

He should not be given communion now, as he is living in a state of sin with his girlfriend. This just puts the icing on the cake as far as I am concerned. Who is his bishop? His bishop needs to lay down the law on this guy.

What about Grisanti?

[quote="Adonia, post:5, topic:245694"]
He should not be given communion now, as he is living in a state of sin with his girlfriend. This just puts the icing on the cake as far as I am concerned. Who is his bishop? His bishop needs to lay down the law on this guy.

[/quote]

Bishop Hubbard.

No he won’t be refused. I will be flabbergasted if that happens in NY.

The bishop of Brooklyn NY, announced that no member of the State legislature who voted for the bill will be allowed to speak at any Catholic institution in the diocese, nor accept any awards from a Catholic institution. This would include the Catholic Elementary school and High School in that diocese that Cuomo attended.

[quote="Joannm, post:9, topic:245694"]
The bishop of Brooklyn NY, announced that no member of the State legislature who voted for the bill will be allowed to speak at any Catholic institution in the diocese, nor accept any awards from a Catholic institution. This would include the Catholic Elementary school and High School in that diocese that Cuomo attended.

[/quote]

With all due respect....

Wow, he sure told them. :rolleyes:

But said nothing about receiving? That's the most important thing.

Not when he has the Rev.Ed Beck (of Good Morning America fame) in his back pocket.

Fr Ed said of the Cuomo family, “This is a very traditional Catholic family,” said the Rev. Edward Beck, a family friend who led the extended family in saying grace on Christmas Eve before the traditional Italian “feast of the seven fishes” at the home of the governor’s sister Maria Cuomo Cole.

More: nytimes.com/2011/03/19/nyregion/19cuomo.html

He should NOT be refused communion, and everyone -- and I mean EVERYONE -- who parades around declaring who should be refused communion ought to be 100% ashamed of themselves. No wonder so many people think Catholics are sin-obsessed and overly judgmental: Sometimes the stereotype fits.

Do I think Cuomo is correct in what he did? No. I think a lot of his actions are reprehensible...

...But by the same token, each of us has done, at some point, something in our lives for which someone somewhere would think WE should be denied communion.

We ought to want every pro-abortion, pro-gay marriage Catholic in Church, shouldn't we? Or shall we deny communion to everyone who ever put on a condom? Or who thought a lustful thought? Or missed mass? Or drove 1 mph over the speed limit to get mass? The minute Catholics start having the right to decide who should & should not be allowed communion, we're on a VERY slipperly slope, which leads to empty churches, and to the Gospel going unheard.

This from the Wall St Journal:

The new law's champion, Gov. Andrew Cuomo, was greeted with sometimes-deafening cheers from crowds that were more than 10 people deep in places.

...the focus was on Mr. Cuomo. Supporters walked ahead of his group passing out campaign-style signs that read "Thank You Governor Cuomo." A man standing in the back of a pickup truck with loudspeakers introduced him every few hundred yards as "the man who just signed marriage into law."

"This governor took complete control of the process. He ran the whole process through his office, and that was nothing short of brilliant," Mr. Paterson said.

Article: online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304314404576410081392706452.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

[quote="VonDerTann, post:12, topic:245694"]
He should NOT be refused communion, and everyone -- and I mean EVERYONE -- who parades around declaring who should be refused communion ought to be 100% ashamed of themselves. No wonder so many people think Catholics are sin-obsessed and overly judgmental: Sometimes the stereotype fits.

Do I think Cuomo is correct in what he did? No. I think a lot of his actions are reprehensible...

...But by the same token, each of us has done, at some point, something in our lives for which someone somewhere would think WE should be denied communion.

We ought to want every pro-abortion, pro-gay marriage Catholic in Church, shouldn't we? Or shall we deny communion to everyone who ever put on a condom? Or who thought a lustful thought? Or missed mass? Or drove 1 mph over the speed limit to get mass? The minute Catholics start having the right to decide who should & should not be allowed communion, we're on a VERY slipperly slope, which leads to empty churches, and to the Gospel going unheard.

[/quote]

You should put that much energy into defending the faith.

And what I stated was MY OPINION and NO I am NOT ashamed of myself. If anybody should be ashamed of themselves it should be Cuomo. I put up with his daddy for two terms and frankly I'm tired of the the so-called catholic politicians AND their defenders. If we just say to oursleves, "well, I'm a sinner so I shouldn't say anything", then we are not defending the faith properly. It's only hypocrisy when we try to take the splinter out of our brother's eye but fail to see the plank in our own.

That being said, Mr Cuomo and everybody else are in my prayers (to include me to keep my temper in check).

I can see where this thread is heading so I'm out of here. Tired of the p.c. finger waggers.

Pax†

[quote="VonDerTann, post:12, topic:245694"]

[/quote]

I am not ashamed for my viewpoint here. If I was doing what the Governor was doing and being public about it, then I SHOULD BE REFUSED THE SACRAMENTS! It's one thing to have lustful thoughts, go to confession, and then recieve communion. It is quite another to introduce a bill to the legislature that contravenes Roman Catholic teaching and then sign said bill into law. Governor Cuomo did not have to do this, he worked to make this law a reality. If the Catholic Church does nothing to the politicians who say they are catholic and who then contravene it's teachings, what's the point of the Catholic Church at all? Gov Cuomo needs to repent of his sins. I will pray for him. Untill he disavows gay marriage, get's an annulment from his first wife and stops living in sin with the woman he is now with and then stops supporting the killing of innocent babies, his bishop or priest should refuse him the sacraments. Anything else is a sham!

But CatholicFireman, I AM defending the Cathoic faith...I'm defending it from judgmental Catholics who want the Church to start denying Communion to others...which, as I indicated, leads merely to empty churches and hard hearts.

Adonia, you write, "If the Catholic Church does nothing to the politicians who say they are catholic and who then contravene it's teachings, what's the point of the Catholic Church at all?"

--The "point" of the Church is to lead people to God, NOT to "do something to politicians." Your apparently rhetorical question suggests you'd like the Church to "do something" * to politicians who disagree with the church. All that does is make the Church a political institution, and/or an element of revenge for those who want to "get" politicians who don't act in conformity with Rome.*

Canon 915 of the 1983 Code of Canon Law, states: “Those upon whom the penalty of excommunication or interdict has been imposed or declared,** and others who obstinately persist in manifest grave sin, are not to be admitted to Holy Communion.”**

So VonDerTann...are people being "judgmental" when the Church specifically says according to its own law to deny such people communion? Wake up and defend the right side! By that same logic the Church is "judgmental." I suppose St. Paul was "judgmental" as well for admonishing so many church communities for living in sin.

Forget your opinion or anyone else's. The Church says such people are NOT allowed Holy Communion.

[quote="rben20, post:17, topic:245694"]
Canon 915 of the 1983 Code of Canon Law, states: “Those upon whom the penalty of excommunication or interdict has been imposed or declared,** and others who obstinately persist in manifest grave sin, are not to be admitted to Holy Communion.”**

So VonDerTann...are people being "judgmental" when the Church specifically says according to its own law to deny such people communion? Wake up and defend the right side! By that same logic the Church is "judgmental." I suppose St. Paul was "judgmental" as well for admonishing so many church communities for living in sin.

Forget your opinion or anyone else's. The Church says such people are NOT allowed Holy Communion.

[/quote]

He really shouldn't be allowed to receive communion. Not only was he instrumental in having an immoral law signed, he is giving the world the impression that most Catholics support this and only the unreasonable backwards ones don't.

The sad part is a lot of Catholics probably do support it.

There is only a remnant, left Brothers and Sisters.

the Church at its height openly excommunicated kings and emperors. these sovereigns eventually repented and were brought back into the church. why can't a little new york governor get the same punishment.

[quote="Not_Sure, post:19, topic:245694"]
the Church at its height openly excommunicated kings and emperors. these sovereigns eventually repented and were brought back into the church. why can't a little new york governor get the same punishment.

[/quote]

Cause he thinks he's going to be the next president. He is the golden boy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.