Will God punish me?

I made a promise with God that I would not masturbate for a period of time and if I did masturbate, to punish me a bunch of different personal ways (health issues, relationships,etc) and I fell to temptation and masturbated. Will God punish me with those certain things I know that God does not punish for sins but what if I asked him to if I fell to sin. Also, I realize I need to go to confession.

I accuse myself of merorganizing a demonic cult. Now I am his by his lead and thus he says “Strengthen your brethren” (Lk. 22:32) to those in need. What a disaster I came to! I am no different then those who struggle, and those who struggle will find rest, if they be contrite.

The Vatican in 1970 said to uphold St. Thomas Aquinas as one of the highest teachers in the Church, he said in his commentary on Second Corinthians, "For since every evil must be punished either by man or by God, if he [God] does not punish here, it is better that a man punish in himself the evil that he has done than that God do it, because as it says in Heb. (10:31): “It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”’ (n. 272)

This is a recommendation by the Angelic Doctor to do penance, which is said a number of times throughout scripture. May I suggest two external solutions: a hairshirt, and the development of the devotion to the Rosary of the Holy Wounds.

The more prayer you partake in (ie. the Rosary and Eucharistic Adoration) the more you conform to a mission, and regain your sanity in the mode of your body.

The sacraments are to be dilgently recieved by those who are contrite.

“The Lord is near unto them that are of a contrite heart: and he will save the humble of spirit. Many are the afflictions of the just; but out of them all will the Lord deliver them. The Lord keepeth all their bones, not one of them shall be broken.” (Ps 33 [34]:19-21, vulgate)

Do penance and give yourself to others (ie. offering to buy a soda to someone in a convenience store - in most cases they will refuse your offer) and this is a just mode to a disordered circumstance.

We all have to admit our disaster, and take on Christ in his own disaster, and become him by being a gift to others, and thereby become a gift to God of his own likeness.

We cannot dictate to God what his punishment will be. Go to confession, do your penance, strive to resist temptation, and leave to God what is God’s.

The biggest issue here,is that you don't become obsessed with your own shortcomings ..

We ALL fail in some way…
Forget Yesterday , it’s gone… Live today humbly as if there is no tomorrow,
As Tomorrow will look after itself…
Live and work and pray that you will live long enough , so that you can look back on your life as if it were a brick wall,each brick represents one day of your life…
Live long enough that you can see the good strong work …
And long enough to see the sloppy brickwork…and where and how you could have done better.

Amen. Avail yourself to the Sacraments.
Mary.

You might be punished but it would be better for you to ask Gods mercy and try to do better. Also know that God is slow to anger but he wiil discipline you

I think you’ll find our Lord to be very merciful. Keep running the race.

"The consequences for a disordered soul are a disordered soul. “Saint Augustine”

Jesus said whoever sins is a slave to sin.

You need to be completely free of this slavery, or addiction, not for a certain period, but forever. There are two possibilities. Either it is impossible for you to gain purity, or purity is possible.

Surely with grace you can be free. Once free remaining free of any enslavement requires constant vigilance and determination, being on guard.

The addiction to illicit sexual pleasure is not unlike that of narcotics. It is a craving for a biochemical physical response. The addict has to go through withdrawal pains to get control over the craving. If he gets through the withdrawal period self control can be regained, but often help is needed. The spiritual helps are confession, prayer, especially the rosary, the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, intercession of saints.

Absolutely.

Penance is an integral part of the great sacrament of confession. Confess this sin, receive God’s abundant mercy and forgiveness, and then do whatever penance is assigned.

We all sin. With God’s grace we try to do better. Don’t beat yourself up about it too much. Just turn back to God with a humble and contrite heart.

Try this site, it has some very helpful info.

catholicbridge.com/catholic/masturbation.php

God is merciful when we fall.

The church has always said that indulgences are ways to make up for what we have done wrong. As well as charity towards others in work and prayers.

When kindness is expressed, Jesus said that we are doing it to him when we do it to others. So you can make it up to him by being understanding and good when called upon.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

First making promises to God is something we must think seriously? you might think that making promises to God is good, but not always. it is good as we offer something else, but those must be well tought, not just because we think we would be sinning if we don’t promise something.

read in the Catholic encyclopaedia about vows. and about if God will punish you, I can’t tell you how, but everything is paid in this life or the next one.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.