Will i be a God?

I have heard some catholics speaking about it being are destiney to Gods in God. I not sure if this makes sense. Can somebody please share there well spring of knoledge with me?

You will never be God. First, because there is only one God (and that’s obviously not you). Second, you were created, and since God was not created, but has eternally been, this violates the nature of God.

Now…to the quote or saying I think you are getting this idea from…

“The Son of God became man so that men may become God.”

This is a quote out of the Catechism of Saint Athanasius, that I think you may be referring to, but keep in mind it was written a while ago, with poetic license. The quote is basically saying if you go to heaven, you will inherit some God like qualities…as you are an adopted child of God. This basically means you will become more holy, as the Lord your God is holy. This quote was NOT meant to be taken literally though.

Are you sure they are Catholics? I am sorry if I asked that, because it’s not taught anywhere in the Catholic Church that we will become gods, or that I heard of a Catholic say he’ll become a god.

It is similar to the Eastern idea of Theosis. This quote reffers to the soul being united to God in our salvation, gained for us by the death of Christ on the Cross. Of course the soul does not become God Himself, nor a separate god.

You been talking to Mormons?

Getting to know God is better than being God. I personally think God knows everything therefore literally does nothing, this would be boring for obvious reasons; but through the course of infinite time, become more familiar with him, is the greatest treat of eternal life.

There is the notion of theosis or divinisation in which by grace, the Christian becomes united to God in such a way the human being becomes a ‘god’, but not by becoming one with God’s essence.

In heaven, and having a knowlege of Good and Evil, and sharing in the knowlege of God we will be LIKE God but not Gods per se’.

Beyond that I am unsure. Maybe this will help:

Php 3:20 For our citizenship is in Heaven, from where we also wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,

2Co 12:2 I know a man in Christ fourteen years before–whether in the body, I do not know, or out of the body, I do not know, God knows–such a one was caught up to the third Heaven.

Rev 3:12 The one overcoming, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall not go out any more. And I will write the name of My God on him, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem which comes down out of Heaven from My God, and My new name.

Gen 1:26 And God said, let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the heavens, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over all the creepers creeping on the earth.

Gen 1:27 And God created the man in His own image; in the image of God He created him. He created them male and female.

Gen 3:5 for God knows that in the day you eat of it, even your eyes shall be opened, and you shall be as God, knowing good and evil.

Gen 3:22 And Jehovah God said, Behold! The man has become as one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put forth his hand and also take from the Tree of Life, and eat, and live forever,

Mormons believe their men can become gods and populate their own planets. Is that what you mean?

Sometimes it’s called deification, as I recall. The part bolded above seems to be a good understanding of the issue

The temptation of Adam and Eve’s was to “become gods” without conformity to God; that has been turned on its head in Christ Who now offers us, through our obedience, not to become “gods” on our own, but to participate in His own Divine Nature that IS His has by Nature (cf. 2 Pet. 1:4-11). He invites us to participate in that Nature by grace.

We can “become” god-like by our participating in the life of Christ in the bosom of the Father, but we can never by nature be what each Person of the Trinity is and has by virtue of their Divine Nature.

We, by the grace of the Incarnation of the Son, may rise to share in that glory and already participate in it, though often unawares, through our participation in Christ - initially through Baptism, and subsequently through faithfulness to the sacramental life of the Church.

Humans now may share in His perfection by the grace won for us in Christ. What we can never be is what God is in Himself. By His grace He allows us to participate in the perfection of His Divinity, but it is never ours on our own since we are creatures.

If anything pleases [God], it is the exaltation of the soul. Since there is no way by which he can exalt her more than by making her equal to himself, he is pleased only with her love. For the property of love is to make the lover equal to the object loved. Since the soul in this state possesses perfect love, she is called the bride of the Son of God, which signifies equality with him. In this equality of friendship the possessions of both are held in common, as the Bridegroom himself said to his disciples: I have now called you my friends, because all that I have heard from my Father I have manifested to you [Jn. 15:15]. (Stanza 28, The Spiritual Canticle, St. John of the Cross).

This work of St. John of the Cross would be a great help to you in seeing something of the depths of this mystery of our identity in Christ.

Isaiah 43:10 rules out anyone becoming a God.

Most likely, your catholic brothern was speaking about “partaking of the divine nature” in Peter’s letter aka Theosis.

theosis.riewe.com/theosis_what_theosis_is_not.htm

There is, however, he adds, a more perfect knowledge of God possible in this life, beyond the attainments of reason even enlightened by faith, through which the soul contemplates directly the mysteries of Divine light. The contemplation in the present life is possible only to a few privileged souls, through a very special grace of God: it is the** theosis**, mystike enosis.

newadvent.org/cathen/10663b.htm

google.com/search?hl=en&q=partake+divine+nature+theosis+catholic±mormon±LDS

See II Peter 1:4

:wink:

[quote=Clovis;2436931Getting to know God is better than being God.** I personally think God knows everything therefore literally does nothing, this would be boring for obvious reasons
[/quote]

; but through the course of infinite time, become more familiar with him, is the greatest treat of eternal life.

How could God does nothing? and Him being bored?

; but through the course of infinite time, become more familiar with him, is the greatest treat of eternal life.
[/quote]

How could God does nothing? and Him being bored?

Perhaps he meant that God is unalterable and immutable thus, He cannot change?:shrug:

Actually i think the poster made a mistake of thinking of God passing from one moment of time to the next forever and ever.
Though this might at first seem boring, i would argue that, in the Love of God, Life going on forever and ever would actually be heaven. I do not think heaven will be much different then what we expereince in respect of moving from one moment to the next. It would just be on higher level, and everybody would be in love.

What I meant was this. God knows everything, in every conceivable universe, all the matter and every mind, in every thought, in every emotion, and all the goods and bads which arrive there of; not only that but how to react to each properly and give it the rebuke and care required. This is utterly impossible for any person, who sways on their own thoughts and emotions life a leaf on a tree limb. Since God has all things possible already at his behest, he simply isn’t entertained by neither us nor himself, nor anything, since anything is already in him. He knows each of us infinitely better than we know ourselves, and he wishes, as spoken of at the end in The New Jerusalem, to give us each not just life, but such glorious righteousness eternal, that no evil will ever harm us again for all eternity. Amen

The Mormons believe that baptized men have the potential to become gods and rule their own planets. In fact, they believe that God the Father was once a man and become a god when he passed on. Obviously, in the Catholic imagination, this is heresy. But, if we go to heaven, we will have the beatific vision and God’s light will shine on us like the sun shines it’s light on the moon at night - in that sense we will participate in the divinity of God but will never be God. Hope that helps.

By gifting us with Sanctifying Grace God makes it possible to share in the life of the Trinity. Increased Grace better ability to share. This grace raises our human nature up to a point where we are able to share. “To become gods” as it were. However we never lose our human nature and God does not lose his. No Sanctifying Grace. Go to hell and lose God. Simple.

In regards to the OP question,

perhaps freesoulhope heard those people talking about a a paragraph in the CCC #460 which states:

*460 The Word became flesh to make us “partakers of the divine nature”:78 "For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God."79 "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God."80 "The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods."81

***with quotes coming from ** “78” **(2 Pt 1:4), **“79” **(St. Irenaeus, Adv. haeres. 3, 19, 1: PG 7/1, 939), **“80” **(St. Athanasius, De inc. 54, 3: PG 25, 192B) & **“81” **(St. Thomas Aquinas, Opusc. 57, 1-4).

as shown on the Holy See’s website.

Yes; does that not mean that we will be Gods in God. Its says King of kings in the bible; i assume that we will be the Kings or the Gods that God is talking about. Of course what i am thinking might be a complete fabrication of what is being stated, and that is why i made the post, so i could learn. When i say “we will be Gods”, i take it to mean that we will have the nature of God, but we will not be Gods by are selves, only in God. Thanks everybody for the imput.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.