Will my Confirmation become invalid?

Hello. I will be receiving my Confirmation this afternoon but I am currently in mortal sin.. I had my confession last Thursday but I had purposely commited a mortal sin last Saturday.. I tried to go to confession on that Saturday evening but the confession line was too long and I don't have the chance to confess my sins.. I was extremely upset.. :( So,

1. Will my confirmation be invalid because of my mortal sin?
  2. Will I lose my graces that I was supposed to get after receiving confirmation by not receiving the Eucharist?

I will try to confess my sins to the priest as soon as possible before the Confirmation starts.. Pray for me brethrens.. :( I really feel hopeless right now..

Most priests will be able to listen to a confession any time of the day or night.

Just call at a reasonable hour & arrange to go round.

Pray, hope and don't worry!

PAX+

You need to confess before you receive the sacrament of Confirmation. While your confirmation would still be valid, you would be committing a mortal sin by receiving the sacrament in a state of mortal sin. Maybe you can get to Church early and ask whoever is confirming you to hear your confession before mass.

[quote="JoelEatMilo, post:1, topic:326165"]
Hello. I will be receiving my Confirmation this afternoon but I am currently in mortal sin.. I had my confession last Thursday but I had purposely commited a mortal sin last Saturday.. I tried to go to confession on that Saturday evening but the confession line was too long and I don't have the chance to confess my sins.. I was extremely upset.. :( So,

[/quote]

NO. You will be validly and licitly Confirmed by your Bishop at the appointed time, even if you don't make it to Confession beforehand.

1. Will I lose my graces that I was supposed to get after receiving confirmation by not receiving the Eucharist?

You will not be able to access the graces of your Confirmation until you have made a good Confession.

I will try to confess my sins to the priest as soon as possible before the Confirmation starts.. Pray for me brethrens.. :( I really feel hopeless right now..

Prayers going up for you to be able to make a good Confession before your Confirmation! :gopray2:

Can. 889 §1. Every baptized person not yet confirmed and only such a person is capable of receiving confirmation.

§2. To receive confirmation licitly outside the danger of death requires that a person who has the use of reason be suitably instructed, properly disposed, and able to renew the baptismal promises.

Can. 890 The faithful are obliged to receive this sacrament at the proper time. Parents and pastors of souls, especially pastors of parishes, are to take care that the faithful are properly instructed to receive the sacrament and come to it at the appropriate time.

Can. 891 The sacrament of confirmation is to be conferred on the faithful at about the age of discretion unless the conference of bishops has determined another age, or there is danger of death, or in the judgment of the minister a grave cause suggests otherwise.

These are, to my knowledge, the only sections dealing with the recipient of confirmation, and they make no mention of mortal sin being a problem. Obviously, though, graces cannot be received if you are in mortal sin, which would act as a dam, so to speak, but once you go to confession, prepare for the proverbial flood.

[quote="jmcrae, post:4, topic:326165"]

Prayers going up for you to be able to make a good Confession before your Confirmation! :gopray2:

[/quote]

Amen!

:gopray2:

This same thing happened to me before my confirmation, and I was able catch the priest before Mass and made my confession in about one minute. He wasn't annoyed or surprised. We have also had other posters in CAF in this situation.

Yes you will be permanently sealed with the sacrament of confirmation; it is valid even if you are in mortal sin at the time when you receive it.

Thanks a lot for your prayers guys! I did my Confession just 15 minutes before the Confirmation mass started.. I feel so happy and delightful! :D :D :D

[quote="JoelEatMilo, post:8, topic:326165"]
Thanks a lot for your prayers guys! I did my Confession just 15 minutes before the Confirmation mass started.. I feel so happy and delightful! :D :D :D

[/quote]

Congratulations brother!

=JoelEatMilo;10736378]Hello. I will be receiving my Confirmation this afternoon but I am currently in mortal sin.. I had my confession last Thursday but I had purposely commited a mortal sin last Saturday.. I tried to go to confession on that Saturday evening but the confession line was too long and I don't have the chance to confess my sins.. I was extremely upset.. :( So,

2. Will I lose my graces that I was supposed to get after receiving confirmation by not receiving the Eucharist?

NO!

The Confirmation is BOTH valid and licit.

However the FULL effects; ALL of the Graces possible will not be granted to you until you get to Confession. So make an appointment if necessary. Martal sin is VERY serious stuff.

God Bless you,

pat /PJM

[/quote]

God grant you many years! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

:D

Congratulations, and thankyou for telling us how it turned out.

[/quote]

YAAAY!! I always love it when a plan comes together. :)

:extrahappy: :dancing: :extrahappy:

[quote="marty1818, post:3, topic:326165"]
You need to confess before you receive the sacrament of Confirmation. While your confirmation would still be valid, you would be committing a mortal sin by receiving the sacrament in a state of mortal sin. Maybe you can get to Church early and ask whoever is confirming you to hear your confession before mass.

[/quote]

I never confessed before my confirmation. Of course I had just been baptized. That makes a difference right?

[quote="billcu1, post:14, topic:326165"]
I never confessed before my confirmation. Of course I had just been baptized. That makes a difference right?

[/quote]

After baptism, all of your sins (venial and mortal) have been washed away. You only need to confess mortal sins committed after baptism. Confirmation is still valid even if you were in a state of mortal sin. :)

[quote="billcu1, post:14, topic:326165"]

[/quote]

Of course, baptism washes away all of your sins and brings you into a state of Grace. It's also the initiation that makes confession possible. There is no forgiveness of sins without baptism (as per the creed).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.