Will my dog be in Heaven?

Oh, I like him a lot.

Ignatius Press has a video regarding him. I enjoyed it very much, but I know it was only loosely based on the real St. Phillip Neri. It’s a good movie, in my opinion, if you have not seen it. (But the Italians do seem to fully utilize artistic license when they make a movie about some saint.)

I do love reading about the saints, very much. I should do it more.

If the Bible’s any indication, animals will most definitely be in Heaven, however OP’s question is referring to their resurrection (Will my dog be in Heaven?). While God can do anything and resurrect whomever according to His will, the established order dictates that his dog, won’t, in fact be joining him in the afterlife.

Apologies then, allow me to rephrase

I believe FD96 was saying Jesus only redeemed human nature.
Somehow he went from there to saying our pets couldn’t possibly be in heaven.
I am unsure of the connection.

If God can resurrect Lazarus why cannot he do so for pets in the new earth.

All life comes from God,so when something dies that life returns to God from where it came from.

It’s very hard to believe that God will resurrect every animal. Why are pets so special? Why not, therefore, every insect, spider (uggh!!), dinosaur, fish, mammal, reptile and all the others I can’t think of at the moment.
The number would have to be in the trillions of trillions.

No, resurrection is for people. Otherwise, we are left with yet another sugary, feel-good eschatology, just because people don’t want to finally say goodbye to ‘Goldie the fish’ or ‘Old Yeller’.

Believe me, I’ve had pets (we all have, surely) that I’ve loved and grieved over, but they’re gone now. I know that. They are nothing like people.

God strikes me as a pug guy.

Sheep go to heaven. Goats go to hell.

That’s the Vatican calling limbo a “teaching,” not my sainted (in my opinion) grandmother. Surely you believe the Vatican!

For me it’s no harder to believe he will resurrect every animal as it is every person.

Show me the Church document stating that Limbo for Infants was/is a teaching. If you cannot then its just hot air.

Love the post, Jamal! Priceless!

I am curious as to why you believe this of “the established order”?

Ummmm, because of the love of their owners perhaps?
Same reason humans are so special…even above the angels in that regard.

So if our joy in heaven is incomplete without them I guess God would want to remedy that.
No eye has seen…

The question could be - Why is it important pets are in heaven.

If one’s gaze is fixed on the beatific vision why would we even care at that point?

Another point, heaven is an immaterial place where our immortal souls stay until the final judgement.

Hmmm… Maybe the writers of scripture were just dyslexic and should have been writing ‘d-o-g’ instead of ‘G-o-d’? :slight_smile:

See above, if bodies are essential to being fully happy then they must somehow have their needs and desjres fully realised in paradise too. Hence new earth and new heaven…our pets may be ready and waiting for us still.

Using that reasoning, we don’t need to be reunited with another person in heaven.

This is just my opinion but from what I’ve heard from Clergy of the years is this…

Part of the error of this thinking in a lot of ways is that the restorative idea of redemption is that Heaven is going let’s say back to Eden… when it is not exactly… It is more transcendent.

The bible mentions them in both places.

Whether animals are there or not doesn’t have much to do with the Christian idea of the resurrection.

But… Fr. Makes a point about how it is through Christ… and he is human.

Sooo… If you are Buddhist have fun being an insect after you were a god on the Hindu spectrum if you fail… because i’m sorry i still dont explicitly get what Nirvana is unless we are talking Kurt Cobain.(and I am not ruling it out)

Also whether a person is in Heaven or Hell at least in Christianity… They know why they are there… and in Christianity it is seen as lasting longer.

And at least for now… I think we are only baptizing humans.

Tree of Knowledge or Tree of Life?

From the Holy See:

INTERNATIONAL THEOLOGICAL COMMISSION

THE HOPE OF SALVATION FOR INFANTS WHO DIE WITHOUT BEING BAPTISED

The International Theological Commission has studied the question of the fate of un-baptised infants, bearing in mind the principle of the “hierarchy of truths” and the other theological principles of the universal salvific will of God, the unicity and insuperability of the mediation of Christ, the sacramentality of the Church in the order of salvation, and the reality of Original Sin. /…/

It is clear that the traditional teaching on this topic has concentrated on the theory of limbo, understood as a state which includes the souls of infants who die subject to original sin and without baptism, and who, therefore, neither merit the beatific vision, nor yet are subjected to any punishment, because they are not guilty of any personal sin. This theory, elaborated by theologians beginning in the Middle Ages, never entered into the dogmatic definitions of the Magisterium, even if that same Magisterium did at times mention the theory in its ordinary teaching up until the Second Vatican Council. It remains therefore a possible theological hypothesis. However, in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (1992), the theory of limbo is not mentioned. Rather, the Catechism teaches that infants who die without baptism are entrusted by the Church to the mercy of God, as is shown in the specific funeral rite for such children. The principle that God desires the salvation of all people gives rise to the hope that there is a path to salvation for infants who die without baptism (cf. CCC, 1261), and therefore also to the theological desire to find a coherent and logical connection between the diverse affirmations of the Catholic faith: the universal salvific will of God; the unicity of the mediation of Christ; the necessity of baptism for salvation; the universal action of grace in relation to the sacraments; the link between original sin and the deprivation of the beatific vision; the creation of man “in Christ”.

/…/

This present text was approved in forma specifica by the members of the Commission, and was subsequently submitted to its President, Cardinal William Levada who, upon receiving the approval of the Holy Father in an audience granted on January 19, 2007, approved the text for publication.

/…/

1. The idea of Limbo, which the Church has used for many centuries to designate the destiny of infants who die without Baptism, has no clear foundation in revelation, even though it has long been used in traditional theological teaching. Moreover, the notion that infants who die without Baptism are deprived of the beatific vision, which has for so long been regarded as the common doctrine of the Church, gives rise to numerous pastoral problems, so much so that many pastors of souls have asked for a deeper reflection on the ways of salvation /…/

Animals do not have immortal souls, so as nice as it is to think they will be, no I do not believe that they will be in heaven.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.