Will my letter reach the Pope?

I posted a letter to Pope Francis today and the Post Office did not have Vatican in their option. They asked me to write Rome,Italy below Vatican. I’m now worried whether my letter will reach him.

I’m sure the Rome postal service will deliver your letter to the Vatican.

It should be ok. Postal addresses usually work from the bottom up. So it’ll get delivered to Rome and the Roman postal service should deliver it to the Vatican

This is the Pope’s address:

His Holiness, Pope Francis
Apostolic Palace
00120 Vatican City

00120 is the Italian postal/Zip code for the Vatican. :slight_smile:

vatican.usembassy.gov/vatican/writing.html

I guess someone will just carry it over from the Apostolic Palace to the Domus Sanctae Marthae guest house. :smiley:

Thanks. I want to send a letter too.

:smiley:

Makes you wonder if he had to file a change of address form to get his mail forwarded. :wink:

Since there are more than a billion Catholics on earth, I think the odds of him seeing your letter are low. However, someone on his staff will see it and probably read it. If it is like a US Senate Office, the responses will be tabulated for a subject and the data will be used for decision making purposes. I imagine that you will receive a response in the Pope’s name written by a staffer. (It the procedure is the same as a Senate Office. Don’t be disappointed if you get a form letter. Just realize that he probably receives 10,000 letters each day.

It would be fun to go the Vatican and sit in during one of the papal public audiences.

Writing a letter is a nice idea as well - I’m not sure what I would say, or ask, however. It is very likely true that the Pope has a small staff which handles the letters and composes replies. :slight_smile:

not a tc subject

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.