Will not God forgive a 20-year-old sin if I am sorry?

Are there sins that God will not forgive?? I am divorced and have remarried. Does that mean that this sin can never be forgiven; that I am doom to go to hell becasue of a mistake I made 20 years ago. I find it hard to believe that God will not forgive me of this sin if I am truly repentant. I love God with all my heart and pray daily for His forgiveness of all my sins.
Thank you for answering my question

Dear friend,

God will always forgive whatever sins for which we are repentant. God will forgive the mistakes you have made in the past if you are truly sorry for having committed them. But such forgiveness is dependent on your having a firm purpose of amendment. In other words, you must be willing to try to not commit the same sins in the future.

If you were validly married the first time, the Catholic Church still considers you to be married since the state does not have the power to dissolve a valid marriage. Jesus said : “What therefore God has joined together, let no one put asunder (Mt 19:6).

It might be possible to have that marriage annulled. We don’t know that at this point. What we do know, is that you can’t be validly married to two different people at the same time.

If you continue to live with a man to whom you are not validly married, then you commit a mortal sin every time you have marital relations with him. This is the current sin that you seem to not be willing to repent of.

If you would like to discuss the further privately, just click on my name above and I will be happy to reply.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.