Will Protestants be surprised when Jesus judges them according to their deeds?

“For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.” (Matthew 16:27).

This declaration by Jesus pertains to BOTH evil works and works of Christian love.

Protestants will undoubtedly twist this unequivocal statement by Jesus to conform to their convenient preconceived notions about no effort being required on their part to enter Jesus’ Kingdom.

However, John 3:36 shows a clear dichotomy between those who believe in Jesus , and those who disobey Jesus’ commands: “whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.” (John 3:36).

Hence, belief in Jesus and obedience to his commands are necessarily MUTUALLY INCLUSIVE. The Protestants Christian A.W. Tozer elucidates: "“In the New Testament there is no contradiction between faith and obedience. Between faith and law-works, yes; between law and grace, yes; but between faith and obedience, not at all. The Bible recognizes no faith that does not lead to obedience, nor does it recognize any obedience that does not spring from faith.”

Those who do not obey Jesus’ commands do not love Him, and therefore, DO NOT BELIEVE in Him. Jesus said “if you love me you will obey my commands” (John 14:15).

What’s more, those who have heard Jesus’ commands but continue to disobey them would have been better off not hearing his commands at all. Verily, Jesus said that at the Second Coming, " the men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here." (Matthew 12:41).

I suggest you Protestants stop construing Sacred Scripture in such a convenient ‘sola fide’ manner

Would you be surprised if you’re wrong? :roll_eyes: These types of fire brimstone, we’re right/you’re wrong/repent threads are rather trollish I must presume. This is not the way to win over hearts and minds. Some of my best friends are Jewish, Atheists and Muslims and if there is a Heaven I know they’ll be there.

Better yet, I think rather than worrying about the salvation of others, we should concentrate on correcting our own shortcomings as the type of disciples Christ expects us to be.

I have a hunch very many of us will be surprised, notwithstanding our best teachers’ counsel. When we see the light shining on our lives :anguished:
Thank God for a place of purgation and the prayers of the saints!

GREAT POST,

I PRAY the message Is HEARD and accepted

THANKS so very much

God Bless

Patrick

It’s a nice thought, and I don’t doubt the charity involved with how you feel towards your friends of other faiths. Honestly though, if that were true, then it would also be true that there really wouldn’t be a need to be Catholic. extra Ecclesiam nulla salus seems to be harder for Catholics to accept then those who know the Catholic faith and still are not one with it.

well the honest truth is no one knows who gets into Heaven and no one knows what happens when you die, so be kind to one another always is a good philosophy.

We’re on the same page on that last point,I’m in total agreement. Like i’ve mentioned in other threads. I have far more non-Catholic friends than Catholic, both God fearing, and atheist. Some of these atheists are even kinder than the religious people I know. That being said, at every opportunity, they get a good dose of Catholic truth.

I tell them look, you’re a good person, but so am I. There is no heaven without God, not if we as Catholics know that heaven is where God dwells. Not only don’t we know who’s going to heaven, it is very reasonable to believe very few will make it there. If we love our friends, we’re obligated to let them know the truths of our faith. We can be firm and unapologetic, yet charitable and reverent.

Even if it’s not something they don’t care to hear. If we evangelize them because it’s their soul we’re concerned for and not our egos being correct, then at least maybe the narrow gate to heaven will open up just a little bit. every little bit helps.

Wouldn’t you say you’re also obligated to hear their truth and their warnings about how you’re wrong and they’re right? Another great reason not to mix religion or politics with friends or family if you want to keep them close.

I guess it depends how big a role faith is to your life. For me personally, I was able to separate the two(faith and family) in the past, certainly when I was a lot younger when I allowed other things to be the priority. Imagine though applying the separation of faith and family to a marriage. Could you live the rest of your life with someone who wanted nothing to do with your faith?

To me someone who’s a real friend will understand this disposition. I’m a Catholic., the faith is my moral compass that helps me navigate through all the turbulence i experience in my life journey. Shall I use a friends compass that will lead me to a different direction, where I can’t even be sure God will be at that final destination? I don’t know

We have to be careful about relative truth This type of truth is the secular worlds and pop cultures gospel today that have misled so many . It’s not enduring and often will be at odds with our Catholic faith. Again, it’s up to us Catholics to decide for ourselves how big or how small a role faith plays in our lives. Between, faith and God, family friends, being happy and being tolerant . The choice for me is easy.

Not if they have read Matthew 25:31-46

Protestant Christians’ deeds are often more Christian than many Catholics’ deeds. I would not be eager to see our churches judged by our deeds. Catholics might be in trouble, by that standard.

This type of thread makes me a bit uneasy.
I mean, we all get it wrong in this or that area–that’s what sin is. But God searches our hearts and judges us rightly.
You probably don’t mean it like this, but the title of the thread conjures up an image of God playing “gotcha” , or "see I told you so."
Anyhow, that’s my takeaway.

Exactly, this thread reeks of righteousness, pride, and like a self fulfilling prophecy it sounds like “Told ya so!” Anytime we lump people into us vs. them it can’t possibly end up well.

So I actually hope we are all surprised when we are judged by our heart and how much kindness and joy we brought into the world.

I am about as Catholic as you can get, and boy, I could not agree more with you.

I also agree. However, the issue at hand is Protestant distortion of Jesus’ Gospel. I cannot tolerate the distortion of Jesus’ Gospel into a convenient, no-effort-required “sola fide” solution

Concentrating on self-improvement and defending Jesus’ Gospel from Protestant distortion of it into a convenient, no-effort-required “sola fide” solution are not mutually exclusive. Defending Jesus Gospel from heresy is a duty of His disciples.

Conversion of Heart comes after Conversion of Intellect.

The OP is seeking Truth via his intellect.

We could all use a conversion of heart. No one here is a saint as far as I know.

I think you are wrong. I have never met anyone of a non-Catholic religion that can compare to the love of a good catholic. And Catholics do more good work as measured by secular standards (dollars/hours/etc…).

I tend to be ordered to the folks who are a little rough around the edges.

Some folks are turned off by overly kind language that does not emanate the Truth.

How do you expect to get to those people initially and convert them? Do you suggest we put Mr. Rogers on the front lines? (Disclaimer: I’m a Mr. Rogers fan too–nice fella, but not cut out for the front lines).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.