Will Protestants be surprised when Jesus judges them according to their deeds?

I think you’re missing the point of the example. Of course, nothing can compare to the love of a good Catholic. However, there are so many hypocritical Catholics, even among clergy, that often it can be observed witnessing a Protestant Christian displaying corporal and spiritual works of mercy in a more sincere way than a nominal, lukewarm Catholic. I have seen it many, many times.

I agree and see your POV–I should have taken more time to think about your post. Lukewarm was a great word to use.

Amazing how some who are so dead-set against judgmentalism end up being very judgmental! Dr. David Anders PhD, points out that each and every - 100% - of scriptural references to our judgement specifically state that it is according to our works.

Oooops.

I feel the same way, I think.

“remove the beam from your own eye, so that you may remove the splinter from another’s eye”

I think this is an interesting question, so I disagree with some people here who think it shouldn’t even be raised.
I think though that many, maybe most Protestants today, don’t believe in justification before God through faith alone. If you said to them that doing good things is something that wouldn’t earn God’s approval now and when we die, it would be an alien thought to these Protestants. In fact, I was a Protestant until I was 19, and I don’t recall hearing about the view of justification by faith in the church I belonged to.
I would think that some when they die would be surprised to learn that the belief about justification by faith alone does not hold true, but this would occur when many are being admitted to heaven.
Still, I would think that generally it is better to be a Catholic, so that, for one thing, you don’t have weird ideas.

We don’t ordinarily know who will be going there, but it sounds like it’s not very easy to get into right away.

The path is narrow ( a narrow path calls for a long, slow line). A wide path clears real fast.

One who speaks out against heresy does not necessarily have “a beam in his eye.” Jesus didn’t intend for that parable about the man with a beam in his eye to apply to anyone and everyone who you disagree with

Protestants are not guilty of heresy. They are guilty of schism. Some more so than others. Maybe some not at all.

No he intended it for our instruction. It is figurative language, and is directed (if I recall) towards judgmental types.

There is nothing wrong with being judgmental of the sola fide heresy which Jesus did not preach

I agree other than “heresy” may not be the appropriate word.

Can you explain why sola fide is heresy? Was Luther guilty of heresy or schism or both?

Protestants don’t believe that you can get into Heaven by being lazy. They just believe that good works are a side effect of faith (instead of being a separate component).

If someone claims to have faith but does no good works, or does a lot of bad works, then from the sola fide view they probably don’t have faith.

I agree. Not only are they trollish, they make Christianity as a whole look bad.

“These types of fire brimstone, we’re right/you’re wrong/repent threads are rather trollish”

“From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand” (Matthew 4:17).

The use of the phrase “good Catholic” bothers me. What? there are three kinds of catholics, or more? good, bad, lukewarm, self-deluding, etc." I think 'good catholic" is redundant. Are there “good” Jews and others? Protestants? Muslims? Hindus? etc.?

My evangelical relatives sort of spit out the words “good Catholic” perhaps suggesting the opposite, or more likely, disparaging both words. We all have our vocation, starting with the two foot by two foot square that we occupy. We have to convert that area and move on from there.

I don’t think “good Catholic” has a universal definition, any more than the expression “Common Sense.” Every time there is a new papal document, for example, the bar is raised for what a “good” Catholic is. Oct 2017, now, I’m too broke to be much of a good generous Catholic that I try to be.

When someone referred to Jesus as “good teacher” He replied that there is no one good but God. So, how do we apply Jesus’s words?

That is up to God to judge, not us mere mortals.

The Jews have determined that there are 613 laws in the Torah. Although, there are many expansions and new applications. I wonder if it would be beneficial to attempt to enumerate the laws of the New Testament?

The publisher Art Scroll has Jewish books. There’s one called The Six Constant Mitzvos, the laws that must be obeyed at every moment. The other 617 commandments have special applications at particular times. Would you be able to identify these six constant and immediate commands of the Bible?

What are you talking about? I fail to see how this is relevant to the question at hand.

Heresy is a harsh and uncharitable term to throw around. Protestants are not necessarily heretics. Heresy is related to Doctrine not the Gospel. There is much more to be considered before you can hang the tag of heretic on any one, namely, invincible ignorance. Without consideration of invincible ignorance, we have to conclude all non-Catholics have no avenue for Salvation, and that thought has been put to rest by the Church.

Rather than judge, it is our job to “work to correct the errors of moral conscience” (CCC 1793).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.