Will Purgatory cease to exist at the Final Judgment?

Hey everyone! I just had a question. Wouldn’t Purgatory cease to exist at the Final Judgment? I mean, it seems to me that it would cease to exist because that is the Final Judgment and not the Particular Judgment.

If I am not mistaken Purgatory is a state of being, not a physical place.

Indeed, the Catechism of the Catholic Church states that

1031 The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned.604 The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. the tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:605

and in the Compendium it is written

1. What is purgatory?

1030-1031

Purgatory is the state of those who die in God’s friendship, assured of their eternal salvation, but who still have need of purification to enter into the happiness of heaven.

So there is nothing that can “cease to exist”: when all human souls will be saved or damned, no being will be in the state that we call “Purgatory” anymore.

As the CCC teaches, there will be no need for purging at that time. Purgatory will cease to exist. All those in Purgatory are saved, and have been assured of the general resurrection into everlasting life.

yes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.