Will the Church allow the child to die to save the mother?

I’ve heard that the Catholic Church will allow an unborn child to die if it will save the life of the Mother if otherwise both the mother and child would die. I’ve also been told that whatever procedure this is, it is not an abortion. I’m seeking clarification.

Dear Chris,

The Church wants to save both. It sounds like you have heard of the example of a developing embryo getting lodged in the fallopian tube, causing the tube to expand and ultimately rupture. This is very dangerous and life threatening for the mother and the child if this situation is left uncorrected. The Church allows for the removal of the fallopian tube due to the abnormal growth contained within which, unfortunately, happens to be an embryo. The intention is to remove the damaged tube, not kill a child. As a matter of fact, if it were possible to implant the embryo into the mother’s uterus to also save the baby, that should be done. But the fact that medical science may not be advanced enough to succeed at this yet should not prevent the doctors from removing the damaged tube. But, again, the Church wants to save both. For more, read this article in the Catholic Encyclopedia:[LIST]
*]Abortion[/LIST]Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.