Will the real Islam please stand up!

After the horrible protest we have recently had in Sydney, a few muslims have come out saying they are disgraced by the way ‘a few of the minority’ have carried on. Koodos to them I say.
However, we see in countries, especially Pakistan, not a few, but a LOT are burning American flags and people are dying from these protests.
Some muslims claim that this is not the real islam, but from what we are seeing, im not agreeing with them.
Can muslims, or anyone prove that islam is not as bad as the impression they are giving?

Unfortunately sister that is the real Islam, Muhammed told his followers to act in such way , read the below hadith and you would see how Muslims should start changing what they see wrong first by their hands, if they could not then through dialogue, that is the principle…

Sahih Muslim, Book 001, Number 0079:
“…I heard the Messenger of Allah as saying: He who amongst you sees something abominable should modify it with the help of his hand; and if he has not strength enough to do it, then he should do it with his tongue, and if he has not strength enough to do it, (even) then he should (abhor it) from his heart, and that is the least of faith.”
[RIGHT]صحيح مسلم
أول من بدأ بالخطبة يوم العيد قبل الصلاة ‏ ‏مروان ‏ ‏فقام إليه رجل فقال الصلاة قبل الخطبة فقال قد ترك ما هنالك فقال ‏ ‏أبو سعيد ‏ ‏أما هذا فقد قضى ما عليه سمعت رسول الله ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏يقول ‏ ‏من رأى منكم منكرا فليغيره بيده فإن لم يستطع فبلسانه فإن لم يستطع فبقلبه وذلك أضعف الإيمان ‏
[/RIGHT]

Agree. :thumbsup:

Not long after the World Trade Centre atrocity, Tim Staples brought out a talk titled “Islam exposed”. Not good!
Islam views the non-Islamic (geographic) world as something to be taken in jihad, and then to have sharia law imposed on it…with all of the consequences of that! :eek:
We infidels won`t like it.

Deception (“Taqiyya” in Arabic) is a legitimate tactic in the quest for world domination.

Taqiyya is a particular concept related to a small minority of Muslims.I’d no more trust a lecture entitled,‘Islam exposed’ than I would one entitled, ‘Catholicism exposed’.

Is it not safe to state that “Islamic terrorists” are by large devout followers of Islam, following an example set by Muhammad’s behavior?

Just look at the history from its conception to now. That is the biggest problem with the claim that what we are seeing is not “real Islam”. You can see what the first followers believed by their actions, not historical revisionism. That is my biggest problem with those who claim that the Qu’ran advocates peace.

I hope I was charitable when I say this. I am not trying to offend anyone but I am telling people to look at what the first followers of any religion practiced.

Then we are in trouble as our first Pope betrayed Christ. Albeit he later repented and was forgiven unlike the other apostle who famously betrayed Christ.

The first Christians died for God and put up with persecution without fighting back.

id trust Tim Staples, a respected Catholic (ex-AOG) apologist, over a Muslim cleric, or any other spokesman for Islam. It wasnt a lecture: it was a 4-audio cassette tape set, distributed by Saint Joseph Communications.

I have no reason to trust or distrust Staples simply because he is a fellow Catholic. I would need to listen to the casettes in detail to form a more nuanced opinion but titles like ‘(insert religion of choice here) exposed’ send a red flag running up the flag pole for me.

Not necessarily.

That’s like saying all catholic terrorists have been devout followers of Church teachings.

Well, there’s this, which I’m frankly not surprised by. Libya is far more pro-Western than many believe, and the current leader of Libya was a professor of engineering at my alma mater of University of Alabama for 20 years. I suppose we could ask him about the situation there… I still have his email address and it works!

Libyans Storm Militia in Backlash Against Attacks on US
news.yahoo.com/libyans-storm-militia-backlash-attack-us-225317193.html

It is what it is, a religion whose own “holy” book condones the cutting off of heads and treating other faith traditions with contempt. In every age, Satan raises up a group of people to do his bidding. Sonme seventy years ago it was the Nazi’s and Japanese - today it’s the muslims.

We need to be aware of this fact and will probably have to fight them for a long, long time. That’s the reality of the situation.

If you want to understand Islam I would suggest you read the Quran. Keep in mind that when you read an English version (which is strictly forbidden in Islam) it is a more liberal version. The Quran was written in a time of war, and you’ll be able to see that quite clearly. I would also recommend having a well formed conscience.

Please cite the appropriate Surahs from the Q’uran to back this claim. Also be aware within living memory Catholics who acted purportedly in the name of the faith aided in the setting up of regimes that actually sickened some Nazis sent to report on them.

These kind of condemnations are dubious and edge close to bigotry, if not stepping right over the line and becoming.so. As you have invoked Godwin’s law it might be worth noticing that millions of Muslims fought on the Allied side in WW2. And of course in fairness some fought on the Axis side to.

Can you cite where it is detailed in various schools of Islam where reading an English translation of the Q’uran is forbidden? Certainly Islam regards it as best to read it in the Arabic original but I would like to see you back the claim you are making here.

Perhaps I was a little mistaken about the forbiddeness of Translation. But this link sorta talks about it.
from whom you fear
sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?47723-Is-the-Quran-Transliteration-permissible

However, my point wasn’t about the translation of the Quran, it was about what is IN the Quran.

hmmmm

Surah 4:34 “Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme.”

Surah 4:89 “They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing: But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah. But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and take no friends or helpers from their ranks”

Note, I’m not really sure how to reference the quran.

Two other things to keep in mind when seeing passages like these. One, these aren’t bad translations, all translations will say things similiar things, and that there are many more passages that promote violence. And more importantly Two, Unlike nearly all of the Old Testament verses of violence, the verses of violence in the Quran are mostly open-ended, meaning that they are not restrained by the historical context of the surrounding text.

My Muslims friends are using translations of the Quran. As far as I understand: Translations are not really forbidden but translations cannot claim to have the truth.

just like it would be best to read the Torah in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek.
Islam prefers that the Quran be read in Arabic. i don’t think it is forbidden to read it in English. Islam like other religions, welcomes converts and if someone were to read the Quran in English and then want to convert i don’t think they would be opposed to that.

that is what many people ask these days - what is the real Islam? in college, my minor was religion so i had to learn a little bit about Islam. i was baptized and confirmed in a Christian church. while in college, i did leave the faith. i lived in Spain for a year and travelled in southern Spain that was once ruled by the Muslims. i saw evidence of their influence in the food, music and architecture of southern Spain. at the time, i found it rather romantic. that was in the early 70’s.
i am 40 years older now and the more wiser. i no longer have any romantic thoughts of Islam being a peaceful relgion. i really don’t know what to believe anymore. i do believe that the terrorists are extremists and not all Muslims believe in the violence they resort to.
i believe in freedom of religion and not forcing your beliefs on someone else or persecuting others because they don’t believe the way you want them to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.