Will the second coming be physical or spiritual?

Will the second coming of Christ be physical or spiritual? I think most people would predict a physical second coming, but I sense that it will be spiritual, resulting in a spiritual revolution for mankind.

Is there any reason it would not be both?

I’m inclined to agree. The OPs question seems odd for a Catholic.

It, of course, could be both, but I’m predicting that we will be affected predominately by the Holy Spirit.

I might prefer a none of the above option. To say it is physical makes it sound like Christ is going to return within time and establish a physical Empire on this earth. To say it’s spiritual makes it sound like we’ll go on living on this same Earth but will just be spiritually renewed.

Neither of those really hit the nail on the head. To some degree, it is a mystery. But Heaven and Earth will be remade and regenerated. Christ will be physically amongst us and we will have physical, glorified bodies. But it’s something new and something wonderful and something more than this world we live in. It’s not a physical coming to this world as it is now. It’s not a spiritual change on this world as it is now.

Matthew 24:29-31 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
The Coming of the Son of Man

29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken; 30 then will appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory; 31 and he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Luke 21:25-28 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
**The Coming of the Son of Man

25 “And there will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and upon the earth distress of nations in perplexity at the roaring of the sea and the waves, 26 men fainting with fear and with foreboding of what is coming on the world; for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 27 And then they will see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 Now when these things begin to take place, look up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”

Seeing. Hearing. Perceived with two of our senses. The concept of a strictly “spiritual second coming” is 19th century made-in-USA nonsense. Effective nonsense, but still nonsense.

I tend to agree, but I believe we will have spiritual bodies.I do not know why, but I believe that there is going to be a spiritual revolution (maybe a spiritual renewal) before the resurrection.

Absolutely physical, RS, amigo.

He ascended physically, and His angel said that He would return the same was He had gone.

ICXC NIKA

The spiritual body (pneumatikon soma) is still very much a HUMAN BODY.

ICXC NIKA

It would be nice just to be switched off,isn’t a second coming anti semitic?

How can it be? It’s all about a Jewish world kingdom!!!:slight_smile:

Mmmmm.Texas always funny

The Church is very clear in that we will be resurrected with real, physical bodies. Glorified, but physical. To be a whole, human person, we must have a body.

*Mark 14:60-62 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
Jesus before the Council

60 And the high priest stood up in the midst, and asked Jesus, “Have you no answer to make? What is it that these men testify against you?” 61 But he was silent and made no answer. Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?” 62 And Jesus said, “I am; and you will see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven.”*

The high priest will see the coming of Christ in glory

Acts 2 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
The Coming of the Holy Spirit

17 ‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares,
that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh,
and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
and your young men shall see visions,
and your old men shall dream dreams;
18 yea, and on my menservants and my maidservants in those days
I will pour out my Spirit; and they shall prophesy.
19 And I will show wonders in the heaven above
and signs on the earth beneath,
blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke;
20 the sun shall be turned into darkness
and the moon into blood,
before the day of the Lord comes,
the great and manifest day.*

The Coming of the Holy Spirit = The Coming of Jesus Christ

The Risen Lord - will return as he ascended. See Acts

• Matthew 26Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)

And the high priest stood up and said, “Have you no answer to make? What is it that these men testify against you?” 63 But Jesus was silent. And the high priest said to him, “I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.” 64 Jesus said to him, “You have said so. But I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.*

The high priest will see the coming of Christ in glory, there and then.

The crucifixion, that was meant to be a humiliation, was a exaltation, a glorification. The high priest saw the glorification.

The high priest will see the coming of Christ in glory, there and then.
Actually, how can this be true, obviously this high priest died long ago, yet the second coming has not happened yet…so if he is dead, how will he experience the same thing as the living do?

On the one hand, Jesus may have been speaking to the entire crowd present and therefore speaking to men in general. He may also be referring to the destruction of Jerusalem only 40-ish years later, as the coming of the clouds is language frequently used by the prophets to describe God’s judgement (and Jesus equated Himself with that judgement and God, hence the blasphemy). He may also refer to His being raised up and glorified on the cross, and his Ascension to Heaven to be seated next to the Father, and the dawn of the Church.

The high priest did see the coming of Christ in glory, but did not understand it. Just as Nicodemus did not understand the nature of the Kingdom of God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.