Will we form a single soul in Heaven?

The Jews believe that all of Israel belongs to a single soul in Heaven. This is profound to me, and I was wondering if something similar may be true for Christians, based on the teachings of the CC? (Are we not now a part of the Chosen People of Israel?)

LOVE! :heart:

No, we remain singular souls united in Divine Love in the Most Holy Trinity. (Just as angels are unique beings.) Keep in mind that our souls will be joined to our individual glorified bodies in the Resurrection.

Can you provide a source for this statement?

No

Nope.

+JMJ+

Heck no!

Yes but a little different.
Each soul will be divinised and "absorbed into God’s nature (just as the Priest puts a drop of water into the chalice of wine).

In that sense will we all become One.

And yet, as far as I know, “I” will still be “I” in Heaven. God created each of us individually because He loves us and wants us to be with Him forever. Conglomerating us all into Himself or into one big soul-globule seems to go against that idea.

We will be one as the Father and the Son are one. They are truly one God, but still distinct Persons, capable of loving each other. So we must keep that in mind when we talk of our Oneness in Heaven.

Usagi

I don’t understand how they thought they were of one soul. Each of them believed they went to Sheole upon death. Those were individuals in there. I have gone to some of the Hebrew Catholic Organization meetings run by David Moss and I have never heard anything like your statement.

“The entire people of israel comprise a single soul; only the bodies are separate” -Tanya.

LOVE! :heart:

I interpret this differently: it would refer to the world, not heaven, soul rmeaning to an orientation towards God, a reflection of God’s covenant with his people. Metaphysically, it seems also not dissimilar to how we are one body in Christ.

At any rate, I did at some point believe that there was but one existence. I was at a loss to explain why being was fractured, like a broken mirror into all these different individuals. The final outcome in death, I considered might be either oblivion, just disappearing - as I had not been, I would no longer be. The alternative was to meld back into the primal energy, the being from which all existence emerged, the eternal font of all time. It was when a dear friend asked me about the nature of the soul that all these concepts revealed themselves as mere wisps of smoke in the face of the concrete reality who was that soul that posed the question. It sort of drew me out of my self-absorption, leading me back to the Church, whose teachings make sense of this reality.

BTW: you may wish to check out Pope Benedicts Caritas et Veritate:
vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20090629_caritas-in-veritate_en.html
Chapter 5: The Cooperation of the Human Family speaks to our being one and individual as spiritual beings who relate to and are able to love one another, all this reflecting the nature of the Trinity.

The Tanya, as I understand it, is Chabad Chasidic philosophy.

Why is the Tanya a relevant source when we are discussing Catholic concepts of the afterlife?

The teachings of the Catholic Church should be the relevant source.

The Catechism explains the relationship of the Catholic Church to the Jewish People.

839 “Those who have not yet received the Gospel are related to the People of God in various ways.”
The relationship of the Church with the Jewish People. When she delves into her own mystery, the Church, the People of God in the New Covenant, discovers her link with the Jewish People, “the first to hear the Word of God.” The Jewish faith, unlike other non-Christian religions, is already a response to God’s revelation in the Old Covenant. To the Jews “belong the sonship, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; to them belong the patriarchs, and of their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ”, “for the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable.”

That being said, as people of the New Covenant, we follow the Gospel. Our teachers are the Bishops. The Old Testament is an important part of our faith. But we study it as Catholics, not as Jews.

I think it’s wonderful to learn about Judaism. But Judaism not the faith of the Catholic Church. Ours is the New Covenant, based on the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. And you won’t find that anywhere in Jewish teaching.

No.

Catechism:

scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a12.htm#II

scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a11.htm#I

scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a12.htm#VI

The New Covenant was given to the Jews. We are gentiles that have been mercifully grafted on to the vine. Each covenant is the fulfillment of the previous one so what we as Catholics have today a partial ownership of the Original New Covenant given to the Jews.

To understand many of the things of our faith we must know where they came from and why they were. The New Covenant just doesn’t make things up but uses the perfections of the past. This is because truth is truth and God does not change His ways. For example, the old sacrifices and priesthood has been replaced with a new and better form of sacrifice and priesthood. Christ is the new sacrifice and the new high priest. Old sacraments that could not give grace by themselves are replaced by new sacraments that give grace.

Just thought I would add a few things and say that the Jews are our brothers and sisters in the faith. To me, gentiles are like foster children that have been adopted.

I think that the things you say are not found in Judaism are there. Sheole is the place of waiting for the resurrection in death. The promise of a savior is one of the important points in Jewish history.

We see that in the Old Covenant – that’s for sure. But the Jewish people don’t see it that way.

The main part of my question is why is the Tanya – a Chabad Chasidic work dating to the late 18th century – relevant when we are discussing Catholic concepts of the afterlife?

Chabad thinking represents just one perspective on the world to come. Per Robert, the Tanya says all Jewish souls will be one in the afterlife. Other Jewish ideas range from a Heaven, Reincarnation, to the destruction of the souls of the wicked.

According to non Chabad-Lubavitch Jewish views, Ha-Moshiach (the Messiah) is a mortal man who can arrive in any generation, depending on the piety level of the people. He is a mortal man, not the Son of God. He will introduce peace throughout the whole world. The Chabad believed that their last rebbe, the late Menachem Mendel Schneersohn, was HaMoshiach. Some believe he will return from the dead or that he is hidden.

In any case, Jews and Christians look at the Bible with two sets of glasses.

The original question was does the Catholic Church teach whether all Christians become one soul in Heaven?

Bookcat already answered those questions with his posts from the Catechism.

Non-Chabad source, Judaism 101.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.