Will we remember our X-life on earth when we are in paradise?

Will we remember our good & bad times on earth and how Satan had deceived us, or we will forget all of that?

There’s no real answer to this, though if we would go by Luke 16, Jesus seems to be of the mind that we will.

From my readings of the Saints and their revelations I say “yes”. The relationships of “son”, “mother”, “father”, “wife”, “husband”, “child” etc. would have no meaning if there was no memory. Our humanity is perfected in Christ not deprecated. So, memories of relationships must be preserved in some way to perfect love.

From scripture too we know that at the 2nd judgement that all the sins of the wicked as well as the forgiven sins of the elect will be made known to all - yet the latter, even the holiest of saints shall be not be shamed by their forgiven sins but rather glorified since they repented and trusted in Jesus. This means we will all know every other person who ever existed both before and after our time - at least at the moment of the 2nd judgement. We will know all the good and evil deeds no matter if they are in heaven or in hell. And we know that in heaven there is eternal joy so in some unknown and unfathomable manner we will not have tears for unpleasant memories nor for the loss of those damned. Those in heaven will rejoice in God’s justice and those in hell will be forced to admit that they are damned by their own choice and must suffer to exist eternally separated with the memory of the opportunity they forever lost.

James

Oh, I hope not!

DaveBj

Nice thread. Actually i was having the same question lately but not about whether we forget but rather about our emotional state regarding the past

I wonder of what use it will be to remember our sins in Heaven, because we will have atoned for these sins in Purgatory. Of course having knowledge of our past sins could make us rejoice more in the Lord for bringing us to Heaven despite these sins, but would this not also be a cause of unhappiness knowing that we had offended the Good Lord so much? We know there won’t be unhappiness in Heaven!

Ever come close to death or done something rally stupid and been saved from disaster by some apparently random event or act at the last second? It makes for great stories and real heartfelt and thankful relief!

Mary Magdalene will be forever known as one of the greatest repentants and lovers of Christ in all of history more so than she will be remembered for specific sinful acts. No doubt part of her repentance was praying to God and petitioning Jesus to forgive those who she sinned with and may have brought others to God. We can not know precisely how God mystically erases all traces of sin so revealed but we can assume He makes all things new just as He will the 2nd heaven and earth.

The whole purpose of the 2nd judgement is to let us see how our good deeds and our wicked deeds had effects on each and every other person in creation so that we can understand the profound justice of God and the wisdom of permitting free will and evil to exist and operate under His salvific grace for a greater good. If we do not comprehend how good triumphs in the end then the saved could not fully take-in God’s goodness and wisdom to participate fully to rejoice in his glory; nor could those condemned objectively admit that they are damned by their own choice.

James

I think we’ll have MUCH better things to occupy our minds when that happens.

There is a statement in Revelation that goes something like this; 'they can rest because their good deeds follow them.'
This seems to imply that the things we did on earth through Sanctifying Grace will come to complete fruition. I think in heaven our good works will be what has made us what we are and everything else will have been burned up and gone. So in heaven our deeds done in vain will be forgoten but the good deeds will be what we are made of so those times will join us in eternity.:harp:

In hell I think all that we are is what made us anti-God. I think just as the Saints in heaven can rest because their good deeds follow them the damned are eternally restless because their evil deeds follow them.:banghead:

Can I understand from that, if I did a sin and I confess it to the Priest at the Church, on the Judgement day everyone would know about it?

I was taught that when you confess your sins in the Sacrament of Reconciliation, God will not only forgive but also forget your sins. (Jeremiah 31:34 I think) And if God has chosen not to remember that, why would it be brought up again?

And besides, wouldn’t that break the Seal of the Confessional?

Object of the judgment
The judgment will embrace all works, good or bad, forgiven as well as unforgiven sins, every idle word (Matthew 12:36), every secret thought (1 Corinthians 4:5). With the exception of Peter Lombard, theologians teach that even the secret sins of the just will be made manifest, in order that judgment may be made complete and that the justice and mercy of God may be glorified. **This will not pain or embarrass the saints, but add to their glory, just as the repentance of St. Peter and St. Mary Magdalen is to these saints a source of joy and honour. **
More here: newadvent.org/cathen/08552a.htm

I am not personally comfortable with the whole of humanity knowing my past either - trust me. There are NO secret deeds - NONE. But God’s Justice apparently requires that both sinner and saint’s every deed be made known to every other so that they may access the perpetual effects of their good and bad deeds and see the equality and perfect justice of it all.

James

What about those guys that quizzed Jesus about the wife that was married to 7 brothers that all died and which one would have her in heaven? The way I read it, earlthy relationships in heaven are of no longer of consequence, because the presence of God is so overwhelming, it wipes out everything else.

I can’t remember the verses or I’d post, can anyone help and add their :twocents:

Jesus was responding to the Saducees. A sect that refused to accept legitimate developements of their faith. They didn’t believe in the resurrection as the Pharisees did. They didn’t believe in heaven or angels either. They believed immortality was structured on continuous generation and faithfull recall in memory within patristic family lines. So for them immortality depended on sex and marriage.

So the crux of Jesus message was ; Man marries because he dies and that makes it neccessary to reproduce. In heaven there is no death so there is no reason to reproduce therefore no reason for marriage. Oh yeah Jesus snuck in ‘those worthy of the resurrection’ as a little zinger to point a Saduccee mind to the value of a celibate life.

oh, and that Truth exposes their error by contrast. Alot of contrast. :cool:

So the crux of Jesus message was ; Man marries because he dies and that makes it neccessary to reproduce. In heaven there is no death so there is no reason to reproduce therefore no reason for marriage.

Ok, so you’re not reunited with your spouse? Or is my logic wrong? Does anyone have the verse where this conversation took place?

We are reunited with our spouses just as we are our friends and entire heavenly family in a special way pleasing to God. The marriage bond is no longer in force per say but we can assume that the relationships we had on earth, are enhanced and perfected in heaven and will bring us much joy. This would not only be with our spouses but also with all others in heaven whether we knew each other on earth or not.

I read somewhere that some mystics believe that spiritual intimacy within the communion of the saints will be more common than a handshake greeting and infinitely more pleasurable and intimate than anything we may have experienced “in the flesh” on earth. Remember no sin can take place in heaven and there is no rejection of love of God nor each other. It just consumates at a different and better level that we can not know yet. Only God knows the details of the beatific vision and had not yet revealed this information. All we know is that life in heaven will be more wonderful than anything we can imagine since it transcends the limits of our sensual nature and operates over the full spectrum of a spiritually enhanced human dimension that will share in certain aspects of Jesus’ very divinity. We are essentially hippostatically bound to the triune Godhead through Jesus! Can anyone say “beam me up”? :smiley:

So we should all be confident that our spouses are not only going to retain a memory of us they will have a super special fondness and love for us. Just because Jesus says we live like the angels and do not marry in heaven does not nullify the memory of the relationship. It gets infinitely better - not worse.

James

Indeed! And lets not forget that a a man and woman in heaven who were married on earth are in heaven because they fulfilled the requirements of their vocation. I can’t even imagine what it must be like for two people to have shared one life that got them to heaven. The hidden love for each other would be known. I personally think as God would rejoice over that earthly life that ended in glorifying Him so would all of heaven.

Luke Chapter 20

**27Some Sadducees-those who argue that there is no resurrection-approached him and they put this question to him,28’Master, Moses prescribed for us, if a man’s married brother dies childless, the man must marry the widow to raise up children for his brother.29Well then, there were seven brothers; the first, having married a wife, died childless.30The second31and then the third married the widow. And the same with all seven, they died leaving no children.32Finally the woman herself died.33Now, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be, since she had been married to all seven?'34Jesus replied, 'The children of this world take wives and husbands,35but those who are judged worthy of a place in the other world and in the resurrection from the dead do not marry36because they can no longer die, for they are the same as the angels, and being children of the resurrection they are children of God.37And Moses himself implies that the dead rise again, in the passage about the bush where he calls the Lord the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob. * [Ex 3:6.] 38Now he is God, not of the dead, but of the living; for to him everyone is alive.'39Some scribes then spoke up. They said, 'Well put, Master.'40They did not dare to ask him any more questions. **

27Some Sadducees-those who argue that there is no resurrection-approached him and they put this question to him,28’Master, Moses prescribed for us, if a man’s married brother dies childless, the man must marry the widow to raise up children for his brother.29Well then, there were seven brothers; the first, having married a wife, died childless.30The second31and then the third married the widow. And the same with all seven, they died leaving no children.32Finally the woman herself died.33Now, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be, since she had been married to all seven?'34Jesus replied, 'The children of this world take wives and husbands,35but those who are judged worthy of a place in the other world and in the resurrection from the dead do not marry36because they can no longer die, for they are the same as the angels, and being children of the resurrection they are children of God.37And Moses himself implies that the dead rise again, in the passage about the bush where he calls the Lord the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob. * [Ex 3:6.] 38Now he is God, not of the dead, but of the living; for to him everyone is alive.'39Some scribes then spoke up. They said, 'Well put, Master.'40They did not dare to ask him any more questions.

Thanks for the post and the verse.

Now maybe I’m wrong but I’m reading this we are children of God in heaven, our lives on earth, are no longer what matters, because He is the God of the living.

It seems to me Jesus answered them by saying, there is no need for marriage in heaven, all glory goes to God, so thus the issue of whose wife she is of the 7 is of no consequence.

That might be a hard concept for some to grasp, it is for me, but it is what it is, because Jesus seems to be telling those boys, not gonna matter how many husbands she had on earth, in heaven the focus is on the Father.

I’m not a bible scholar so my interpretation could be wrong. Anyone else wanna take a stab at it?

Thank you James for the link and explanations, but where it indicates that our sins will be known by others, from the link I can understand that our sins (good and bad) will be known, but infront of whom?, I understand it will be infront of only God and the concerned person, not infront of God, the concerned person, and all other human-beings.

Imagine if you have a lot of friends on earth, and all of them died, later on the judgement day, you discover that all of them have committed sins that you personally don’t accept, thereby you may not consider them friends anymore in paradise, then doesn’t that makes us pointing our mistakes to each others in paradise !.

Moreover, that is another contradiction with Allah (Islamic god), where some Christians and all Muslims consider Allah to be God The Most High, Allah says on the judgement day according to Mohammed authentic hadith that he will screen the Muslim infront of the others:

Sahih Bukhari, Book 43, Volume 3, Number 622:
(E) usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/043.sbt.html#003.043.622
(A) hadith.al-islam.com/Display/Display.asp?hnum=2262&doc=0&IMAGE=%DA%D1%D6+%C7%E1%CD%CF%ED%CB

Sahih Bukhari, Book 73: Volume 8, Number 96:
(E) usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/073.sbt.html#008.073.096
(A) hadith.al-islam.com/Display/Display.asp?Doc=0&Rec=9078

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.